MPCNC Ukraine

This topic contains 49 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

WOC=90%

Use 45% or less. another suggestion is raise the material as close to the gantry as you can get it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Guffy
    Participant

Hi again

I have mounted top plate on the table

Also yet another test of milling. Carbide bit with 1 flute 1.5x5mm, 21000rpm, 0.5mm doc, 30% woc, xy200mm/min z100mm/min feedrate, total doc 1mm (2 passes). Job time 14 min.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That looks great!

Guffy
    Participant

Thanks )
    I can note that guide https://www.v1engineering.com/aluminum-guide/ by Kevin has a few moments that I don’t think is best.

Firstly, he said that he recomends adaptive milling in Fusion 360 and trochoidal in Estlcam. I can’t say anything about Fusion yet, but trochoidal milling, imho, is not a silver bullet and may be shoudn’t be recomeneded as default mode. I didn’t find proper parameters for it yet and it’s easy to get geometry distorsions because of heavy millng head, high feedrates and properties of the belts. And I guess at slow feedrates (to avoid this issue)it will requare really huge amount of time for a job. It’s an art to find a balance how to cut best – with ordinary milling, small DOC and a few passes or trochoidal milling with trying to cut full depth.
    Even his video shows that he cuts with ordinary milling. )
    So i think that trochoidal milling could be used with care.

Secondary, he prefer to do not provide exact numbers. This means that everybody has to start from scratch. That’s formally true that every build is a bit different. Build dimensions, conduits, weight of a tool, power and rpm of the motor.
    But at same time all build are +- very similar machines with relative comparable characteristics.
    So, Imho, it would be nice to show a few examples with real numbers. Type of alloy (soft\hard), type of a bit, DOC, WOC, RPM, feedrate. The best is to have checklist for such example, like “if you has <this> issue – increase\decrease <that> parameter”.

Guffy
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks I will take some notes here.

So i think that trochoidal milling could be used with care.

It is used in place of slotting in hard materials where full diameter bit load is impractical (metals). Pockets are best done with peel where possible.

I didn’t find proper parameters for it yet and it’s easy to get geometry distorsions

You should always use a finishing pass for this very reason, on all cuts.

So, Imho, it would be nice to show a few examples with real numbers.

I have a getting started basics specs page, other than that you will find most all videos anyone puts up I have asked to include specs. There is a ~10’x10′ plasma machine and a few 10″x10″ machines. Everyone is hesitant to use real numbers in a guide because of this. If you read some of the posts here you will see I recommend starting at 8mm/s yet most trouble shooting posts are 20-50mm/s.  Even your cut posted above is 20mm/s (I know why you did it that fast, but using it as an example), I recommend deeper before your try faster.

I completely understand and hear your issues and frustrations but it unfortunately is just not that easy. Tall machine, dull endmill (or even worse home depot router bits), spindle RPM and power, super thick rails, everything matters, and it matter more than just 1mm/s it is a large difference, in wood you even have density and knots to deal with, zip tying a vac hose too it, etc.

We have tried to make a speeds page and or posts but no one ever takes the time to list all relevant specs so they are fairly useless. Machine dimensions and tube diameter, approx spindle RPM and power, what exact bit and how new it is, all relevant feeds and speeds specs, material being used, and ever CAM toolpath style selected. I know it sucks but in a very short amount of time you will know what your exact build will do, always make a small test cut, and take notes of what you did.

https://fswizard.com/www/

This calc will get you in the ball park, once you find the right load settings for your machine you can easily get solid numbers first try.

Guffy
    Participant

Thanks
    Yes, I understand that it’s not easy. When I bought 3d printer and had started to printing 10 month ago it took about 2-3 month before I began to feel that have a bit of experience. Just in 3d printing community site where I usualy read blogs it’s usual that guys share parameters of printing. May be it’s wrong expectation for cnc world )
    I hope that studing of cnc will be faster with my 3d printing expirience in background. Now I almost get used to have zero position in any point in the working area.:)

If you read some of the posts here you will see I recommend starting at 8mm/s yet most trouble shooting posts are 20-50mm/s. Even your cut posted above is 20mm/s (I know why you did it that fast, but using it as an example), I recommend deeper before your try faster.

I used 1200mm/min (20mm/sec) for trochoidal milling. In ordinary cuts I used 450mm/min (7.5mm/sec) for 1/8` bit and 200mm/min (3.3mm/s) for 1.5mm bit (cutted logo above that i had milled with relatively nice quality)

https://fswizard.com/www/ This calc will get you in the ball park, once you find the right load settings for your machine you can easily get solid numbers first try.

Yes, I know this calc. But in Andriod application variant. Nice application

Guffy
    Participant

Hi again

May be not too fast, but the project going ahead.

For the monting plate I was designed and printed clamps.

Today I made z-probe. So now i could try to milling with changing tools.

Tried to mill relative hard aluminium alloy.

Guffy
    Participant

Hi again.

Maybe not too fast, but the project is going ahead. I designed and printed clamps for the table, made z-probe (so now I can change tools during milling) and tried to mill relative hard aluminium alloy.

Guffy
    Participant

New test cut.

1. I have studied Fusion 360 CAM (2d milling part). So it’s first cut made without estlcam. I achieved how to make a pocket+island with using adaptive milling mode (helix lead in, 3 passes with DOC=1mm, WOC=1.2mm, leave 0.5mm of material at contour for final pass) and then final pass (DOC=3/WOC=0.5)

2. The milling involves 2 tools and gcode has tool change sequence.

3. All that had been done with v10 postprocessor which i modified for real support issuing change tool code.

Bill
    Participant

Those are really nice clean cuts. 🙂

Benjammann
    Participant

New test cut.

2. The milling involves 2 tools and gcode has tool change sequence.

3. All that had been done with v10 postprocessor which i modified for real support issuing change tool code.

I agree, that cut looks great! What modifications did you make to the post to allow for the tool change? I’m going to be getting to this point soon.

Guffy
    Participant

What modifications did you make to the post to allow for the tool change? I’m going to be getting to this point soon.

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/fusion-360/page/10/#post-76800

Guffy
    Participant

Gcode produced with new postprocessor. Prototype of rubber mold milled from laminate. I hope i will mill it successfully from iron.

Benjammann
    Participant

Beautiful! Can you say what this is for? Is there a reason for the recess around the part? How do you fill and vent this? Are you using a vacuum chamber? You are going to attempt to mill it from steel?

Guffy
    Participant

this cnc is just a hobby for me. my brother makes things from plastic and rubber. he hopes that we can make molds for that. i think that milling a mold from aluminium for plastic is really possible. and i had a few relatively successful test cuts from aluminium. but for rubber the mold should be from iron. honestly i’m not sure that i will have success with iron. anyway i requested required bits and this is the prototype of such mold. smaller slots around main slot are technological for rubber, they helps to clean final thing

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I watched this video, and really wanted to make a mold for something:

weapons for toys seems like as good of an idea as anything else. 🙂

Guffy
    Participant

I used vacuum cleaner, but i don’t make a dust shoe yet. So hold the tube manually near the work area

Guffy
    Participant

I watched this video, and really wanted to make a mold for something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61fwAqvXPN weapons for toys seems like as good of an idea as anything else. 🙂

Can’t open the video here. Error 400 in the application

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I nicked the final ‘4’ in the url. Oops.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.