motormount plates

New Home Forum Things You Have Made motormount plates

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ulli 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Ulli
    Participant

Having had in mind to enforce my version 01 MPCNC for a long time, I finally managed to cut four motormount plates from 6mm aluminium. Mind you, cutting was done on the MPCNC itself.

The old motormounts were, sorry, Ryan, like a piece of intent. Milling_20190305_0012-2

Milling the new plates (based on an old dxf file from Ryan) MPCNC_Alu__20190312_0012

took its time and toll (as broken cutting bits) Milling_20190305_0021

Finally, mpcnc_motormounts_20190314_09, I had four plates, this mpcnc_motormounts_20190314_01 shows the evolution from first try (left) to pretty good (right).

After installing them mpcnc_New_motormounts_20190314_0003 the machine was on a different level. Practical tests will follow in the next days. mpcnc_New_motormounts_20190314_0006

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah I made those with every intent of them being injection molded.

Ulli
    Participant

A hint that we can expect an MPIM?

(Mostly Printed Injection Molder)

I felt very much in the tradition of the original RPers when making these: The self-replicating and -evolving machine.

One could cut them from hard plywood (at least birch, better beech or mahogany) too.

Fascinating, btw, how precise the parts came out in the end. mpcnc_motormounts_20190314_08
    Mostly.

Cheers,

U.

Bill
    Participant

Oooh, an inverted GT2 belt pulley!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ulli
    Participant

Failed attempt of the machine to replicate itself. 😉

MrMeatGrinder
    Participant

I just finished replacing my original version 1 machine with the latest burly parts.  I have to say that it is functionally and practically a totally different machine in terms of performance.  Although I use mine almost exclusively for carving, the difference in rigidity and reliability are astounding.

I’m impressed that you were able to do those aluminum parts with that version of the machine.  I never even considered it an option with my own.  What was your tool and feeds/speeds?

Ulli
    Participant

Sorry it took me a few days to reply; I used 2flute-VHM aluminium end mills bought from Sorotec .

They also have excellent drill-less tools for wood. Makita RT0700 spindle, running at about 14kRPM, 0.1 mm per Z-step, 200mm/min, and widening of the slot to an island, 30% track overlap. Don’t even think of making it faster. And that with the old sloggy setup.

Right now I am printing the Burly parts, giving my new 160 € (!!!) alfawise U30  printer a nice burn-in. Nice machine for that price! As with the first generation, I use PETG filament.

Oh well, and thanks for your comment!

Trey
    Participant

Ulli, what cable did you use for your steppers? Looks like a nice shielded cable.

Ulli
    Participant

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes, industrial grade multipole shielded cable. I don’t like the thin model train wires. Way too much inductivity. I  think these are 4 x 1.5 mm^2, don’t know the corresponding AWG#.

Cheers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.