Auto Squaring, My axis is hella square…

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Hardware Development – MPCNC Auto Squaring, My axis is hella square…

This topic contains 126 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 8 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Yann, you need to install the library u8glib. In Arduino, there’s a library manager and you can search for it and install it.

Are you a newbie to cnc or just Arduino? The dual endstops is an advanced CNC tool and not required for most workpieces. You can square the machine before powering the motors and it will stay square through the operation. The dual endstops just automates that.

bern
    Participant

finally getting back to my MPcnc, which i use mostly for 3d printing.. jus came across this dual endstop, auto squaring..

i’m correct, that this is not possible for 3d printing.. as one looses the use of a exturder. (ramps 1.4 board)

Auto Square, Dual EndStops

Ryan
    Keymaster

Correct, not without wiring in another external stepper driver and editing the firmware.

Karl Hagström
    Participant

I am getting an error when compiling the “MPCNC_Rambo_T8_16T_LCD_DualEndstop” it sais:

In file included from sketch\src\inc/MarlinConfig.h:29:0,

from sketch\src\Marlin.h:25,

from sketch\src\Marlin.cpp:31:

sketch\src\inc/../pins/pins.h:762:8: error: #error “No E stepper plug left for Y2!”

#error “No E stepper plug left for Y2!”

^

In file included from sketch\src\inc/MarlinConfig.h:34:0,

from sketch\src\Marlin.h:25,

from sketch\src\Marlin.cpp:31:

sketch\src\inc/SanityCheck.h:296:4: error: #error “Y_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS requires Y2 pins (and an extra E plug).”

#error “Y_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS requires Y2 pins (and an extra E plug).”

^

exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

ny idea of what that could be?

and when trying the none dual endstop version for Ramps, I get an error saying: fork/exec C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc.exe: The filename or extension is too long.

I guess it’s not my night… Is marlin 2.0 the way to go for auto-squaring, or is there a 1.1x version out there?

Older version RC7 works great and compiles without any problems!

https://github.com/Allted/Marlin/tree/MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop

/Kalle

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You have to define pinouts for the E2 driver. If you’re using E0 for one, then you need to set those pins to something else, like 70 so it doesn’t interfere.

I think the latest beta version of Arduino is needed to compile 2.0. the latest stable Marlin had the changes, but AFAIK, Ryan does not have a preconfigured version for it.

Karl Hagström
    Participant

I thought that was allready done in the “DualEndstop”-version?

Where is E2  defined? pins_RAMPS.h, pins.h, or one of the config-files?

is this what i’m suppose to change?:

#define E0_STEP_PIN 70 //26
    #define E0_DIR_PIN 70 //28
    #define E0_ENABLE_PIN 70 //24
    #ifndef E0_CS_PIN
    #define E0_CS_PIN 70 //42
    #endif

#define E1_STEP_PIN 26 //36
    #define E1_DIR_PIN 28 //34
    #define E1_ENABLE_PIN 24 //30
    #ifndef E1_CS_PIN
    #define E1_CS_PIN 42 //44
    #endif

To what??

Thanks for quick reply!

/Kalle

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Pins_ramps.h

That looks close, but you also need E2. X2 will move to E1 and Y2 will move to E2.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Are you using ramps or not? Because this change is right for ramps (which is when you got the extension too long error). If you’re not using ramps, then the pins file will be different.

To fix the too long error, you have to use the latest version of Arduino. I haven’t fixed that error myself. I use Linux. I’ve just seen Ryan suggest that in these forums. IIRC, he’s also suggested something about moving the project to C:/tmp/ out something smaller.

Karl Hagström
    Participant

Yes! Ramps 1.4..

So, is there an example somewhere that shows thet correct settings for pinout ramps with dual x and Y?

Is there a pinout map i have to find to sets the right pina?

/k

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    #define E0_STEP_PIN        70 //26
    #define E0_DIR_PIN         70 //28
    #define E0_ENABLE_PIN      70 //24
    #define E0_CS_PIN          70 //42

#define E1_STEP_PIN        26 //36
    #define E1_DIR_PIN         28 //34
    #define E1_ENABLE_PIN      24 //30
    #define E1_CS_PIN          42 //44

//mpcnc
    #define E2_STEP_PIN        36
    #define E2_DIR_PIN         34
    #define E2_ENABLE_PIN      30
    #define E2_CS_PIN          44
    //mpcnc

Jeffeb3
    Participant

@Ryan has been trying to keep that branch up to date with Marlin, but I think something got lost in an update. I think this should have had that:

https://github.com/Allted/Marlin/tree/MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Heffe linked the file you should use. If it give you issues use the Beta version of arduino, I have a marlin 2 version but I updated it yesterday and have not verified it.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

I probably missed this information in the wiki, but can anyone give me any clarification regarding how this function should work using the CNC as a 3D printer?

