MRRF 2018, Ideas?

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic MRRF 2018, Ideas?

This topic contains 153 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 154 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

I need some ideas and advice. How do I best present the MPCNC to people that know nothing about it?

I am bringing an MPCNC, and I can only imagine using a pen with it. Router would be too loud and dirty, laser is unsafe, if I print some people might get the wrong idea (like why would you make such a bulky printer).

1-What should I draw/plot? Thinking that cool StarWars Aztec calendar (If I can get the gcode for it) or maybe something small on 3×5 cards (or something) to let people take with them?

2- I can only fit so much in a big suitcase so I can either prep a machine that fits in my bag (19″ x whatever), or prep a bigger build and double sided tape it to a table or go to Manards and get a base cut when I get there. I think a 19″x19″ get the point across?

3-Give it away on Sunday or silent auction (not that I want to make money on it but it is kinda exciting to try and win with a low bid). Might be a cool way to get it cheap or free. Which one would be more fun?

4-Should I bring a MP3DP…More of a project to me but it is a 3D printer show?

5-Who plans on coming by to say hi?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

1) drawing is a great demo. Would it too much work to have other z axis assemblies with other tools on display somehow? Like they are all attached to one big piece of EMT? It might be cool to make a little display board out of EMT, like a science fair board, but holding pics of the low rider, MP3DP, bigger MPCNCs, etc. Then add the z assemblies to give it some dimension?

2) you can get EMT there, right? You can also ship things to your hotel, although shipping plywood would be no fun. I think an interesting size would make people think it’s flexible. “Why is it so wide?”, “It can be any size. I wanted to show people how flexible it is”

3) The silent auction won’t be fun after someone buys it for basically full price. It will be fun before that. But giveaways are always a little lack luster too. You could have people drop their info. Then each hour give away whatever you’re drawing in the demo (bring a few ahead of time in case something goes wrong) and then the grand prize will be the machine.

4) I don’t think you’ll draw in MPCNC customers at MRRF with a printer. If you want to showcase the printer, I think it’s a good one to show off and it wins by a lot of metrics. But I would worry it will dilute your valuable time and booth’s attention. Kind of depends on your business goals.

5) I wish.

Alex
    Participant

Take several heads, but show pen.

Hope to meet you there Ryan (I have registered, but not 100% sure yet if I will be going).

thesfreader
    Participant

If you had time to prepare it, I would have suggested a needle foamboard cutter in addition to the drawing head… you could have cut a few logos to give away, which is 3D, without too much risk.

Otherwise, yeah, I “third” the suggestionput either a board or a pole, with a few heads installed on their “interchangeable mount” (don’t forget a 3D printing one 🙂 )

geodave
    Participant

How about cutting some designs with a drag knife or using something like the tangential cutter design that James Donnelly created, https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/tangential-cutter-in-development/ Guess you would have to make sure no kids tried to touch the sharp blade though.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks. I planned on bringing the other tools I have I will look into mounting them on something.

Stickers might be fun. Foam cutting some tiny planes could be cool. I just don’t think there is much time to mess with the machine. It was packed shoulder to shoulder last time, and hanging out near Ron’s MPCNC machine was busy busy. Maybe a large drawing for when it is busy and something fun to play with if/when it slows down….planes or stickers would be cool.

Ryan
    Keymaster

What would be really awesome would be a ZenXY as the table for the CNC….

Barry
    Participant

I can pull my 500wt spindle and bring it if you want.  I also have my dewalt still on a mount, quick-is change style.  I’m only planning on being there all day Saturday though.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks Barry, I think I am just going to bring the dewalt, laser, pen, drag knife, extruder. Maybe some pictures or a tablet loaded with pics and vids of the other crazy stuff. I don’t want to get to overwhelmed with stuff.

See you there!

Barry
    Participant

I’ll try to remember to bring my Imperial paperweight this time..  🙄

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes! Bring that chunk-o-metal as some proof of capabilities, please. How big was the machine at the time you made that, was it the 525 or before?

