My mpcnc project!

This topic contains 143 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Brandon 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes! You can also do engrave, which will follow the line.

As for the paint, it does look good. When you do want the better contrast, clear coat it then paint, then sand. The clear stops the paint from soaking in so far and makes sanding easier. Then clear coat again.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Brandon
    Participant

Engrave which line or all?

Ryan
    Keymaster

It’s just another option for this sort of thing.

Brandon
    Participant

Pretty sure your Zsteps should bee 400 not 300.

I may need to change my steps to 400? I cut this sleep block but the letters are only 3 mm deep when they should be 6 mm.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m not 100% on your parts to give you an exact number.

But to go twice as far you need to double the steps. While you are at it measure all three axis to make sure they are moving correctly.

Brandon
    Participant

X and Y move 50mm like they should. Z however moves 25mm when I try to move it 50mm.

Attachments:

Brandon
    Participant

800 steps/mm seems to be the correct number.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, 400 is for the 16th stepping Rambo. Sorry about that, I should have caught it.

Brandon
    Participant

Here is 3mm for real this time…

Ryan
    Keymaster

You need some Vbits, they are perfect for that. You have had a bit of a rocky start but you are progressing fast now. The machine seems to be spot on now, what’s next?

Brandon
    Participant

You need some Vbits, they are perfect for that. You have had a bit of a rocky start but you are progressing fast now. The machine seems to be spot on now, what’s next?

Would I use the 1/8″ end mill on this?

https://3axis.co/front-end-loader-r-6-mm-dxf-file/51rjvro6/

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, 1/8″ single flute is the easiest for that sort of thing (most things).

Brandon
    Participant

I got a few pieces cut out. I was trying to print one larger piece but the dewalt kept sinking the bit in the board so I decided to call it a night.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well those pieces look pretty good at least.

Bill
    Participant

If by sinking the bit in the board you mean random Z movements that aren’t in the code check your speeds. Any Z speed that’s too high will cause those types of issues, and often the defaults are too high.

Brandon
    Participant

If by sinking the bit in the board you mean random Z movements that aren’t in the code check your speeds. Any Z speed that’s too high will cause those types of issues, and often the defaults are too high.

I forgot to zero the axis before starting the cut. It worked fine the next day.

Brandon
    Participant

Almost there…. awe crap the end mill bit wasn’t quite long enough to cut the heart out. I had the bit pushed up into the Dewalt too far. Doh!!!!

Brandon
    Participant

I could probably speed things up a bit don’t you think?

What should adjust?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Bummer.

Not moving faster but deeper per cut (which is much faster than moving faster), go to 2mm then try 3mm. See what works for you. For slotting 5mm is about as far as you can go and still get the chips out per pass. Pocketing can usually go much deeper when using peel.

That looks like a great project to cut a few times and change the settings to get a feel for it.

Try giving it a quick thin clear coat before painting it, it prevents the paint from soaking into the tiny cracks. Way less sanding.

Barry
    Participant

Probably keep the feeds the same, but do 2 or 3 millimeter depth of cuts.  You kind of have to adjust for what you’re cutting.

Hah!  Ryan ninja’d me.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Barry.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Great minds….

Brandon
    Participant

2mm depth and much faster. 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

That looks great!

Do you think you can do 3 or 4? I think 3-4 for slotting is pretty safe. Those pockets should easily be handled at full depth.

Brandon
    Participant

Painted.

Viewing 24 posts - 121 through 144 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.