MRRF 2018, Ideas?

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic MRRF 2018, Ideas?

This topic contains 153 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 154 total)
  • Author

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

That’s great, congrat’s!

Looking forward to see his take on this prototyping powerhouse.

@Ryan, I think you should (if you can) display much more things on your booth. Especially stuff you can make with it (wood, aluminum, laser, plastic printing and milling, etc). It would make people a bit clearer about what the machine is really able to do. Thomas’s face seemed a little dubitative whenever you were talking about the accuracy and stuff.

Let’s hope Thomas will also take a look at this forum and see what has actually been achieved by the community so far, there are plenty of impressive example of stuff people made with this machine which proves that it works really well. I especially think about the videos of Kevin Lopez milling aluminum, pretty impressive stuff.

Also, maybe you should crank up the speed of the machine, it seemed very, very slow to me in the video, would also make it a bit more impressive to watch. Just my 2 cents 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

I think you should (if you can) display much more things on your booth. Especially stuff you can make with it (wood, aluminum, laser, plastic printing and milling, etc). It would make people a bit clearer about what the machine is really able to do. Thomas’s face seemed a little dubitative whenever you were talking about the accuracy and stuff.

Yeah, I was so swamped with orders I barely even got a machine finished to bring. When I did, it took up all the room I had in my luggage, Socks and underwear cushioned a few parts…Luckily Barry brought a bunch of stuff on Saturday and he had a chance to see them. I was not well pre-paired for a long distance show for sure. Learned a lot and next time will be more interesting of a presentation I think. Tom did all of his interviews on Sunday Most people had already gone home, we were all tired. That and we all only got half a table, the small MPCNC I brought took up most of it.

Let’s hope Thomas will also take a look at this forum and see what has actually been achieved by the community so far, there are plenty of impressive example of stuff people made with this machine which proves that it works really well. I especially think about the videos of Kevin Lopez milling aluminum, pretty impressive stuff.

We did get to talk about the forums, You and Kevin specifically. I am most proud of these forums all of you in here. I asked he at least check it out and if he has a question ask it here to see what sort of support it is. I could not do this without all the help everyone gives.

Also, maybe you should crank up the speed of the machine, it seemed very, very slow to me in the video, would also make it a bit more impressive to watch. Just my 2 cents 🙂

We slowed it down to keep it moving through the video, and they seemed to play it in slow motion as well. It would finish that entire drawing in 24minutes. Saturday night we tried cranking it up to 300%. The firmware did limit it but it drew faster and made no noticeable quality difference, that we could tell.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

That and we all only got half a table, the small MPCNC I brought took up most of it.

Haha, next time bring also a MRRFMPT!*

Saturday night we tried cranking it up to 300%. The firmware did limit it but it drew faster and made no noticeable quality difference, that we could tell.

Yeah, kinda the same thing I noticed with 3D printing, faster speeds doesn’t seem to make a huge difference in accuracy, which is a nice indication on how good the machine is.

*MRRF Mostly Printed Table

ZRHERBERT
    Participant

DUUUUUDDDDEEEE!!!!!

Any chance this will replace the “crown” print as the first thing people test the MPCNC with?

thesfreader
    Participant

Would be a great aidea, if the model wasn’t so complex .

As it is, it seems that it would be quite long to draw, whereas the crown draws quite fast, and is enough to make a quick test that shows a few defects.

Maybe a simplified version ?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Maybe a simplified version ?

Or a simplified version of the MP3DP, just to aid in the obsession.

David Walling
    Participant

Time to invest in some pelican cases to carry it to/from events.

Ryan
    Keymaster
    DUUUUUDDDDEEEE!!!!!

Any chance this will replace the “crown” print as the first thing people test the MPCNC with?

Maybe as an Advanced. No way I want to answer a bunch of questions about why a duct taped sharpie doesn’t look as good as my 0.3mm pen.

As it is, it seems that it would be quite long to draw

25min! But you are right, the crown serves a purpose, this is just showing off.

version of the MP3DP

I want a version of each of my machines and the progression of some parts as well. I love the way this looks on that 65lb card stock. If I ever have a booth it would most likely be framed plots from the machine instead of all those printed banners everyone has.

David Rabbit
    Participant

@ryan

Great that you made it onto Tom Sanlanderer’s youtube video.  I hope Tom does a review soon!