I have some new feet and dual endstop mounts….think I should wait to release them until MRRF? I mean, it wasn’t the redesign I was hoping to have finished by then but it is a part that has never been redesigned even once since it’s release.

Barry
    Participant

I think it was the new model, but was when I had it extended out to 5 foot square.

Carson Roff
    Participant

I would bring the the 3D printed too just because it is such an amazing machine and it would be a cool thing to show what you can make with a MPCNC.

Its a shame you can’t mill anything with the cnc while are there just because drawing doesn’t really show off the machines true 3D potential. But you are gonna draw something I recommend some really complex art and maybe throw in a few Pokémon.

Have fun at MRRF.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I recommend some really complex art and maybe throw in a few Pokémon

There were so many pokemon last year, forgot about that!

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Can you grab a quite spindle and have it carve clay?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Two cool things in this link….

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/issues/10008

Is this going to be the new standard for controllers?!

thinkyhead is going to be there….wonder if he has a talk planned.

Bill
    Participant

Good thing I haven’t cut parts for the new printer, I can design this into the top instead.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks cool, and they do good work so fingers crossed it doesn’t cost too much.

Barry
    Participant

Can you grab a quite spindle and have it carve clay?

That would be both cool to watch, and horribly messy!

Bill
    Participant

Looks cool, and they do good work so fingers crossed it doesn’t cost too much.

$33.00 seems reasonable for retail. It hasn’t been cloned yet, as far as I can tell, so I’d expect the prices to drop over time. There are plenty of Pi touchscreens in this form factor, so the volume is there for the display part.

Barry
    Participant

I need to remember to take more pictures this year.  I think I got like, 2 last year.  Maybe.

Nope, looked back through my timeline, no pictures last year…

Ryan
    Keymaster

I was like a kid in a candy store last time. I will have more time and can hopefully absorb more info this time. Pictures would help, best notepad ever!

Ryan
    Keymaster

And less caffeine and sugar for me would help…dang Dr. Pepper gets me every time.

Barry
    Participant

And less caffeine and sugar for me would help…dang Dr. Pepper gets me every time.

Mtn Dew it is!  😆

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Please post pics for me, at least. I want to see Ryan’s booth, and a pic of Ryan amd Barry with thinkyhead, and a pic of the coolest improvement there. And I guess a pokemon.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ha, luckily it isn’t that fancy. Most people are just sharing a table…e3d  and a couple others had a banner.

I was trying to get something fancy together but I honestly will be lucky to get a build together to bring. Hahahah I thought I was going to have a redesign ready… haven’t even started.

Really hoping thinkyhead has some sort of talk. I would really love to hear his perspective and how he manages such a huge project. I think he is scheduled for ERRF to do a talk but that is even further from home for me.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Is this going to be the new standard for controllers?!

I’m sort of surprised no one has made a controller/LCD like this that just connects via USB. You wouldn’t need to edit the firmware, it would basically just be a touchscreen running a stripped down version of pronterface. Skip the wifi, skip the pi, skip the networking, skip the keyboard.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m in, how do we get started?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Either an arduino pro micro (based on the Leonardo, because it has two UARTs) or an esp32 (I like these a lot, and they are starting to be found very cheap).

An SPI SD card reader would be useful for gcode files too.

The gcode-feeder that Karl wrote, and I reviewed would be a decent starting place, but there’s a lot more to do, obviously.

Then we need to get some chinese company to copy it, and make it all in one PCB with cheap molded plastic, and sell them to us for cheap.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Whoa…

There is not enough time in the day.

But that screen looks really easy to use for brute force arduino “programmer” like myself. Karl actually just linked that project in the FB group. Put the two together and it could be awesome.

PID first….if that other controller isn’t as good as I hope…this could be the next project for sure. I would also be happy with just having a few extra (6) buttons on the current displays for movement only, even if you had to be on a specific screen for them to function.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 154 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.