May 17, 2017 at 2:31 pm #33909
I lashed the vacuum to the Z-Axis to suck up all the extra lasurebeams. You can see them sucking up into the tube where they’re rendered inert by filters and such. Lasures pfft.
I ran the 6W in PWM mode which gave a really cool 3D effect to the burn. You can see how the grain and quality of wood affects the image! This poor hippy looks okay but the King looks amazing.
Attachments:May 18, 2017 at 6:39 pm #33997May 18, 2017 at 7:30 pm #34003
Wow Dave. Those burns look awesome! Once I get the mpcnc up and running I plan to add a laser to the tool crib.
1 user thanked author for this post.May 18, 2017 at 9:27 pm #34006
It’s been a very rewarding addition! And quite the learning curve but really, not too bad so far.
These were done with the 6W NUBM44 diode from DTR Laser shop and an Optlaser driver. Software was;
Photoshop for initial cleanup and level adjustment then into PEP5 for the GCode conversion.
Couch image had issues as I choked the movement by putting the wood too close to my Y axis and getting the shop vac (blowing onto the burn as a ghetto air assist) stuck between the pipes.
Couch = .23mm dot size and 1400mm speed. Took approx 1.5 hours.
Headshot = .34mm dot size and 1500mm speed. Approx 40min burn time.May 18, 2017 at 9:33 pm #34007
Dui, ni shuo de duiParticipant
The last 2 ones are pretty amazing!
That’s really great results, I really have to give a try to laser whenever I can!May 19, 2017 at 10:19 am #34031
Forgot to mention, the Cornell headshot was run max 180 and min 15 for PWM control rather than full 255.May 25, 2017 at 7:58 pm #34406
Time to switch back and cut more boxes. I decided to try one of these Cyclone things so found a decent looking setup on Thingiverse and here we are. ABS main body and PETG inserts. Acetone glued and smoothed inside and out. In the process, I managed to melt too deep on the top layers which I foolishly printed only 2 layers thick without thinking… it melted into my infill and made for some potentially leaky holes!
The inserts were also a bit too small for my hose so I fired up Fusion 360 and designed some adapters that will act as quick connects and a plate to cover the top of the whole thing so I don’t start blowing dust and crap everywhere.
Can’t wait to test it out!
Attachments:May 25, 2017 at 8:08 pm #34411
I need one on my orbital sander, that little booger fills up with dust so fast I get annoyed with dumping it so I don’t.May 26, 2017 at 4:52 am #34414
Let us know how that thing works. I was looking at printing that same one.May 26, 2017 at 7:08 am #34422
I’m hoping to get a chance this weekend to put it to the test. I’m also waiting on some new bags and a filter for the vac but that won’t stop me from testing.May 26, 2017 at 3:31 pm #34460
Did you run across this one too?
Vaccuum Cyclone Adapter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1429160
Seems a little less effort, but probably less effective as well.May 26, 2017 at 5:45 pm #34475
I bit the bullet and started printing it this evening.
Took me a bit to get it broken into two pieces due to my build height only being 180mm.
The first chunk says it will take 21 hours… so we’ll see how this thing works on Sunday.May 27, 2017 at 5:31 am #34484
If you have a Menards near you, they carry Dust Deputies. I’m actually surprised Harbor Freight doesn’t carry something like them. They have the bigger dust collectors already.May 28, 2017 at 2:43 pm #34581
Well. My try at printing the dust collector went horribly wrong.
I tried to use ABS, but I haven’t printed ABS since switching to the new slicer. It looks like I had the wrong ABS settings but didn’t catch it until the print was done. The back corner lifted where I couldn’t see it which happened to be where the inlet tube is supposed to screw in.
I may try to salvage it by cutting the inlet and just gluing the tube on.June 14, 2017 at 11:14 pm #36000
Today’s fun, custom dice for a Star Trek game!
Attachments:June 15, 2017 at 3:36 am #36006
Neat!September 13, 2017 at 6:34 am #43747
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.