MRRF 2018, Ideas?

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic MRRF 2018, Ideas?

This topic contains 153 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 154 total)
  • Author

Johnny
    Participant

A touch screen interface would be amazing. I don’t care to use thd LCD currently on the machine. Its too clunky to move the machine around for me. I much more prefer the PC. A touch screen would make it much faster and easier to setup I think. Connected USB with a longer cable and/or Wifi to make it hand held with a cradle. Would be pretty cool!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Wireless would be cool too (sounds like feature creep 🙂 ). You use some 2.4GHz radios to make the UART connection wireless. WiFi seems like we already know how to do that with a raspberry pi. The esp32 does do wifi (and some bluetooth), but it’s a good processor on it’s own. Wireless always will have the problem of power, and then you’re talking batteries, and a charger, and it’s getting more complicated (and sometimes dangerous).

The USB might actually be a lot harder than just UART. Connecting to the RAMPS/Rambo’s tx/rx pins would be simple, although I’m not 100% sure what would happen if you also had it connected to a computer, like the pi at the same time. Probably bad stuff, at the very least, one of them wouldn’t work. It would be worth trying USB, I know there are some good libraries for it, but you’d end up having to support a lot more USB than you really want to just to get the serial port. Working with an octopi or cnc.js would be pretty important to think about, even if the answer is a USB cord swap.

To me, it’s only useful if it’s very simple to assemble, and it’s less than $100, and really, it needs to be shooting for less than $50.

There was a post on here about someone wanting to get some jog gcodes into Marlin, which would be very helpful for something like this.

Other than that, I think this would be very controller agnostic. It would be nice if version 2.1.3 of Marlin wouldn’t have to consider this screen controller’s software at all, it would just work as well as 2.1.2. The rep rap screen is very tightly coupled with the Marlin software, so you couldn’t change the layout without changing Marlin, and you can’t get new Marlin features without also getting the latest screen stuff from Marlin. Having them be separate would be nice (and in some cases, a headache).

I agree with Ryan though, I don’t have enough hours in the day. I just wish it was already invented, and it was open source, and it was cheap, and I already had two.

shannonb1
    Participant

There is a board out there for CNC that connects to a Raspberry pi. I wonder if that would be the best solution for that?

Ronald Hulst
    Participant

Hey Ryan, Ron here.  I took my mpcnc last year and we talks a lot.  It was a great time!

I had the same dilemma last year when considering that to bring.  A loud router is too much for that crowded room!

The pen idea worked really well.  People could see concrete results and could see the machine in operation.

I am looking forward to seeing your 19″ machine!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hey Ryan, Ron here. I took my mpcnc last year and we talks a lot. It was a great time!

Yeah buddy! I finally put the picture in a place I wouldn’t lose it!

I am looking forward to seeing your 19″ machine!

I just started putting it together, even sanded the rails….fancy as it gets! And the new feet….I have never had such an easy time squaring it up, and it is solid.

Can’t wait to see you again, and everyone. Lets gets some pictures and put faces to names please.

Still not sure what to draw, a few crowns, some logo’s…something that looks really technical. I have no idea, get the machine there and something will work out. I have some stickers coming. Need to get some sort of banner or table runner, flyer with some specs and a price? I have no idea, where is my marketing department when I need them??

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Still not sure what to draw, a few crowns, some logo’s…something that looks really technical

What about the back of this shirt?

https://www.amazon.com/Robots-Do-My-Dirty-Work/dp/B07B1X989Z

Ryan
    Keymaster

Maybe, the original art isn’t any sort of vector though. It is just a .png. I wonder if I can export an iso view dxf from solidworks? That would be insanely awesome. Dam Heffe, always coming in with the ideas..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh dude…it works!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Awesome! Now you have to do one for the other machines.

And then you can do one with the parts in slightly different places, trace those out, and make a flip book!

They might not all be winning ideas… I’m a monkey on a typewriter, really.

Ryan
    Keymaster

DUUUUUDDDDEEEE!!!!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Awesome! Now you have to do one for the other machines.

One for each of the machines drop my logo on there, diggidy done! On nice paper it would actually be cool to have one. I will be framing and hanging a set of them on my wall. I am going to have to go back and recreate every version of the mpcnc to show the progression of parts. I am super hyped about this.  Great idea.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That looks great. Before you send it to the MPPLOT, what do you think about adding text to make it look like a patent?

Star Wars TIE Bomber Patent – Patent Print, Wall Decor, Star Wars Art, Star Wars Gift, TIE Bomber Blueprint, The Empire Strikes Back

Is there some kind of poetic nature to handing out patents to an open source project at MRRF? Or does it actually work the other way?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t want to ruffle anyone’s feathers that took it seriously. I will mess with it more tonight and see if I can get it a little more optimized.

Cool Idea, Thanks so much. This goes perfectly with the new multi-color upgrade I will be debuting at the show…

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have spent thousands of seconds sourcing the highest of quality parts….

Attachments:

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I have sent thousands of seconds sourcing the highest of quality parts….

Overkill.

Just close one eye at a time. Plus, it changes the color of the paper too.

Barry
    Participant
    I have sent thousands of seconds sourcing the highest of quality parts….

Overkill. Just close one eye at a time. Plus, it changes the color of the paper too.

Attachments:

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Ahaha.

Ryan
    Keymaster

HAHAHA

Ryan
    Keymaster

Jeez no way I am giving this thing away now. I have built a travel CNC, took some extra work but man, a little extra time really makes it nice. I squared up the new feet (super easy), screwed them down, they will stay on the base. Cut and filed the legs so they are the same size, just  push the corners on and it is pretty dang level, sanded the rails, rewired and sleeved each axis to come apart easily…and labeled the connectors. Last step is square the gantry and label the rails so they go back the exact same way.

Odd, I learned a lot with this build so far. Probably time to update the instructions.

I will just need to find a few shows to take it to.

Barry
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

Dam even there packaging is sexy….Mine will be in several pieces in a suitcase wrapped in an old blanket. Can’t wait to see it in action.

Barry
    Participant

Bring a heavy coat.  All this happened last night.  They’re calling for 40’s tomorrow with snow Saturday.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Noooooooo, snow is too cold fro my Cali bones…..

Ryan
    Keymaster

The drawings I have for MRRF are coming out so freaking good I had to up the arc resolution by 10x’s…. I honestly had no idea that a 0.1mm arc resolution would ever be needed or would be noticeable! Night and day difference with a 0.3mm pen strapped on there. Kinda blown away, not to toot my own horn here but dayyyymmmmm.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Can’t keep it to myself. The “c” is almost legible and it is the same size as the date on a penny… I am going to see if there is a more fine pen.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Al Quentin
    Participant

With that fine a line, you might consider drawing a PCB. I was surprised at the results I got when testing with a regular ball point pen. A fine point on good medium could be impressive.

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wow, nice. Your right the paper is really not the best as it almost makes the ink bleed.  Your PCB is pretty good and with a regular ball point even.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ron are you coming to Merf?

Ronald Hulst
    Participant

I will be there at noon tomorrow!

Johnny
    Participant

Ryan! I am very excited about this small detailed work. I have some small aluminum engraving I have been wanting to try. This gives me higher hopes that the tiny letters may come out clean.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 154 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.