Move Forum To Discourse?

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Move Forum To Discourse?

This topic contains 75 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 1 hour, 58 minutes ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author

I have been a trust level 3 member of the Glowforge Discourse Forum for four years. It is absolutely a joy to use. I appreciate that Ryan has done so much to keep this forum going and improving through the years. That’s helping his business but it is really helping us. But there are so many limitations to this platform in terms of easily accessing and reading old topics.

Since Discourse has different trust levels and can have special areas that are limited to those levels, perhaps there can be a sponsorship/paying tier for folks. They get access to some of the sausage making and also get a little leeway as quasi-administrators. That might offset the cost. I know there are folks you could trust to share administration duties.

I would pay monthly for this privilege it. Would be to my advantage to have a more efficient forum.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Interesting. That forum is listed on the Discourse main page as a standout so I would assume they use them. Maybe I should get there quote as well. I believe they have free migration help and maybe we fit in a middle tier somewhere, if it is close it would quickly offset the $600 migration fee.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Ryan.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well I think we could have a solution, if it is not too obtrusive the Amazon affiliate plugin offered standard on the Discorse hosting package page could offset the monthly cost.

**Spoke to soon that is just a banner add, I was hoping it was integrated links.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hmmm Digital ocean also requires a mailgun license. 10k emails are free a month and $5/10k after that. That sounds steep? So would each notification email count as one or each person subscribed that gets one? I can see burning through a ton of money  on emails alone. I have no idea how many we currently use.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I have no idea how many we currently use.

I get 10x emails at least per day. I bet up to about 50x on busy days (like today). But I don’t even get emailed when I write something :)!

So just for me, it’s between 300-1500 per month. I would guess closer to 500.

So it would be important to know if discourse emails are counted against that 10k. I would guess you’d easily reach 50k sometimes on hot topics. It’s possible there would be even more engagement with a better service too.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah, this sucks. I have been at this for hours. I am getting no closer to a decision.

DO is an unknown cost probably a minimum of $80, or who knows maybe wayyyy more. DiscourseHosting has not gotten back about any real details about anything performance or speed related but seems to be the best deal. Using discourse hosting seems like we are even above the $300 package….Dude this sucks. I just know we are on borrowed time with bbpress and my current host.

Migrating seems a bit rough, we have attachments and logins to worry about. This may or may not be easy.

I was about to just sign up and try digital ocean when I realized it is probably the same cost as DH minus the one time migration and they would be a hell of a lot less work for me. Hopefully they get back with some details.

Ryan
    Keymaster

With the instructions I have seen on DH and from there email it almost seems like I am doing most of the migration anyway…so if DO is cheaper and easy. I guess I need to check it out and see what happens. Once I have Discourse running I think moving hosts is fairly easy.

John Boiles
    Participant

I’m happy to kick-in some cash for migration cost if that ends up being a deciding factor. Thanks for diving into this Ryan, I recognize it’s a lot of work.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is a generous offer, I would be ready to do it if I just had a higher confidence level in the decision.

I wish I had gotten more into these platforms. I worked a lot with Mediawiki, Drupal and WordPress when I was teaching school and ran local servers for my students to learn this stuff. I have done a library information systems software and have Google compute engine to run a local libraries IT on. But these days hosting has gotten so complicated, especially with security and managing traffic.

Hadn’t thought about email notification of posts. I don’t use that at all. I just hang out on the forum. The mobile app is really efficient for keeping track of things.

I’d kick in some $$$ for migration too.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah it seems doable because of all the random software things I have used over the years but I have very little linux experience. Besides keeping things running updated, and spam free, there are also security updates to worry about in the ubuntu (or other distro) to worry about.

The DH package sounds good but they limit the plug-ins you can use for security reasons, understandable but something to think about. I just wish the discourse packages were a little less expensive.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Okay this is about to get started, it could take a week or more. Test move, I hope I can let you all check it out, test for issues, then a real move.

Any specific plugins you can think of? Keep in mind the less of these we use the faster, cheaper and more stable the resource hog will be! The only one that is iffy would be a translation plugin but I need one that is not always on, they are charged separately and can be very expensive.

The current package has these by default;

• AdSense
    • Akismet (a complimentary license is provided by us)
    • Chat Integration
    • Data Explorer
    • Patreon
    • Poll
    • Sitemap
    • Solved
    • Spoiler Alert
    • Staff Notes
    • Tagging

Not sure if adsense makes sense here, I have not had time to dig into it very far but I do not intend on running ads but I would still like to use affiliate links, they really help some months.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Ryan.

Ben Seigal
    Participant

I don’t know much, but if you need a hand let me know…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I probably would have used mathjax once or twice, although the syntax is hard enough to get right that I might not…

Ryan
    Keymaster

OMG I was logged into the current hosting server getting the files ready….we are absolutely destroying it right now. I hope this does not take long, we are over on drive space and resources CPU and MEM…..ooops.

Mathjax, on the  list to look into.

I am not seeing many lists of plugins. I am sure there is a top ten somewhere.

Ryan
    Keymaster

forum.v1engineering.com ?? Forums.v1engineering.com, gurugarden.v1engineering.com, dude.v1engineering.com, help.v1engineering.com. Anything inparticular we should use?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Why do we always have to name things!

discource.v1engineering.com?

Ryan
    Keymaster

No way, I keep misspelling that, and calling it disquse, discord.

Naming, the secret hard part we keep dealing with.

support.v1engineering.com or forum.v1engineering.com sound good to me, we have shop.v1engineering.com, we probably need docs.v1engineering.com as well.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Test. Test.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Craptastic, this works just not the direct link. I think I got busted for being so far over

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The emails are working too, FWIW.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Dang it…exactly why I need to move sooner than later. Host says they dd nothing, I corrected them and told them the previous tech deleted my cache and now it doesn’t work “well that could not have done that”…will it did.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well, my subdomain creation created a default link to the regular link…wtf

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That’s all over my head. :/

Ryan
    Keymaster

We’ll see, It is over mine as well, but my BS detector was going nuts.

New forums are scheduled to be seen sometime after next weekend for a test run. Feels like forever!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

What will happen to the forums until then and after that?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Nothing, at that point we should be able to take a test ride and make sure everything works and get pulled over correctly, logins, links, attachments. If it is good then we set a date and time to pause (read only) the current forums, do a new current backup,  and do a swap to the new one ( a few hours fingers crossed).

John Boiles
    Participant

I’ve seen community as a popular subdomain name. community.v1engineering.com but I also think just forums.v1engineering.com is straightforward

Ben Seigal
    Participant

I am active on Chefknivestogoforums.com.  they have a separate domain name for the forum to keep things cleaner.  forum.V1 makes a lot of sense too

David Walling
    Participant

I vote forums.v1engineering.com

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.