MRRF 2018, Ideas?

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic MRRF 2018, Ideas?

This topic contains 166 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  K Cummins 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 167 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

I swear there was a press release somewhere. I had a screen in a cart even but decided to wait until after mrrf…now I regret it. I want to buy one before someone releases a video and they are sold out.

Barry
    Participant

http://devel.lulzbot.com/video/Color_LCD_Prototype_Demo/ColorTouchLCDPrototype.MOV

Doesn’t seem to like this link for some reason..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

YES! Thank you.

http://devel.lulzbot.com/electronics/fryingpan/

So the ft-800 and ft-810

Ryan
    Keymaster

Barry
    Participant

Barry
    Participant

If I remember right, the cable has to be modified to work though.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Pretty sure it just needs to be made, the pins are vacant in that pic. Only one of them was ready for portrait and landscape. I am going to assume the 810 for a few dollars more.

Sweet, total was $37, now to decipher project Fryingpan…

Bill
    Participant

I bought two of them when they were first posted here, though I thought it was closer to $32 than $37. http://www.hotmcu.com, FT810CB. They come with a small adapter board with holes for a ten pin header that snaps off and connects to the main board with a tiny ribbon cable. There is also holes for a ten pin header on the main board that lets you use a standard ribbon cable to your host. Pin outs are as follows:

5V 1 o o 6 GND
    SCK 2 o o 7 MISO
    MOSI 3 o o 8 CS
    INT 4 o o 9 PD
    Audio 5 o o 10 GND

Ryan
    Keymaster

Bill to the rescue! Have you tried it out yet? Seems like there is a firmware flash for the screen, and then some minor marlin edits (if any). Pretty excited to try it, and figure out how to configure the graphics. Could be super fun, or very frustrating.

Bill
    Participant

I have not tried it yet, I’m planning on building it into the MP3DPv2 machine and still haven’t been able to get into the garage to resurrect my MPCNC to cut the parts. I think I’ve got everything else here and expect to be stable enough on my feet one of these weeks. 18 weeks and counting since the accident and I’m starting to get tired of the recovery. We did file the torte claim last week, so it’s only liable to be another 2-5 years before I can pay off the medical. 😉

My plan is to put a cut out to mount the display in the top of the XY Frame and perhaps engrave the logo/name alongside it. I expect that means making the top a little higher but once the display is bolted in place it should be just as rigid. Once it’s working I’ll retrofit it to the XL which looks like it’s got plenty of room.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Got a little blurb with me in this one. Really hate seeing / hearing myself…DORK.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Awesome. You’re Internet famous!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Famously a Dork, hahaha

Barry
    Participant

I saw us in the background for one of 3d printing nerd’s videos this morning.  He was talking to the stripper dust dude.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Famously a Dork, hahaha

Thats kind of your brand, right? 😀

Ryan
    Keymaster

So very true.

Blackening my last parts for the sexy build, can’t wait to get the toolbox out of my living room….yup fits the brand. Dork first comfort second.

Geoffrey
    Participant

I saw the video before coming here to read… I think you came off quite well, I’ve been trying like hell to get my 15yo to get his hands dirty.  He has shown more interest in the MPCNC project than anything else I’ve played with… 3D printing, smart lights, voice control etc.

So bravo to you Ryan.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks for that Geoffrey, The education aspect is a new approach for me but after hearing about the college class based on my design I understand how it can be scaled from beginner, kid, to more advanced, engineering student. It made me realize something like this is how I wish shop class was for me in middle school and high school. Surprisingly this isn’t even how college was for me, I 100% feel mechanical engineering students should have hands on experience with a CNC machine of some sort and in my experience they are not getting that.

Thomas M
    Participant

I had a blast at the MRRF.  I was great to meet Ryan, Barry and the other MPCNC’ers.
    You can see the back of my head and my build at 6:52

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah buddy! Your machine is in the background of the beagleboard interview…couldn’t pay attention to what he was saying because of it.

Bill
    Participant

What needs to happen with 3D printers is simplicity. They are still targeted at us, not my mom. Until you can unbox and print without configuration they won’t get out of the hobbyist market and into mainstream. When everyone can have one in their laundry room the kids will arrive and their modeling skills will take off. We’re gradually getting there with auto-leveling and touchscreen controls but not there yet.

Why isn’t anyone yet auto-leveling by having the printer turn the screws for you? 🙂

Jeffeb3
    Participant

What needs to happen with 3D printers is simplicity. They are still targeted at us, not my mom. Until you can unbox and print without configuration they won’t get out of the hobbyist market and into mainstream. When everyone can have one in their laundry room the kids will arrive and their modeling skills will take off. We’re gradually getting there with auto-leveling and touchscreen controls but not there yet.

The MK3 does a good job of fixing a lot of those gripes. It will be nice when more of those features make it into the rest of the reprap printers. Considering my mom can’t set up an inkjet printer (sorry, Mom), I don’t know if there’s hope of her using a 3D printer. She still thinks it’s a 3D copier, always asking me to make more of something that she already has. Really though, Ryan is right on with kids driving it. Desktop computers were serious business when I grew up, but kids really drove innovation, making them flexible, fun, and ubiquitous. Convincing a 10 year old to learn 3D printing seems like it will really be easier, and it will pay off, because they will just grow up with them. The features in the MK3 seem like a huge step in the right direction, keeping kids safer while playing with this stuff.

Why isn’t anyone yet auto-leveling by having the printer turn the screws for you? ?

It’s all relative 😉

Barry
    Participant

Why isn’t anyone yet auto-leveling by having the printer turn the screws for you? ?

Well now that you mentioned it..

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2407174

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Famously a Dork, hahaha

I don’t think you were dorky at all, what you said make perfect sense and it was nice to hear it and to see you 🙂

I’m quite happy to hear that almost all of the people interviewed mentionned that the software needs to evolve. I’ve been saying that for years and years and it seems that it might finally be their priority. CAD is too difficult for the common noob and the slicers generally do a “not so great” job.

I’m really looking forward to what will come out from all of this.

Chris
    Participant

Just saw you on Tom’s “Best of MRRF 2018” video.  Great job getting him to commit to giving the MPCNC a go!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

3 users thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Nice. Great job. The video was in his hands. He could have taken it back, but he decided not to. Can’t wait to see his take on it.

Ryan, you should go there for the live stream so he doesn’t get mad and shut it off :).

Ryan
    Keymaster

OMG!!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

OMG, I didn’t look like a total dweeb (just a little one). Prototyping powerhouse, What!!?! where did that come from. I can relax now, I was so nervous about that video.

If he live streams it I will be there for sure.

Ryan
    Keymaster

#PrototypingPowerhouse

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 167 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.