MPCNC Version 2 -opinions-

New Home Forum Updates MPCNC Version 2 -opinions-

Viewing 30 posts - 361 through 390 (of 442 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Keymaster

It is half skinned now. I put a tone of effort into making the surface as flat as possible. I clamped every single joint with flat stock on the surface before screwing and gluing. Without doing any adjustments I was within 1/8″square across the diagonals. I was shocked…still the surface is far from perfect. Time will tell how the cuts come out. I think I will have to design some sort of flatpack table to make it better, we’ll see.

Walter
    Participant

Just glue a piece of 1″ mdf to the top and machine it down flat

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m not that worried about it for anything I might do. It is more of a concern that I need it to be easy for other people to get a reasonably flat work surface easily so they do not blame the machine for cutting issues, when really it is a warped table. The table is 100% the weak point of a full sheet cutting machine. I think the cutting will be easy, holding down a full sheet could be an issue as well, down cuts bis will probably be a big seller as well. Full sheet work has a whole new sets of issues.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Whenever I use plywood or hardboard or mdf, the upcut bits make a real mess of the surface, so I use a downcut bit for anything that would be sheet sized.

I would guess most things people want to make out of a full sheet would be just through cuts, without much concern for a few mm here or there. Now, if you wanted to make the 4’x8′ PCB… Then please do, and take a video.

Milling a 4’x8′ piece of MDF to flat would take a while! And then you’d better hope it never changes!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I plan on making all my cuts un a piece of 1/2 Styrofoam insulation board from the hardware store. That way I can use screws on the mdf surface and cut all the way through by a wide margin. I am guessing this will be best for everyone.

If your goal is to mill 3d relief doors, than more care will be needed when deigning your table…is how I will have to describe it in terms of accuracy. That would be an amazing video to release this with…a 3d milled door….wonder if my landlord would get pissed if I milled a giant vicious logo in the front door, I would use a nice stain…haha

Walter
    Participant

How about changing out the doors in your house to openings that fit your silhouette… lol

As far as being slightly warped, couldn’t you get by with using estlcams surface mapping? easy just lay a 4×8 sheet of tinfoil across the entire workpiece!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m not to worried about it at the moment, Just need to make the cheapest,easiest, flattest table possible.

John
    Participant

I had some slightly ambitious plans to weld up mini I-beams to the EMT to increase rigidity for a large build. I think that I will wait to see what comes of the new version instead. Could you add me to the beta once you release?

Ryan
    Keymaster

YES!!!!!!!!

I am smiling ear to ear. Seeing something in cad for weeks, building pieces of it, editing, rebuilding never prepares you for seeing it whole for the first time. I am super happy with it right now! I have it all on the table, 90% assembled. No z axis screws or belts yet. It is all there just I know I need to pull it apart one more time.

I put it together to check the fit and figure out the vacuum hose situation…Using one of those aluminum channels some of you are using will be a cool deal I think. The hose seems to behave well when you put the right twist on it.

Pretty sure it is now going to be the “Low Rider CNC” (unless that might be offensive in anyway), but it, well, looks like a low rider. Reminds me of my bus, I really wish I didn’t sell it.

https://goo.gl/photos/WcCu1xPh4DcczmFs5
    https://goo.gl/photos/KhpPA72NFeYC7dy58
    https://goo.gl/photos/vam87BA2ZAmewthUA

Peter Grace
    Participant

Now I’m going to have to engrave a trollface for you, I think.

I got so excited thinking those pictures were going to be the big reveal!

It’s not April 1st! Quit playing games with my heart!

Ryan
    Keymaster

It is killing me not to show your guys yet. I am sooo sorry ……….Just a few more days.

I want to show it 100% complete and after a test cut so I don’t super troll with something that doesn’t work. No vapor ware from me.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It’s gunna take a lot of belt…I just realized that. I’ll see If I can get a better deal on bulk belt from china ASAP. Before the month long vacation starts over there.

Kevin Lopez
    Participant

So, it is pretty much a much bigger and flatter CNC for cutting sheets? (I am kind of new here)

Bill
    Participant

Yep, it’ll cut a full 4×8 sheet.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sh%T!! 5 foot spans of stainless make amazing springs….So that means it is not looking good at all. It is pretty easy to flex the long span by hand but If I grip the bit it isn’t noticeable. I spent too much time at the hardware store so I didn’t get to cut with it yet. Hard to say if it is going to work as it..if not it won’t be the lowRider anymore…

I need to put on the belts and give it a test ride tomorrow.

I haven’t moved to plan B yet but I do have a plan C now in case B doesn’t work either.

Bill
    Participant

You can always lead us on to plan H or N or whatever. We’ll be happy to follow on. 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks Bill.

Plan B involves 10′ more of stainless (maybe 5′), really want to avoid that. I am hoping the over all mass dampens the oscillation. I am not too worried about flex in the Z direction, more about chatter and torque around the axis perpendicular to the bit. Maybe I am just over thinking it. I should have stayed and just got the dam thing moving.

On a plus note the new wiring harness’ fit and are wired in series now. The z axis is a close one, about 1.5″ to spare getting it plugged in after that no problem.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well I moved it around a bit today under it’s own pwer. Got the vacuum hose mounted and it works well enough for now.

I had assembled it with a 1st gen set of parts missing 2 holes on one of them the 2 that hold the z axis nut…I marked them with calipers and hand drilled them in. Didn’t work. Good thing I have a few cnc machines! So tomorrow, I need to cut 2 more panels shouldn’t take long, dis-assemble, then reassemble, then maybe try it out.

Looks like if a vacuum hose is being used one of my wiring harness wires won’t work it is a bit too short, not 100% sure yet but a shielded cable on that one is probably a better idea anyway since it is close to the router power line.

Feeling like progress is going sooo slow now.

James Donnelly
    Participant

Before the breakthrough,
    tension comes. Many turn back on
    the brink of success.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Don’t think allthread is going to work anymore. Redesigning for the leadscrews. Just going to have to consider the leadscrew nuts as consumables at this point. Pretty sure the weight is going to destroy them really fast. If I buy enough of them I can get them really cheap for us.

I drove it around the table, just couldn’t get consistent z axis results.

So… it’s alive!

David
    Participant

Regarding leadscrews: ballscrews are cheap these days. I recently got 2 500mm long 16mm diameter sets for $15 each

Ryan
    Keymaster

You have a link for those?

David
    Participant

Nah, they delisted it once they realized their mistake. I’m confident I could find a dwcent dwal still though. What length are you looking for?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I need bulk quantities of around 250mm

David
    Participant
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah but those are 12mm and then I would need new couplers as well.

I guess if the lead screws I have work Those can be an upgrade option if needed.

David
    Participant

If you need 16mm they’re around.. I would just spend a half hour or so every week checking ali express. I plan on printing couplers for my use, but I haven’t actually done it so I don’t know for certain it will work out well.

Excited to see what you come up with!

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Did someone say full sheet machine? 🙂

Mike B
    Participant

Keep up thegood work on this!

can’t wait to see it!

i’ve been hoping for a full sheet 4×8 machine since i saw the mpcnc

Ryan
    Keymaster

Success! The leadscrews works perfect…. Except on power down they lower the z axis. Default keeping the steppers energized will help but I see a lot of people having this cause issues. Not sure what to do about it right now becuase i want to cut something already!

Viewing 30 posts - 361 through 390 (of 442 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.