Mike
    Participant

That had to be one heck of a moment when he asked if he should build one. On the one hand your saying “Hell yeah!” and the other your brain is saying “Wait, do I want that much exposure?”; “What if he doesn’t like it?”; “AaahhGGGH!”; Etc. But I think you handled it very well and did the right thing by throwing down the gauntlet. Congrats on the exposure.

In ref to that awesome MPCNC print, I may have to see if I can hunt up my old Leroy pens and have a go at a print on mylar with some ridiculously small tip. Definitely going to rip a tiny one off with the laser in the near future.

thesfreader
    Participant

Also real nice is the number of comments from people who’re interested in Tom’s testing it 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

That had to be one heck of a moment

Yeah, even how he started it. I wasn’t too sure how familiar he was with it. He has mentioned it in a live stream before but I wasn’t sure if he had done any kind of research. Then to start with…”So you guys have been bugging me…” Than threw me into an even more nervous state, then yup that ending was a shocker for sure.

In ref to that awesome MPCNC print,

That 0.3 pen was nice, but might have bleed a littel too much. You will also need to adjust your arcs to a .1 or .2mm resolution. I have not changed the firmware yet.

Also real nice is the number of comments from people who’re interested in Tom’s testing it 🙂

Yeah I was ready for the hate…so far so good. Only one funky comment in relation to it but it isn’t that bad. I can’t help but check every so often.

David Rabbit
    Participant

I say strike while the iron’s hot.  Fly to Germany and help him put it together before he forgets about you.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I say strike while the iron’s hot. Fly to Germany and help him put it together before he forgets about you.

I’m in!

Jan M
    Participant

If you do, make sure to announce it, so some of your german admirers can come as well 😛

Johnny
    Participant

Ryan, that’s amazing man! Congrats and you deserve the recognition. It’s an amazing machine and just like you said, if you put the time in to learn the CAM and the limits of the machine it will make some beautiful pieces.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thank you!

Bill
    Participant

So I want to draw that on a business card, what size pen will I need? 😉

Ryan
    Keymaster

You will need;

1 diode based laser

4.23 inches of fiber optic cable

3 magnifying glasses

Liberal amounts of duct tape

Hands of a surgeon

Easy peasy.

No joke I had micro surgery on a finger and he operated through a microscope to reattach a nerve with 3 stitches so this business card thing can be done. He made more than my yearly salary per hour, and I had to wait two weeks for him to get off vacation….so I was lucky enough to have two surgery’s on the same finger. My finger works great, still kinda numb, no hard feelings I think I popped the nerve stitches one night. Woke up screaming a few days after the surgery, hasn’t been the same since.

dkj4linux
    Participant

Laser engrave it?

4 users thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

That’s cool!  I have a few servers with those fans in them…

Neil
    Participant

Fantastic videos. It actually looked like Tom had a hidden interest in the MPCNC. Just the way he looks at it after stating he should build one. Any exposure is good exposure. Good thing is the majority of his followers are fairly versed with 3d printing… I feel the same as the hardware guy did in the second video. I think that the 3d printing market has kind of come to a stand-still. In this ‘3d printing downtime’ now would be the perfect time for anyone in the 3d printing world (like Tom) to build the MPCNC. The MPCNC really opens the door to so many project opportunities. Again thank you Ryan for everything you have given us! Thanks for being here kicking ass on the forums as well!

Neil

Mike
    Participant

Laser engrave it?

Aww man, you beat me to it. Looks great!

Ryan
    Keymaster

DKJ, looks like you ran into the same issue I had with the firmware. Arc resolution. The small features are coming out in 1mm angles instead of a smooth curve. If you bump that up in configadv.h to .1mmor I think even .2mm you will get nice tiny smooth curves. I havn’t seen any negatives yet So I think I will change it in the firmware on the next update. It might have an effect of really large arcs…but the gcode can just be made with arcs turned off in CAM, so best of both worlds I think. Surprised some of the PCB milling guys didn’t catch this. That does look amazing and makes me want to slap my laser on and try it out myself! So glad you made a video of it.

