MPCNC with Double Belt Setup

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC MPCNC with Double Belt Setup

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  c0 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Aaron
    Participant

2) I use a helix with a low angle to ramp down into the material, however, especially in steel, that causes a lot of chatter. What do you guys use for metals like aluminum or even steel?

Amazing results, bravo!

If you have trouble with plunging, what you could do is to first use a regular drill bit for making a hole, and then come back with a milling bit to do the rest, starting from this hole.

I think that’s pretty much the only method unless you find some kind of fancy bit.

Actually, I think that’s what he’s doing now, that’s where I got the idea to try it out on my own machine.

Leon
    Participant

I didn’t found much time in the last weeks to work on my MPCNC, so sorry for the lack of updates.

2) I use a helix with a low angle to ramp down into the material, however, especially in steel, that causes a lot of chatter. What do you guys use for metals like aluminum or even steel?

Amazing results, bravo!

If you have trouble with plunging, what you could do is to first use a regular drill bit for making a hole, and then come back with a milling bit to do the rest, starting from this hole.

I think that’s pretty much the only method unless you find some kind of fancy bit.

Actually, I think that’s what he’s doing now, that’s where I got the idea to try it out on my own machine.

Exactly, except that I can’t use regular drill bits as these are too long for my machine. However single flute end mills seem to work just fine for that.

Atleast I did some progress over the last weeks, the z-axis finally got a cable chain:

DSC06098

And the electronics found a home in an old computer case:

DSC06099

The front and back panel are 0,8mm sheet metal, obviously cut on the MPCNC. I did one test cut with thick paper first and then adjusted some distances. The final part fits beautifully:

DSC06100

2 users thanked author for this post.

Thorsten
    Participant

Hi,

I am currently going for the Mafell as Spindle since they optimized it for 71db loudness. Which tool holder did you use? The Mafell is a bit wider than the rest so I feel like most 43mm tool holders might not fit…

thanks in advance

Thorsten

c0
    Participant

I have operated a CNCrouterparts CNCPro machine milling 6061 aluminium sheet metal (2mm-10mm thick).  Our magic formula for success:

• Amana tools 51373 single ‘O’ flute cutter 1/8 inch dia, 5/16 inch cutting height, 1/4 inch shank (ToolsToday USA)
      [!] Highly recommended (am not affiliated with either Amana nor ToolsToday).
    • 18000RPM spindle speed.
    • 1300mm/min (50 inch/min) feedrate.  Increase to 1600mm/min (65 inch/min) if stable.  Probably want to halve these values for a MPCNC.
    • Too slow feedrates will dull a cutter.  Too high feedrates will break a cutter.  I’d rather dull a bit over time than break it straight away, so best to go slow at first.
    • Lead in/out feedrate = 50% of feedrate.
    • Plunging feedrate = 25% of feedrate.
    • 2mm depth of cut.
    • 1 or 2 finishing passes.
    • [!] Isopropyl alcohol mister (use a simple spray bottle to continuously spray a mist over the cutter whilst cutting for cooling as aluminium gets very sticky/gummy when hot and tends to weld itself to the cutter).
    • [!] Fusion 360 > 2D Contour operation > Geometry > Select “Tabs” > Triangles instead of rectangles (triangle slope = less plunge = less wear on cutter).
    • [!] Fusion 360 > 2D Contour operation > Passes tab > Select “Passes” > Left (Climb milling).  Do not select Right (Conventional milling)
    • [!] Fusion 360 > 2D Contour operation > Linking tab > Select “Ramp” > Ramping angle: 20 degrees.
    • Screw down sheet onto spoilboard around perimeter (50-100mm distance between screws) and in center of some of the larger shapes being cut out as otherwise chips will make their way underneath sheetmetal and lift the sheet causing excessive vibration if not careful.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  c0.
Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.