New build in TN started.

New Home Forum LowRider Your Builds – LowRider New build in TN started.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 136 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 137 total)
  • Author

Russ Heffner
    Participant

Thanks for the advice to flip over the board.

RussH

Ryan
    Keymaster

Did you swap the lcd cables to see if one of those went bad?

Russ Heffner
    Participant

Yes I swaped  the cables.

When I checked the 5v power on the back one of the two pins next to each other had no voltage. Are both pins supposed to have voltage.

But what I noticed now is tge LCD has a dim backlight with the plugs in one direction.

Thoughts?

Ryan
    Keymaster

The LCD only works plugged in one direction.

Russ Heffner
    Participant

Hey Guys, When my router finishes it’s cutting cycle the Z axis drops all the way down.

I have gone to setup in estlecam three times to set this, At origin, Above origin, Above last position, all three ways the Z axis drops all the way down.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

RussH

Ryan
    Keymaster

I Thought I sent you the new firmware.

If you flash the newest firmware it fixes that, it is the only reason I did the update. It was right about the time I sent yours, I thought that is why I waited a few days to send it…bummer. Either way the flash is easy and solves that.

Russ Heffner
    Participant

Thanks for getting back quickly. I have never flashed firmware. Is there an explnation on your site?

And where do I find the download to flash?

Thanks

Ryan
    Keymaster

Step by step with pictures, take is slow and it should be no problem. There will be an error message as stated at the end of the instructions.

Firmware

Russ Heffner
    Participant

I get going on it

Thanks again

Russ Heffner
    Participant

I have been on the Arduinio website for the past 2 hours trying to figure out how to flash my Rambo so the Z axis will stop falling when the cut is finished.

I do have tha instructions how to flash the Rambo board. I have downloaded Arduinio but I cannot find the Sketch_Mar29a / Arduinio 1.8.1 page with the menu file edit sketch……

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Russ

Ryan
    Keymaster

That sketch means nothing that is the generic name that popped up when I opened the arduino program. You don’t load anything until the 9th picture where it says to load the .ino file, and you will load the current minirambo firmware.

Ryan
    Keymaster

At the bottom of the Lowrider page I actually describe another way to avoid this issue. It is how we used the machine before the problem was fixed. You drive past your starting point and set the machine down before powering off.

There are always multiple ways to do things.

Or, if you leave a little room you can drive past your starting point and lower automatically.

G1 Z7 F420 (already there)
    G1 X-15 Y-15 F2100 (drive 15mm past your start)
    G1 Z0 F420 (Lower the machine)
    M84; Turn steppers off

Russ Heffner
    Participant

Z axis still dropping.

I am using Repetier not an SD card.

I load the program I want.

After I set the xyz axis’s I zero in repetptier with G92 x0 y0 z0.

The program runs fine the z axis lifts a littls goes to the starting point and cuts.

Then the z axis raises goes back to x0 y0 z0 then suddenly drops the servos power off.

It does not hold in the x0 y0 z0 set in repetier at the start.

I tried seting the G92 x0 y0 z0 G1 x0 y0 F2100 together that did not work.

Then I set the G92 x0 y0 z0 send. Then G1 x0 y0 F2100 send

All with the same results.What am I doing wrong?

Russ

Ryan
    Keymaster

You need to load them in your gcode, as in edit your file or put them in the program tabs as start and end gcode.

sfd
    The aromatically resets my current position to Zero as soon as I hit start.

When the program finishes it holds it’s current position, above the origin at the clearance plane height.

fghj

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

How are you using the giant lowRider from a usb cable? Try using the screen and the memory card. The firmware fixed the position hold when programs are run from the SD I have never used USB on the lowRider CNC so I don’t know if that will hold or not, I do not think so, without changing the ending settings.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Repetier is killing your hold by default.

fhhjg

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Russ Heffner
    Participant

Ryan,

As always you are on the ball. Thank you very much for your help and patience.

Russ

Russ Heffner
    Participant

Will a spindle turning faster RPM’s give a better quality cut than the Dewalt router? If so has anyone know what brand fits works with a low ryder?

Thanks

Russ

Kevin Lopez
    Participant

Tough answer, the quality of your cut is dependent on Si many things. But to answer just your question, no probably not. You don’t want any higher rpm then the routers already are. Any faster and you will have to move the bit around so fast to keep your chipload on check.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Generally we want a slower RPM. The 611 is pretty nice all around and hard to beat. In the MPCNC it is just physically to large but in the LowRider the size doesn’t really matter. It has variable speed (the only thing better would be integrated PID control), low runout, tons of power, runs for hours and stays cool, easy to mount, no special VFD.

A better way to ask is what problem are you trying to solve? As in why switch?

Russ Heffner
    Participant

Ryan do you sell a zeroing plate for the MPCNC machines? If not were do I get one?

Thanks,

Russ

Ryan
    Keymaster

I do not sell them.

You don’t even have to buy one you can usually make one. there should be a few threads in here about it and I know esltcam/christian has a video. Basically it is a alligator clip from your z endstop ground pin that you clamp onto your bit, and a metal surface of a really thin or know thickness wired to the z endstop signal pin. My most recent video shows one I whipped up with my business card.

If you surface your cuts before hand or cut all the way through there is no need for a z probe. usually they are only used for tool changes, but even then “Some old guy coding” made a video on doing it without one, I made a post about it on the site.

Every wire you add adds a lot of complexity to your gcode/CAM.

Russ Heffner
    Participant

Hello All,

I have a n about the V motors. Is there a way to move them separately so I can get each side to the same height?  I have been doing it manually but I am afraid I may ruin the motor moving it under power.

Or even a better solution is how do you guys keep the two motors (lead screws) in equal height to each other after shut down (restart)? The spring in the coupler’s take up alot of slack and do not seem to be even… I am sure you know what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance

Russ

Ryan
    Keymaster

I start the lowrider at the bottom. I give the leadscrews a feel by hand to make sure they are engaged. Then only move the machine with the LCD that way they always stay right where they started.

You shouldn’t have any spring in the couplers. The leadscrew and the stepper shaft should touch, at that point you can slightly stretch the coupler to keep it in engaged, only stretched by 1/8″-1/4″

Ryan
    Keymaster

You can operate the steppers independently, but I have not done a write up for that yet. I am waiting with my fingers crossed to get the firmware edits pushed into the main marlin code before spending too much time writing things up that might change.

Russ Heffner
    Participant

When I save my file in Estlcam (save CNC program) it is now saving as an NC file not the usual Repetier Host file.

What did I screw up?

Russ

Bill
    Participant

Look in CNC Program Settings. The .nc extension is the default. R-H expects .gcode instead, but works with either.

Ryan
    Keymaster

This is where you can change it.

Russ Heffner
    Participant

I have done that and it still says in the File extention – NC

On the screen shot sent the file Ext. says G-Code.  Should my file ext. say G-code or NC?

Thanks for the help

RussH

Jeffeb3
    Participant

In the screen Ryan showed you, you just type in gcode. Then in the save dialog, it should save it as .gcode

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.