Cramer's LowRider Build

New Home Forum LowRider Your Builds – LowRider Cramer's LowRider Build

This topic contains 55 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 3 months ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Brandon
    Participant

A few questions…

Does this look correct for the X stepper wiring? Which direction do I plug into the board?

2018-10-24-12.50.23

Ryan
    Keymaster

Power it off before you plug or unplug anything.

For the steppers it is a 50/50 chance you get it right. each build is different depending on your builds orientation.

Getting Started

Brandon
    Participant

Sweet. Seems to be working. Yes, power it off!!! I’ve fried plenty X5 Mini’s..

The knob of the display when in the case is near impossible to push down. Is the knob height adjustable?

2018-10-24-13.11.04

Ryan
    Keymaster

Some old Guy Coding , had a tip for that. Add a tiny piece of the zip tie cutoff into the slot before you put the knob on. All the ones I have in use are tight enough not to sink down very far, guess I am lucky.

Brandon
    Participant

So how do I get the knob off then? Hammer? Crowbar?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Just pull straight out.

Brandon
    Participant

How does this LCD clip mount on the LowRider?

Sam Warmuth
    Participant

I haven’t done it myself, but Ryan said it gets zip-tied to z stepper. The question actually came up yesterday in the LowRider “Advice” forum: https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/lcd-top-clip/

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I will add a picture now.

Brandon
    Participant

Brandon
    Participant

I think I see a possible issue with this table. The top table part of this is using 2×6’s for the frame. I guess a work around would be to mount a 2×4 on the outside of the 2×6. I hope that makes sense…

I’ve already cut my X stainless steel rails to 36 inches which leaves about 33 inches of width to play with. Y will be about 65 inches. That should give me enough room to mess around with any 2’x4′ piece of wood.

I’m getting closer to having this working!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I don;t see why you couldn’t just add a 2×3 on the outer edge. It doesn’t seem like it would interfere with the folding, but I could be very wrong.

Brandon
    Participant

I don;t see why you couldn’t just add a 2×3 on the outer edge. It doesn’t seem like it would interfere with the folding, but I could be very wrong.

I think I will add the 2×3 on the outside edge. I can’t see an issue with it. I will cover the entire surface with mdf so that the LowRider rides on the mdf. I don’t have a whole lot of room left for cutting 24 inches.

LowRider

Attachments:

Brandon
    Participant

Great design! This thing is awesome!! Thank you Ryan!

I didn’t get much done today but I did pick it up off the carpet and put it on the desk…

2018-11-16-16.22.24

2018-11-16-16.22.35

2018-11-16-16.23.22

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It sure looks like it has a purpose there.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That first picture looks fake, like a render. You have two half built machines, they are so close, both of them.

Brandon
    Participant

I decided to scrap the whole foldable table. I added the 2×4’s on the end so the LowRider couldn’t roll off the table while I get it setup.

So question… Should I put this table on rollers so it’s easier to move around? I’m not sure if that would cause me trouble when cutting something.

Ryan, if you wouldn’t have uploaded that YouTube video of the LowRuder last night it might have been at least another year before I got motivated to get this done.

I will need some break in gcode. Do you have any handy?

A4BCAD10-6255-468F-9B02-7FFA4929E8C4

Jeffeb3
    Participant

So question… Should I put this table on rollers so it’s easier to move around? I’m not sure if that would cause me trouble when cutting something.

It won’t hurt it. It might move a little, but it’s no big deal. The important thing is the bit relative to the work and they’ll both move the same.

I will need some break in gcode. Do you have any handy?

Have you done the crown?

BT
    Participant

I’ve got mine on casters that I can lock into place.  It works fine and allows me to shift it in my smallish workroom.

Brandon
    Participant

Working on a new enclosure for my MPCNC and LowRider V2. 4′ x 8′ x 86 inches tall. I framed in the table part and put down some MDF for the LowRider to roll on. I usually screw each part down when I cut it. What are my options for adding holes or even threaded holes to hold down the part being cut?

2019-04-13-1541_3

Greg
    Participant

Threaded insert for hardwood or T-nut for softwood?

Brandon
    Participant

Threaded insert for hardwood or T-nut for softwood?

So inserts or t-nuts in mdf then waste board and then material?

Greg
    Participant

I’m still at the design point but I’m doing a torsion box out of MDF and thinking about gluing hardwood blocks at some of the intersections of the spars and running the threaded inserts into them through the skin.   They would mostly sit along the edges although I would have some in the middle for smaller stock.  Then I would use the bolts to tighten hold downs onto the work piece and spoil board from the side.

T-nuts install from underneath so they have the disadvantage of having to use longer bolts.

T-Track might be an option as well but my top skin will be too thin for that.

Barry
    Participant

I cut a series of holes across the table top and spoil board.  Use bolts and wooden hold downs after that.  They’re also big enough to run a clamp through for really long stuff I’m not going to cut on one end.

Brandon
    Participant

If I was to go the t-track route how far apart should I place them? I can get them 36” long. So 36” across. Is every two feet close enough or do I need them closer? My bed is 33” x 8’.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I always optimize this too much. I would put one at 0, 3″, 9″, 21″ and then continue at 24″ increments. You can use the closer together ones to do fine adjustments. You really only need one place that you can clamp a 1″ wide board.

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.