Auto Squaring, My axis is hella square…

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Hardware Development – MPCNC Auto Squaring, My axis is hella square…

This topic contains 130 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 131 total)
  • Author

Dan Leitner
    Participant

On closer inspection, it seems the original changes from ikidd are somehow causing the issues with extruders=1 and cnc enable, so I am going to see if I can get a clean copy of the dev. Branch working without those issues….

Also, he reassigned endstops/endstop flag pairing which isn’t great, so maybe I can get it working with “Extended endstops”

Ryan
    Keymaster

Bummer, I’ll  keep going on my side then with Marlin. Moving the extruder stepper I hope solves the next problem I would have thanks. Hope we both get this going!

Krzysztof Rygwelski
    Participant

Bummer, I’ll keep going on my side then with Marlin. Moving the extruder stepper I hope solves the next problem I would have thanks. Hope we both get this going!

Ryan put it on github more pepole will help. For Windows is Nice app sourcetree but stuck app from github also do the job. Then you will see how fast it will go.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Github confuses the crap out of me, updating or rebasing last time just added both the old and the new code and I had to try and dig back though and try and fix all the weirdness. Someone else can try and put it up there but I have a feeling it will break severely with every update and I am not going to maintain that. If I get it working I don’t see any huge reason to update very often.

Dan Leitner
    Participant

Github confuses the crap out of me as well, but I’m working on it, so  I hope to have this up there soon.  Still want to make a bit of progress and do some testing.

For now, updates will be here with date_stamp in format YYMMDD_Filename_REV

http://www.danleitner.com/170901_Repetier_001.zip

Today I rewrote the changes into a clean copy of the Repetier Dev Branch got rid of a bunch of issues with the pull request on Github and used the existing “extended_endstops” logic.

It compiles and tests fine for me  with CNC support enabled. (The issue that remains is that if you set number of extruders >0, the direction pin for X2 gets locked so X2 only moves in one direction.  But for a Ramps using 5 motors, there isn’t an extruder)

I’d be very interested if anyone out there wants to test this.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I am looking through your file right now. I have never opened up Repetier firmware. So crazy there are about 1/3 the tabs/files in there. Wow, I need to do some more research on the differences and dig around a little bit in the files. Can you think of anything off the top of your head that Marlin does or does have compared to Repetier or have you just been sticking with Repetier?

I see they both treat G0 like G1, that’s a bummer. Might have to look into that next.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Success!!!

Independently X, Y, And Z all work with dual end stops!

Now,

1-Moving the extruder driver to allow for both axis to have dual drivers (Maybe, Try Dan’s Method, or see what else is available out there I am pretty sure I have seen other dual-dual driver ramps so I think this edit is out there.

2-See if dual-dual endstops work, there are some number assignments that might need to be adjusted if two are working at once. (I don’t know what I am talking about).

Ryan
    Keymaster

What did a google search and theses very forums popped up!!!! Fingers crossed. Sorry I am excited…don’t mind me.

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/marlinramps-patch-to-use-extruder-drivers-as-additionnal-xy-drivers/

Ryan
    Keymaster

Holy shit!

So close. I am in over my head now I need help.

The previous post didn’t work….luckily it was way easier. Just move the E0 pin in pins_ramps.h all to 70, E1 to the old E0, add a E2 set and give them the old E1 pins….Boom!!

So right now there is dual driver dual endstops on X, and dual drivers on Y.

So now, you folks that know How to program here is all that is left, I think.

#2 from above, Enabling the extra endstops has them sharing a “flag” (I guess you call it?)

Ryan
    Keymaster

Holy shit it works!!! I got it, X and Y dual drivers and dual endstops!!!!!!

Who wants to try it? I will make a video ASAP it looks nuts.

Ciaran Whelan
    Participant

ROFL.. you are too funny Ryan. I will wait for your video. I will design up some end stop mounts for my micro switches.

Also have to figure out how to update my firmware for my voltage and stepper first.

Good on you for this development.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry I just got too excited. I am about to do a G28 like no one has ever seen before. 5 steppers all homing independently. Sweet!

Big giant wire bundle though….

Ryan
    Keymaster

3 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It’s ugly but in case anyone wants to try it before I clean it up a bit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/en54nvxqrpy2oor/Marlin_with_Dual_dual_XYZ.zip?dl=0

Simon Miller
    Participant

So, sorry for the super basic question. From a wiring standpoint I’m thinking I need to buy two more of the small driver chips and insert them into the headers on my ramps for E0 and E1. Then remove the splitter cable and wire each stepper to a driver. Would you then retune the drivers to match the Z axis in terms of setting the pot for voltage since they’re only running one stepper each? And which is which, E0 is X or Y? I want to give this a shot, I’ve been squaring by hand but would like to get into tool changes and workpiece flips so this functionality seems right up my alley.

Krzysztof Rygwelski
    Participant

Good work Ryan for sure I will use it:D but after I come back from delegation so 14 days. Then I can also help you with GitHub repo for mpcnc.

thesfreader
    Participant

Great work Ryan ! Really impressive ! Now let’s hope it gets merged back in Marlin (once “cleaned-up”)

Dan Leitner
    Participant

So, sorry for the super basic question. From a wiring standpoint I’m thinking I need to buy two more of the small driver chips and insert them into the headers on my ramps for E0 and E1. Then remove the splitter cable and wire each stepper to a driver. Would you then retune the drivers to match the Z axis in terms of setting the pot for voltage since they’re only running one stepper each? And which is which, E0 is X or Y? I want to give this a shot, I’ve been squaring by hand but would like to get into tool changes and workpiece flips so this functionality seems right up my alley.