Neil, thanks for the encouragement. I am kind of assuming most of “OG” 3D printing youtubers must just be getting bored of reviewing printers by now. As you said nothing too exciting about just reviewing different companies take on the same thing, and everyone fighting to get out the next Prusa review first is kinda weird as well. The innovations are getting more complex so the R&D cycle is taking longer, things are bit more hush hush until it gets released so the imports don’t beat companies to the punch. So it seems at least Angus and Tom both are interested in CNC, Joel tried one but didn’t really seem to stoked about it. I think people know CAD is going to be involved with CNC, so the two with some CAD experience embrace it  a little more readily. Just my take on it.

This has also made understand I need to incorporate some CAD basics with tinkercad or something. Showing how to make a square with a few holes in it could really help some people make a few functional parts right out of the gate. As with 3D printing everyone is looking to Thingiverse for someone to make it for them….and the emails I get with requests for parts seems to confirm this.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The innovations are getting more complex so the R&D cycle is taking longer

Freakonomics had some good episodes on innovation, and I remember them pointing out that intel has kept up with moore’s law, pretty much, but the dollars spent on keeping up with it has grown exponentially. It certainly makes sense that finding key ideas will take longer and longer, otherwise, we would have found them already.

I need to incorporate some CAD basics with tinkercad or something

Yeah, that’s a great idea. Just going through making a top/bottom for a raspberry pi, or a picture frame or something would be really great. I spent a ton of time watching fusion 360 videos when I first started, and it really slowed me down a lot.

Neil
    Participant

Neil, thanks for the encouragement. I am kind of assuming most of “OG” 3D printing youtubers must just be getting bored of reviewing printers by now. As you said nothing too exciting about just reviewing different companies take on the same thing, and everyone fighting to get out the next Prusa review first is kinda weird as well. The innovations are getting more complex so the R&D cycle is taking longer, things are bit more hush hush until it gets released so the imports don’t beat companies to the punch. So it seems at least Angus and Tom both are interested in CNC, Joel tried one but didn’t really seem to stoked about it. I think people know CAD is going to be involved with CNC, so the two with some CAD experience embrace it a little more readily. Just my take on it.

This has also made understand I need to incorporate some CAD basics with tinkercad or something. Showing how to make a square with a few holes in it could really help some people make a few functional parts right out of the gate. As with 3D printing everyone is looking to Thingiverse for someone to make it for them….and the emails I get with requests for parts seems to confirm this.

Its funny you say this. I myself have always had good luck with the basics in estlcam (some trial and error). I really want to get into learning to cam in fusion360 (as that is what I design everything in, then export dxf to estlcam). I honestly do not know what has me so afraid to try cam in fusion. I think part of it is my mpcnc is in a detached garage 100′ from my house. So I end up creating the gcode in estlcam (since I know what to expect). This way I do not have to make 8 trips back and forth into the house to edit my code lol (I guess I am just being lazy). The old man and I just finished up his ‘mancave’ so I have a feeling once I am able to play with the software in the same room as my mpcnc I will be much better off. This reminds me I need to re-visit some fusion360 cam videos to refresh.

Neil

Ryan
    Keymaster

I really want to get into learning to cam in fusion360

I am not a big fan, I haven’t needed any extra features and all the extra settings make it an extremely daunting task.

dkj4linux
    Participant

DKJ, looks like you ran into the same issue I had with the firmware. Arc resolution. The small features are coming out in 1mm angles instead of a smooth curve. If you bump that up in configadv.h to .1mmor I think even .2mm you will get nice tiny smooth curves. I havn’t seen any negatives yet So I think I will change it in the firmware on the next update. It might have an effect of really large arcs…but the gcode can just be made with arcs turned off in CAM, so best of both worlds I think. Surprised some of the PCB milling guys didn’t catch this. That does look amazing and makes me want to slap my laser on and try it out myself! So glad you made a video of it.

For completeness sake, I changed the arc resolution setting to 0.1mm as you suggested and reran the logo gcode file. Definitely seems inproved. I also had to update the firmware as I had no clue what was flashed previously… had to remap D9 to pin 44 for laser control, and set in steps/mm for X/Y, etc.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wow huge improvement. I guess I need to make the change then. Looking into some different wiring harnesses as well. So many things….

dkj4linux
    Participant

Finally, and not surprisingly, slowing down improves things greatly. Feed of 600 mm/min and half-power (128… to avoid cardboard fire) gives

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 154 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.