MPCNC add-on DW660 mount with vacuum attachment

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Hardware Development – MPCNC MPCNC add-on DW660 mount with vacuum attachment

This topic contains 60 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Bruh 3 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Brian
    Participant

I was planning on changing my dewalt out for a 400w spindle but since I have this printed up and working I’ve decided Im sticking with the dewalt 🙂

Tom Cole
    Participant

Did some serious lexan milling tonight. The air jet and the dust shoe together are a big improvement over the my former setup, the tapered nozzle and a hand held jet. Not only did I just get the cleanest cuts of lexan yet, but it didn’t look like it snowed in my shop afterward. I’d say an overall 80% reduction in clean-up time is a fair assessment, and the rails and belts were clean, which was a problem before.

However, too many of the chips are still getting away. I am pretty sure I can improve things much further with a brush around the dust shoe. Need to source something for that.

This was enjoyable to watch. Before, it was not uncommon for lexan chips to gall-up on the bit, eventually making swirls on the lexan along the tool path. This did not happen tonight. The chips peeled right off the bit while it was cutting.

Anonymous

I can finally mount my DW660 today… looking at the parts from Tom.. the lower parts are a given for me how they mount.. but the upper.. not so sure as the higher up on the DW660 the parts don’t even grasp the tool.

Also is there a certain orientation for the DW660 or just anyway you want to mount it using these parts?

Tom Cole
    Participant

The bottom holes of the lower bracket line up with the lowest holes of the Z tool mount and the top holes of the upper bracket line up with the highest holes of the Z tool mount. The DW660 is not round where the upper bracket grabs it, so there will be some space where the labels are located on the DW660.

The top bracket sorta looks upside down when it is mounted.

beetlejuice0331
    Participant

What are others using for air supply? Do I need a compressor?

beetlejuice0331
    Participant

I was thinking maybe a bubbler or just mounting a fan.

Tom Cole
    Participant

I have been working on the dust shoe again. I finally redrew it so I could add a brush. Made a short video to show the progress. The brush is from McMaster Carr (my favorite webstore!) found here https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/1320/=18hi79n

Here’s the video.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Cole
    Participant

So I caved in and put it on thingiverse. Seems like the best way to manage it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/tjcolejr/designs

Johnny
    Participant

Great job Tom! I like it. Looks well designed and thought out. No doubt you will make it better with a little more testing.

Sean
    Participant

I gotta say I love this setup.  I installed it immediately when I got my MPCNC setup and the difference it makes it huge.  Granted the only way I can tell is by turning the vacuum on and off and the air pump on and off butboth make a big difference.  I purchased a small airbrush compressor from harbor freight and it works great with this setup.  Just wanted to say thank you for sharing it with the community!  I am hoping to mimic the bottom mount and have a little larger hole for my vacuum so it doesn’t put as much stress on it but other than that I love it.  If you happen to be willing to share the cad files please let me know.  I will immediately send back any modifications I make so you can add them to your thingiverse listing.

Tom Cole
    Participant

I’m glad it is serving you well.  These are links to my Fusion360 files.  If you do make changes, please put them on thingiverse as a remix of the original.  I am a self-trained designer, so I apologize if my drawings are ratty.  I’m certain there are a million “best practices” that I trample.

https://a360.co/2KtHOvk  Dust Shoe

http://a360.co/2mDsm44  Air Jet mount

https://a360.co/2JIbQtL Cap for bottom of DW660 if you remove the built-in “wrench”

https://a360.co/2HHCmqI Top outside part of mount

The inside part of the top mount is a direct rip of Ryan’s original 660 mount

2 users thanked author for this post.

Brian
    Participant

**Edited: Found what I was after.

Bruh
    Participant

Grave digging this thread a bit… After gumming up a few aluminum cuts I’m working on something similar using the burly mount as the base.

The location of the 90* fitting avoids making contact with the bottom of the middle assembly.

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is a nice idea for all materials.

Bruh
    Participant

That is a nice idea for all materials.

Ryan, you don’t release the drawings for your parts (specifically tool mounts), do you? Working off of STLs has been doable but not the most pleasant experience. And while recreating models of the mounts has been a fun exercise in learning CAD, it’s certainly not quickest way to go about modifying parts.

Edit: Link to part mentioned by Ryan below: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:805803

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have a blank mount with a solid file to work with on thingiverse.

Brian
    Participant

I have literally tried for many hours to “beef up” Toms dust shoe design.  Ive found (for me anyway) the vertical wall is too thin at only 1.x mm and for whatever reason my McMaster Carr brush is WAY too tight and breaks my walls there too.  I use designspark mechanical (and love it) but editing the STL is not an option here.  Ive tried to edit the original files Tom provided but my lack of 360 knowledge has only gave me a sore back sitting here at the computer.

