MPCNC Version 2 -opinions-

New Home Forum Updates MPCNC Version 2 -opinions-

This topic contains 441 replies, has 69 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 391 through 420 (of 442 total)
  • Author

PCFlyer
    Participant

AAdd a friction block? Just enough to keep it ffrom falling.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Okay, everything works I was driving it around for a long while mesing around with scripts to run it on all three axis at once at speeds I wouldn’t recommend. It looks pretty cool in action, it is pretty large.

It is alive 100% now.

It is a bit late here to fire it up but tomorrow I will be using it to cut something!!!!! At this point the only issue could be lack of rigidity (what’s new). I will be running some test cuts with an 1/8″ bit first and maybe check out the 1/4″ if it all seems legit.

I am still not sure how I will release it or when exactly. I hope to put up some grainy video soon to prove I haven’t just been messing with you all but don’t want to give away all the details just yet to the scumbags in MarcadoLibre…

So I now it is a bit premature but I am having an adult beverage to celebrate, cheers!

If you aren’t following it the new fusion 360 post processor (V9) seems to be spot on, biggest advantage is different rapid values on the XY and Z axis. Should have much more stable cuts now, the old one was over driving the hell out of the Z axis. Have a look and give it a test https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/fusion-360/.

James Donnelly
    Participant

Congratulations! If you run out of beer you can always write a script to send the bot to the store for you.

Can’t wait to see it alive.

Jonas
    Participant

Hey, I’m sure at least some of you have already seen this, but I was just googling around looking for instructions on CNCing box joints and came across this design for vertical 4×8 CNC/laser cutter, and thought somebody here might want to take a look. Sorry if this belongs on a different thread.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It works!! It seems to work really well. I just did the first test cut at a blazing fast (joking) 13mm/s at 2mm depth with a 2 flute 1/8″ endmill. I made a 12mm deep cut in OSB in the center of the long span. The cut did actually seem better than the MPCNC cut…..It was my first CAM with the fusion post processor, and first cut on the machine I will speed test it soon.

The down side it the z axis dropping with no power. Need to look into that a bit more. maybe a big zaxis move at the end so it triggers a catch to hold it up or home to a hole in the deck to sit into.

But so far I have to say I am very happy with the first test cut, honestly it could not have went much better. When my friends aren’t talking crap in the background in the video I will post one….jerks…

PCFlyer
    Participant

Try a friction blocks on the Z threaded rod?

Drew Rogge
    Participant

I know you don’t like them but how about a Z max limit switch? That way you can do a G28 Z at the end of the program. Then you could but a big magnet at the top of the Z to hold axis up. I’ve been running limit switches on X and Y on my MPCNC and wouldn’t be without them. I always home the XY at the beginning of a program so I can have multiple gcode files and not worry about my stepper drivers turning off between passes.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Can’t wait to see it. Are you sure the Z-Axis isn’t just sad?

Josh
    Participant

The suspense is worse than Christmas morning!

David
    Participant

Depending on how fast it falls the Z axis dropping when powered off almost seems like a feature.. No need to calibrate the endmill position if it’s already on top of the workspace.

Leo69
    Participant

Congrats on the successful test run! Be careful about providing too many photos and details. Those a**holes at Mercado libre probably have this post bookmarked.

Ryan
    Keymaster

PCFlyer – Just a printed part with an adjuster screw to apply pressure on the screw or coupler?

Drew – I think it will have to be a end of cut type of thing but a maximum will be tough to implement at the same time the most useful I think. To have it end and move way up will let you work around it. Or a parking block…WOW…Thanks for the inspiration. I think that gave me an idea.

Josh – I am sorry. It is a mixture of things. I want to keep the updates coming so you know I am working on it. I don;t want to make promises i haven’t test, it has to work. I also don’t want the Leech’s from mercadolibre steeling from us.

Jeffeb3 – No it isn’t sad at all it is styln’. It is just like a lowrider. When you power it down if slowly lowers just like an old impala on airbags.

David – It just will lower more on whatever side the router is on….bummer.

Leo – my biggest fear….except I kknow those punk a%% b&tches can’t CAD there way out of a box. They need the files and our pictures even. …..They can;t even take there own pictures…..how freaking lame is that.

I hope to share a low resolution video soon.

Aze Aze
    Participant

Ryan, for the Mercado Libre futur problems, put a visible logo like on each 3D printed part (they won’t be able to CAD-clear it), each picture (in the middle, with some opacity), each video, everywhere in the firmware…Or directly write ‘Mercadro Libre is sh*t’ everywhere. It will be understood ;=)

Josh
    Participant

Nothing to be sorry for! This is such a great project and I have had such a blast putting together my first build with my 10 yr old. I’m excited to see what this version looks like because I will for sure be building one.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Most of the new parts have my new logo in them…They will not be released until they all have it. It would also be funny to put that wording in there. I could make it so small it wouldn’t show up on the prints but you could see it in the slicer!

cave
    Participant

The logo / message has to appear on the printed parts too – otherwise whoever is selling them will just print-and-sell and not care that the STLs are watermarked.

The parts you sell could have no messages (or just a logo) – there is a guy who has published a lot of gliders / “paper” (plastic) planes on Thingiverse, the free ones have eg. Dogecoin logo on them, but if you buy the STL it is advertising-free.

