Cramer's LowRider Build

New Home Forum LowRider Your Builds – LowRider Cramer's LowRider Build

This topic contains 55 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 3 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Brandon
    Participant

So I almost had all the parts printed and the wood cutout when I saw V2. I got to have the latest version of course so I’m printing the v2 parts.

So should I paint the wood parts black or just leave it as is? All my printed parts will be translucent red pla. I painted the v1 parts black but if I were to paint v2 I’d use something with much more shine or glossy look.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Black shows saw dust…wood is like camouflage for saw dust.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Brandon
    Participant

Black shows saw dust…wood is like camouflage for saw dust.

Ahh good point. I will just leave it as is. Looks like this is 1/4 mdf right?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Nope 1/4″ and 1/2″. I have updated the parts page.

Brandon
    Participant

Nope 1/4″ and 1/2″. I have updated the parts page.

1/2” it is. 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry, 1/4″ for the dewalt plate, and 1/2″ for the sides. Sorry, I will go in and clarify that right now.

Brandon
    Participant

Sorry, 1/4″ for the dewalt plate, and 1/2″ for the sides. Sorry, I will go in and clarify that right now.

Okay no problem. So I have one side done, the second failed for some reason. I still have plenty of 1/4″ to cut the dewalt plate.

I have this one piece printed for V2. This translucent red filament is great! Looks good.  I had printed 21 pieces of the V1, but I have to have the latest of course!

Brandon
    Participant

Is there a list of parts that need printed for V2? I’m not sure about quantities.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Brandon
    Participant

Thank Ryan, for the quick shipping of my order!!

Progress for today.

I need to print more pieces…

2018-08-06_15.37.51-2

2 users thanked author for this post.

Brandon
    Participant

I usually get this EMT from Home Depot. With that in mind I went and got the 1” x 10’ conduit. $10 a piece. Turns out that is the inside dimensions. The outside is 29.5 ish mm. The 3/4” conduit is 23.5mm.

Where would I get the correct size for this LRCNC?

frosty
    Participant

Where would I get the correct size for this LRCNC?

If you are in the US, check out this thread: https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/us-source-for-25-4mm-stainless-tube/

Brandon
    Participant

Would this work?

https://www.zoro.com/zoro-select-tubing-0902-in-id-1-in-od-aluminum-4ntf2/i/G1624007/

Comes out to about $60 with free shipping and a 15% discount.

Progress for today:

image-2018-08-09

Ryan
    Keymaster

I usually get this EMT from Home Depot. With that in mind I went and got the 1” x 10’ conduit. $10 a piece. Turns out that is the inside dimensions. The outside is 29.5 ish mm. The 3/4” conduit is 23.5mm.

Oh no….stainless tubing is what you are looking for usually from a metal supplier.

Brandon
    Participant

Oh no….stainless tubing is what you are looking for usually from a metal supplier.

Besides look, what does stainless steel do for me? It’s about twice the price.

Ryan
    Keymaster

More rigid. On the MPCNC parts page or FAQ’s page you can see a “quick and dirty” test I did. A 5′ span needs all the help it can get.

Brandon
    Participant

More rigid. On the MPCNC parts page or FAQ’s page you can see a “quick and dirty” test I did. A 5′ span needs all the help it can get.

I will go with Stainless. Will this work? Seems to be the right wall thickness.

2018-08-10-13.24.05

Brandon
    Participant

2018-08-10-13.24.05

For some reason I can’t “Insert into content” pictures anymore.

Mitch
    Participant

Yes that should work20180810_172120_resized

The picture of my tube was to test the functionality of the insert into content.

Brandon
    Participant

Brandon
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks like it was some sort of caching issue, I have no idea….

Build looks amazing though!

Brandon
    Participant

Looks like it was some sort of caching issue, I have no idea….

Build looks amazing though!

Yes it does! I’m really impressed with the quality and design of the LRCNC. I’d rank this up there with one of the best things I’ve every 3D printed! Great job Ryan!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wow that is a pretty cool thing to hear, thanks.

Brandon
    Participant

Is this normal to have that gap?

8ADD7569-3D18-466E-ABF5-1E5FCCBD8C4E

Is this stainless as shiny as it will be or should I treat it with something?

Aaron
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that gap needs to be there. If there’s no gap, then how can you be sure you are tightening the pieces together?

mulze32
    Participant

Stainless is usually a shiny metal because of its surface finish and treatment.

JDGreen
    Participant

Your machine looks great

BT
    Participant

The gap is expected.  You don’t want to overtighten the assembly, it will just crack the plastic.  Just make it tight enough that the pipes do not move.  This is a lesson I hope I don’t need to learn again – I had to reprint a couple of the parts for my MPCNC because I cracked them when I was assembling them.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The rail can not extend all the way through. There is a ridge in the printed part. When you lower it to fit the gap should be smaller, but yes there should be a 2-3mm gap a bit less when snugged up.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.