new Build in Edmonton area

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC new Build in Edmonton area

This topic contains 27 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Jonathan 1 day, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Jonathan
    Participant

Hello everyone,

im currently building the MPCNC, I have all the parts printed and the  conduit, I’m just waiting on some nuts and bolts (ebay purchased cheaper but longer wait).

And I’m trying to decide between going with a 500w air cooled spindle or with the dewalt 660, which one would be quieter?

Barry
    Participant

Spindle. Until you add a shop vac and start milling, then it’s a wash.

Bryan
    Participant

I am using a Makita RT0701C. It was about the same price as the dewalt plus it has constant speed control under heavy load. May eliminate the need for a PID speed controller that is talked about on these forums. I modified a tool holder off of thingiverse to be able to attach the spindle to the standard z axis. Also added dust collection and a removable mount for a laser. I can share the stl files.

Kelly D
    Participant

I went with the 660 and then got to thinking a quieter spindle would be nice. But then after looking deeper into it found the power of the 66o was better than a spindle so I stuck with it. I’ve got bluetooth ear muffs so I don’t mind ; )

My machines are in Sherwood Park if you ever wanna come by and see it or have any questions.

Jonathan
    Participant

Lol 🙂 Ya I don’t think I could convince my wife to wear ear muffs all the time. Mind you she wouldn’t be able to hear my crazy ideas while wearing them.

Im in the park also, and would be very interested in coming to have a look at your machines.

Kelly D
    Participant

Absolutely! I’ve got a busy few days here ahead of me but if you want to swing by Thursday or Friday just come to the house with all the ice carvings out front on Nottingham Blvd. That’s my place. #394

Let me know when you think you might pop by so I can make sure I’m around. One of my next projects is to tear apart the big MPCNC and rewire it with the Rambo (currently running a mini).

Jonathan
    Participant

Ok Thursday works best for me right after I get off work, does 4ish work for you?

ice carvings awesome, can’t wait to see them. I know I have seen a house with wood carvings out front on that road. Is that your place?

Kelly D
    Participant

Quite likely guilty as charged. I think I’m the only one on this stretch anyway. Thursday I’ll be dropping my oldest at music lessons but should be back here by 4:30 if that works.

Jonathan
    Participant

Ya the wife and I saw a house with the wood carving a couple years ago when we where looking at houses in that area, was really close to being your neighbor less then 10 doors down.

Ya 4:30ish works for me, gives me some time to let the dog out to pee.

David Walling
    Participant

I recently switched from the dewalt to a 500w spindle. Yes, the shop vac is the loudest part, but… to me, the spindle has a lower pitched buzz to it than than the dewalt does. Because of this, it at least is easier on the ears to me than the dewalt. This is with hearing protection on. I also sometimes wear noise cancelling headphones and they do a better job with the lower frequencies than the higher pitched squeal of the dewalt.

The spindle does have less power, but I also like that it has a true variable speed that’s easier to use.

I don’t think I’ll be putting my dewalt back onto the machine.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jonathan
    Participant

Thanks David for your input, I do like the idea of a true variable speed control.

Kelly D
    Participant

Headed home now. Might be a few minutes late. Enjoy the ice carvings till I get there 🙂

Jonathan
    Participant

Kelly it was great meeting you and checking out your machines. It’s  definitely givin me some insight and direction. And Don’t forget to text me

Jonathan
    Participant

So after a couple months of waiting for some parts to finally get here.  and so far not all the parts have shown up either. but here is the state of my current MPCNC. I have moved it around lots without it really doing anything, which got boring really fast.  So decided to try my hand at the Crown test. I must say using the Ball point pen probably not the best choice as i noticed that i was putting a lot of pressure on my pen tip and im sure it was affecting the look of the Crown.

after my test I noticed that the Z will cover a distance of 75mm with only moving it about 39mm on the lcd. its currently set to 800 steps per unit and the X & Y are currently set to 200.  im using a T8 rod.

If anyone has any ideas regarding the Distance of the z is moving please chime in.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Jonathan.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Try setting the Z to 400, or if you have exact specs to your T8 and stepper drivers you can use the prusa calculator for an exact number.

Brent
    Participant

Fun to see a few builds happening locally.  I just wrapped up building a lowrider2 also in Edmonton. There are at least three of us in the Edmonton area from this brief look.  Good luck with the build.

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

the Z will cover a distance of 75mm with only moving it about 39mm on the lcd

Looks like you’re using a RAMPS with DRV8825 modules? Did you place all 3 jumpers on the stepper config under the Z driver? Sometimes the jumpers lose their little metal clip and look like they’re working but not actually making contact.

Jonathan
    Participant

Fun to see a few builds happening locally. I just wrapped up building a lowrider2 also in Edmonton. There are at least three of us in the Edmonton area from this brief look. Good luck with the build.