Since all the available slots for the drivers are now occupied, where and how should the extruder motor be wired?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Not for printing unless you wire in another Driver.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Not for printing unless you wire in another Driver.

Yes, my question actually was more about how this should be wired?

Is there a way to extend the ramps somehow to install more drivers?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Is there a way to extend the ramps somehow to install more drivers?

Yeah, someone on the forums posted about using a drv8825 breakout board wired to some of the aux pins. You might have to give up the LCD.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Heffe linked the file you should use. If it give you issues use the Beta version of arduino, I have a marlin 2 version but I updated it yesterday and have not verified it.

I think your GitHub has it wrong:

https://github.com/Allted/Marlin/blob/MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop/Marlin/src/pins/pins_RAMPS.h

That should have the E2 pins defined, right?

Ryan
    Keymaster

ahhhh man…its wrong.

Karl Hagström
    Participant

Thanks allot guys!

I finally have it compiling and uploading without  a problem!

As you said, I had to go over to the Arduino 1.9.0 Beta-version and change the file pins_RAMPS.h to:

#define E0_STEP_PIN 70
    #define E0_DIR_PIN 70
    #define E0_ENABLE_PIN 70
    #ifndef E0_CS_PIN
    #define E0_CS_PIN 70
    #endif

#define E1_STEP_PIN 26
    #define E1_DIR_PIN 28
    #define E1_ENABLE_PIN 24
    #ifndef E1_CS_PIN
    #define E1_CS_PIN 42
    #endif

//mpcnc
    #define E2_STEP_PIN 36
    #define E2_DIR_PIN 34
    #define E2_ENABLE_PIN 30
    #define E2_CS_PIN 44
    //mpcnc

Note that I had to remove the comments from the lines above – Othervise it trew an error pointing at the first “//” letter… wierd

//Kalle

Karl Hagström
    Participant

Hm, it didn’t work… None of the axis allowed backwards movement, and only one of the x motots moves…

Ryan
    Keymaster

The marlin 1.1 version works. I don;t have time to work on the 2.0 today. They are doing a huge makeover on it again including adding the ability to set extruders to zero so it is kind of a waste to fix a problem that they have scheduled to fix.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Karl Hagström
    Participant

Thanks, will try that!

Dylan
    Participant

Just came across this board today and immediately thought of this project when I saw it. Have you thought about trying to use this to help with getting the MPCNC as a 3D printer working with this autosquaring system?

RAMPSXB

It’s $40 + shipping, so it’s on the pricier side, but it adds 4 additional stepper motors, as well as a ton of other things and allows you to keep your lcd screen. Interested in hearing what you guys think about it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you need another driver you can add in a stepper driver to the pins directly without the need for a shield. It looks good enough but 4 extra is excessive and kinda expensive.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Karl, I have updated and fixed all the dual firmware. I hope. It was missing the pins as you and Heffe found and it looks like some other code was gone from the X axis but fixed last night.

So all my github stuff looks good. I have updated all my printers and will test the dual firmware on a Rambo later, and a ramps as soon as I can find a spare.

Marlin 2 looks to be really solid now I don’t have to do any LCD tweaks to get it working anymore and Archim2 works now as well. I saw a mention of the final 1.1 release was due any day, so hopefully this will all get easier to maintain and then the zero extruder code will get pushed!

Karl Hagström
    Participant

Nice work!

What’s the main benefits of marlin 2 VS 1 if I’m on the arduino/Ramps?

Ryan
    Keymaster

For right now I will just say, not much. The dual 1.1 firmware you are using isn’t that old. In general with Marlin, if it works don’t update it. They have been fixing all sorts of little issues and cleaning up code but for the most part it doesn’t effect us.

Geoffrey
    Participant

Would that RAMPSXB board work to add full dual dual functionality on the MiniRambo?  Also leaving room for an extruder or two?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Should, never used one though.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.