Sooo, If anyone could makes Toms design a little beefer in those ares I’d GREATLY appreciate it.  As is, I have a dust shoe that wont do me much good.  Thanks

Bruh
    Participant

Sooo, If anyone could makes Toms design a little beefer in those ares I’d GREATLY appreciate it. As is, I have a dust shoe that wont do me much good. Thanks

I’ll release mine when it’s wrapped up. Waiting on the brush material in the mail now.

Ryan, any issues people releasing “reverse engineered” drawings? Don’t want to step on any toes here.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ryan, any issues people releasing “reverse engineered” drawings? Don’t want to step on any toes here.

What dims are missing from my blank part drawings and solid file, on thingiverse?

Bruh
    Participant

What dims are missing from my blank part drawings and solid file, on thingiverse?

For getting something to mate to the tool mounting plate itself, none. For the lazy, like myself, not having to recreate the wheel and model the other half that mounts to the tool is nice as well.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is what I mean isn’t my blank part the dewalt lower mount?

Bruh
    Participant

Sorry for the confusion, I’ll clarify. I meant models for something along the lines of the burly mount itself. Such that I don’t need to re-model the part that clamps the neck of the DW660. Unless I’m missing something (and I’m new so I very well may be) I don’t think models for the burly mounts themselves are made public.

When I look at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:805803 I see a models for this:
    Selection_013

I was originally asking if you released models for the burly mount itself. I was left to recreate things like this for the mount with the air jet added:
    Selection_012

Ryan
    Keymaster

Just added it for you.

Bruh
    Participant

I’m still hacking away at this. I think I’ve got the lower mount pretty well sorted. Ended up making ports on both sides of the mount such that the elbow and air line can be placed on either side. I’ve sealed the unused side with a printed plug. I’m still working out the design of the shoe – I’d like to make the shoe removable without the need to remove the lower lock piece.

Likely an over optimization but It’d also be pretty slick if brush height was adjustable. Either by printing different brush mounts and making them easy to swap or making the brush mount itself have different mounting locations.

Selection_018

Attachments:

Bruh
    Participant

Bruh
    Participant

Had time to finish up enough of the burly vacjet to make some 1.5″ square test cuts in 1/2 inch ply. Inital cuts looked good. Even with the far from optimal ziptied hose management the sizing of the parts looked just about spot on. Still a few kinks to work out though:

Length of skirt relative to depth of cuts
    Angle / placement of the air jet
    Skirt material that everyone is using in this thread is really rigid stuff. So rigid that I think it may be worth thinning out to reduce the force needed for it to flex and give during cuts.
    I’m going to go through a few more iterations over the coming days/weeks and publish the drawings / STLs thereafter. So far the design hasn’t required the use of any supports while printing. Hoping to keep it that way.

2019-01-23-18_31_25-Window-3
    2019-01-23-18_49_00-Window-3
    IMG_20190123_182545-5
    IMG_20190123_182609-5

This worthy of it’s own thread or shall I continue hijack this one?

Bruh
    Participant

The shoe still needs a bit of tuning but I’m very happy with the progress thus far. Made several aluminum cuts today with no gumming up of the bit. I do need to run another circuit in the garage, however. Managed to start popping breakers with the compressor, vac, and router all running simultaneously.

Short clip of the air jet doing its thing in some 1/8″ aluminum: https://imgur.com/T29XnOb

James Harding
    Participant

@bruh, It seems as though the version you have created allows for an overall depth of cut of at least 1/2″? Can you confirm the max depth of cut with your design? Tom Cole claims his design can do a max of 1.5cm, just a little over a 1/2″. I’d like to print the design that affords me the deepest cut possible.

Also, it doesn’t appear as though you have posted your files for download, am I missing them somewhere?

Bruh
    Participant

Also, it doesn’t appear as though you have posted your files for download, am I missing them somewhere?

@cncjim

Here is the onshape document that I’ve been working out of: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8df05a4156e368a6d786f1b7/w/0a7dc92fb156884321f65542/e/f1e37b217197757171c26fb7

I can’t confirm the max DOC though I have cut 1/2″ ply with that design. The brush material that everyone in this thread uses is pretty stiff. If I did it again I’d go with something softer. You’ll lose z steps if you plunge into material far enough because the brush doesn’t flex.

You can play with the (poorly named) “Extrude 9” in that document to match your depth needs.

James Harding
    Participant

@bruh, that onshape site is…. slow… I signed up for the free account and got one email stating they would send me another email with my account information, couple days later now and I’m still waiting. Anyway you could post an STP or IGES file here?

I just created my own version…

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3511509

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.