Thanks Brent, it’s always good to know some of the local guys. Are you building the mpcnc also?

the Z will cover a distance of 75mm with only moving it about 39mm on the lcd

Looks like you’re using a RAMPS with DRV8825 modules? Did you place all 3 jumpers on the stepper config under the Z driver? Sometimes the jumpers lose their little metal clip and look like they’re working but not actually making contact.

Yes I am using a Ramps 1.4 with the DRV8825, yes I placed all the jumpers and I even double checked that there where installed. I ended up bumping my steps down to around 453 from the 800 and I noticed that the z was moving in a more  consistent 1mm movement.

Jonathan
    Participant

Last night I got the spindle mounted, and noticed I had some binding in a couple spots a long my Z. I’m hoping they will go away when I get the right coupler shows up in the mail.  I’m currently using the pineapple coupler that Ryan had designed, but there is no flat spot so my stepper with break free sometimes when it binds.

All i I have left to do is build the dust shoe for the spindle, which I noticed had 4 screew holes in the end of it so that’s where I will be mounting my dust shoe. And I also have to extend the wiring on the spindle. So it’s coming together slowly.

and I might increase the height of my legs. I noticed after I get the end mill in the spindle with it mounted as high up as it goes I only have clearence for 1.5″ of wood.

Thank you Ryan for the great design.

Brent
    Participant

No plans to build an mpcnc, one’s enough for me, and I agree it’s good to have some local resources on top of this great forum.

David Corscadden
    Participant

I am also in north Edmonton and have a 24×30 mpcnc up and running but haven’t had the time to really start playing with it. Running a dewalt router and will have a needle cutter for foamboard as well as a dragknife for vinyl cutting.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jonathan
    Participant

I am also in north Edmonton and have a 24×30 mpcnc up and running but haven’t had the time to really start playing with it. Running a dewalt router and will have a needle cutter for foamboard as well as a dragknife for vinyl cutting.

The needle cutter is interesting, is it kind of like a tattoo gun and just pushes the needle repeatly thru the foam board?

i also looked into a dragknife but currently don’t have a use for one, as I already did the bench interior of my old truck.

Charles
    Participant

Re: noise, I built this (used a spare hobby RC brushless motor and ESC) and it’s pretty quiet.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3574173

Jonathan
    Participant

Re: noise, I built this (used a spare hobby RC brushless motor and ESC) and it’s pretty quiet.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3574173

I saw that one when I was looking for a cyclone. I didn’t think that one would have enough sucking power. So I ended up printing the other one that a vacuum attaches to. I also found a 120v 2amp AC motor with squirrel cage so I might try adapting it to work.

Are you able to talk around it when it’s running? Do you run it off the same power supply that you use for your board? Do you notice any saw dust coming out the exhaust?

Kelly D
    Participant

Jonathan – just throwing this out there….is your shop setup such that you could plumb dust collection out a window or even through the exterior wall? I wonder if a silenced box for the vacuum, placed OUTSIDE and made to look like, oh I don’t know…..a doghouse or something would be an option for you. Not to put the noise on the neighbours – you’d still be soundproofed (the vac enclosure) but it’d be absolutely silent inside for you and the little one. And the Mrs. trying to catch any rest she can.

Charles
    Participant

@jonathan

I can definitely talk over it. It’s not super effective, but enough for at least my small 1810 machine. I’m not doing big cuts on it, I’m working on CAM for a necklace for the girls bday. It’s small and tricky since I’m trying a fancy flip milling mechanism, but check the sawdust in the bucket 🙂

Currently running off a lipo (hobby ESC), but will switch to an AC adapter when I get time. Total cost was $6 for a set of name brand Roomba hepa filters that I added to the model to keep it extra clean.

Brent
    Participant

These little cyclone setups are pretty neat, and they seem pretty good for form considering the size.

Jonathan
    Participant

@jonathan

I can definitely talk over it. It’s not super effective, but enough for at least my small 1810 machine. I’m not doing big cuts on it, I’m working on CAM for a necklace for the girls bday. It’s small and tricky since I’m trying a fancy flip milling mechanism, but check the sawdust in the bucket 🙂

Currently running off a lipo (hobby ESC), but will switch to an AC adapter when I get time. Total cost was $6 for a set of name brand Roomba hepa filters that I added to the model to keep it extra clean.

Well it’s nice to see they work, if the one I printed off doesn’t work then I will have to give that one a try.

Jonathan – just throwing this out there….is your shop setup such that you could plumb dust collection out a window or even through the exterior wall? I wonder if a silenced box for the vacuum, placed OUTSIDE and made to look like, oh I don’t know…..a doghouse or something would be an option for you. Not to put the noise on the neighbours – you’d still be soundproofed (the vac enclosure) but it’d be absolutely silent inside for you and the little one. And the Mrs. trying to catch any rest she can.

I had thought about that, but the closest window is like 15 feet away, which is Way to far away.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.