You got it.  E0 is X E1 is Y in both the Repetier and Marlin versions.

Dan Leitner
    Participant

It’s ugly but in case anyone wants to try it before I clean it up a bit. https://www.dropbox.com/s/en54nvxqrpy2oor/Marlin_with_Dual_dual_XYZ.zip?dl=0

Downloaded and tested as working, great job.  Interestingly though, if you hit one endstop and then release it, it starts moving as if the endstop wasn’t hit. This doesn’t happen in a normal homing operation, but still. Also, it seems homing bump isn’t implimented yet, but at low speeds isn’t absolutely necessary.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah, so far, no bounce, so if your machine is really out of whack homing twice might be a good option and I want to turn the homing speeds down a little further. The bounce might be tough as both end stops should be hit first then both should bounce at the same time.

The invert axis I don’t think works correctly at least it doesn’t work on the X axis I need to test the Y. No big deal just flip the stepper plug until I can figure out that code section. I have made a note to where I think the issue is.

I haven’t tested the offset function yet, but it could really come in handy for some serious fine tuning. It did work on the Y but I need to retest on both axis.

I think I have all the LCD code in but I will test that as well.

The delta and corexy stuff was not updated for this.

Bill
    Participant

I’ll give it a shot on my machine. What should I be printing to mount the endstops? This gives an excuse to redo my wiring with pretty more in mind. 🙂

Thomas M
    Participant

Hey Ryan,

Its really looking good,

I’m going to up need to really up my game now with my machinekit project. 😉

Can you provide the link for end stops your using? (will they install without removing the pipes?)

I  still need to put them on my MPCNC/machinekit setup still and and change the the gantrykin kinematic module.  At some point, I like to have a fine mechanical adjustment on one of the pairs.  I was thinking about something like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1500357

One of the things we(workshop88)  implemented on our Sieg mill, is to home the Z-axis first at the Max Z position about the table  before homing the X and Y.   We did that so that we wouldn’t crash into figuring when you do auto-homing. (Dang, I wish we shot a video of it, it’s pretty cool)

Tom

Ryan
    Keymaster

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1023985

They snap on without removing the rails, I typically use zip-ties to keep them on screws are overkill.

With this firmware you just need to get the endstops close and you can fine adjust an offset to get it really precise.

This also picks up the Z axis before homing, I have it set to 10mm right now I think but usually that is plenty. A bunch of it is adjustable, which axis homes first, all at the same time, whatever.

I need to get a better video of it but, I kinda got stuck on another project at the moment.

Vincent Pollaro
    Participant

This is insane, Ryan! Thanks refusing to not make this happen. This will be very, very nice. Buying more end stops and drivers now…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tim W
    Participant

Is there going to be a parts bundle add on for this upgrade? like the drivers and switches and holders and wire harness ?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Not an upgrade…an advanced modification.

I try to be clear about this because then new comers will want the “Upgrade” and to start with this sort of thing and it really really is not recommended unless you truly understand what this is doing and how to use work offsets. A modification makes a specific thing better usually at the cost of something else.

Sorry Not trying to be a punk just trying to save myself a ton of work down the road. I know it is coming because I am almost sold completely out of ramps boards in the last two days….

To answer your question, If you have a ramps you need 2 drivers, 4 end stops and some wire, the mini rambo just 2 end stops and some wire. The cost of custom endstop wires would actually be pretty high I don’t think it would be worth it if it wasn’t for the little connectors I would say no way but I will get a quote. I already have some single steppers extenders That I guess could be used and  converted. Let me look into a price.

Tim W
    Participant

I understand it isn’t  a requirement or even needed by most of us but as a kit to add when we get there may be way cool

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Yeah. The firmware changes are advanced, for sure. No one else will have to modify it, but I don’t think it will be easy to get merged into mainstream, and it will be work with each Marlin upgrade to bring this change with it. I think Ryan is right to call this an advanced mod. It would be great if only advanced or aspiring advanced operators tried it. Even if the firmware and wiring was done for you, there’s a lot about the machine and CAM to know too. Luckily, there are more and more advanced users here all the time.

I haven’t actually reviewed it yet, I just barely have had time to set up the before/after git snapshots. I’m comparing it to 1.1.4, is that right?

I’ve been working on painting a room in our house, and that seems to take me days. I really want to check this out soon though.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I can’t figure out if it is 1.1.4 or 1.1.5.

That is the bummer about it. I am sure a Marlin dev could have worked this in no problem, but most printers have no use for it so why bother. Took me days, I am sure someone more familiar with marlin could have done it in a half a day for sure. I do hope it does get worked in at some point.

I have to see what sort of things Prusa did to calculate perpedicularity of his axis on the MK2. He has some crazy stuff in there, like the expansion board.

Ciaran Whelan
    Participant

Hi Ryan

Allot of the awesome updates to Marlo. Was from 1.1.5. I would assume that these updates are in line with what you are doing.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 131 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.