Matt saeger
    Participant

How about your url instead of the logo?

Ryan
    Keymaster

LowRider CNC- Full sheeter

Gone move this over here so we can discuss whats next in this thread.

Walter
    Participant

No do one like this…

A 3D printer which can transform

A 3D printer which can transform, CNC, LASER

Posted by Febtop Tech on Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Teut
    Participant

I for one would love it… If, when you think about future designs.. you focus on using your original design as a evolutionary building block for the next machine. For example… Provide a printer kit, that allows you to make the mpcnc… Which allows you to make the lowrider… In other words… Build a complete manufacturering​ plant in stages. One leading into others.

Nate
    Participant

I for one would love it… If, when you think about future designs.. you focus on using your original design as a evolutionary building block for the next machine. For example… Provide a printer kit, that allows you to make the mpcnc… Which allows you to make the lowrider… In other words… Build a complete manufacturering​ plant in stages. One leading into others.

This is exactly how I built my MPCNC (still need to make a build thread, been having to much fun!). I built a Kossel style delta just to print off the parts and learn more about printing (of course now that I have it it gets used for other stuff almost every day).

Now I’m using both the MPCNC and the Delta to produce a Lowrider(also needs a build thread). I couldn’t be happier with how this has all turned out and everything I’ve learned. A step by step “Factory from scratch” guide would be really cool.

Cheers and thanks Ryan for the great designs!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I like the concept, but the next machine would have to be really badass for someone to want to build a machine to cut parts for the new machine….

I have a few ideas, and everyone has been giving good suggestions for a “pro” version. It would probably have a 3d printable or machinable pieces in the design so maybe some metal could be used in a few key areas if you wanted to. I just don’t want to alienate to many people, with specialized hardware or parts, I love the fact that people can scrounge parts if they want and have a functional machine.

I just finished up both of my large personal projects so now it is time to focus on this again.

James Donnelly
    Participant

Great to hear you’re getting back into this, and I look forward to any new ideas coming out.

Metal parts crossed my mind the other day. But I have no idea what problems they’d solve with the current designs or future ones.

I have been watching vids about making a foundry and lost pla casting, so I am fairly intrigued by the idea. Wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but I would give it a try.

Ulli
    Participant

In Germany, and probably everywhere in continental Europe, the metric sizes (20 and 25 mm) of polished stainless steel tubes are very common – and not very expensive. Imperial measures are hardly available, and if, at astronomic prices since they have to be imported from remote sites where they hang more to traditions… 🙂

Imperial sizes may still be in use in the plumbing industry, but then, they are all far from being stainless… and far from being of one inch diameter.

You can get unpolished stainless tubes here too, but they are not suitable for us – welding seams and other surface irregularities. Polished material is only a few percent more expensive – and worth every Eurocent.

Stay with the metric sizes please – they are the standard. Imperial sizes will disappear faster and faster. China goes metric too – nuff said?

Ulli
    Participant

Progress has always been based on breaking old rules…

One piece that you addressed also already is the stepper holder plate. Making it from aluminium is one way, but there is another plastic material called HPL (High Pressure Laminate). It is sturdy as rock, millable, comes in various thicknesses (n mm), and can be easily shaped with saws, drills, and milling tools! It is pretty heat resistant (and NOT thermoplastic!) – and cheap. Ideal for simple mechanical elements that can be made from board material. You can even tap threads in it down to M3 or less. Glueable as well…

The M in MPCNC would still stay valid if HPL pieces are integrated…

Another thought, more on the fuctional side: Did you ever consider to change the belt path to a hoist configuration? That would double the way the stepper has to pull the belt, but also double the available force and halving the smallest path step. The existing setup could be changed very easily: Replace the belt end holders with pulleys on both sides, run the belt back to the roller from both corner ends, add a fixing block there on the roller where both ends of the belt are clamped – in a fixed connection with the roller car. Belt tightening can be done by adjusting one of the pulleys at the axis’ ends.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I like the idea of doubling the resolution and doubling the force. It would also double the flex of the belt and add a few costs and parts. Interesting.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Interesting for sure. Right now I am still focused on rigidity over power, but That definitely has me thinking. That HPL looks great but I am not seeing it for Cheap anywhere.

Jakob A
    Participant

I have been thinking about trying out this design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2368805
    One thing that annoys me a bit with the current MPCNC design is having to square it every time 🙂

Maybe I should wait and see, would be very interested in a more rigid design.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You will need to square any machine everytime. If yours is really far off you should take the center apart and put it back together. It should only take a quick measurement on each axis to verify square, if you have to wrestle with it it is tensioned wrong. Do to the size of each axis you will always get some sort of racking with manual movement, once the steppers are energized it is locked in place. Even on the large machines.

Have you seen my LowRider CNC?
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1958150

I am not exactly sure why he made that mashup but I do feel the LowRider CNC will do a better job at that size. The geometry of the lowrider keeps it most rigid at the bottom, that design and the MPCNC are most rigid at the top and are very dependant on the size you make it, the lowrider was designed with that in mind.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

One thing that annoys me a bit with the current MPCNC design is having to square it every time ?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1755510

These things made squaring a lot easier with my CNC. I just had the motors on as long as the machine was on, so I’d hold the gantry against this end, and turn on the machine.

Viewing 30 posts - 391 through 420 (of 442 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.