Mini Rambo and TTL Laser

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Mini Rambo and TTL Laser

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Casey
    Participant

Hi all,

I just bought a chinese laser with a 12v input for power and a ttl input for control.  I have read a few threads on the forum but I couldn’t find any conclusion as to where or how to find a ttl capable pin on the mini rambo.

Does anyone have any experience with this? any help is greatly appreciated.

Casey

Ryan
    Keymaster

UltiMachine Control Boards

1 user thanked author for this post.

Casey
    Participant

Thank you ryan! I have found that before while searching.  I have enabled that pin via firmware, but I am still unsure how to hook the laser board up to it.  My laser board has a 2 pin plug labled TTL(+,-).  How do I hook those two pins to the pin 23 of the min rambo?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry for that part I can not help you. There are just too many lasers and they all seem to hook up differently. I have been dying to add a better laser page but as of right now, they are all just too different. Post what you have and hopefully someone can jump in and tell you how they did it.

Casey
    Participant

Thank you sir.

For anyone that has experience with this, this is what i have….

A 12V laser goes to the driver board.  The board has a 12V input and came with a 12V power supply.  It also has a 5V TTL input.  I assume this is the signal that switches the laser on and off.

Does anyone know where the + and the – for the 5V TTL would plug into the Rambo Mini?

Thanks for any help.

Casey

Lénaïc
    Participant

My laser board has a 2 pin plug labled TTL(+,-).  How do I hook those two pins to the pin 23 of the min rambo?

I dont know your laser board, neither the mini Rambo, but TTL is between +V and zero. So I would wire TTL+ to the pin 23, and TTL- to the ground.

Can you post a link to your chinese laser ? 🙂

Do you have an oscillo, or can you have access to one ? then it could be easy to check.

Steve
    Participant

You have to remap Fan1 as described in this post.

Then connect your TTL from your laser board to Z-MIN on the Mini Rambo.

IMG_7693-1

Before you connect your laser you can verify proper control buy powering up your Mini Rambo and using the control menu on your LCD to vary the setting of Fan 1  (0 to 255).  Z-MIN out should change from 0 to 5v. So a setting of Fan 1 to 127 (~1/2 of 255) should be a Z-MIN (TTL) setting of ~2.5 volts.

Note: I did notice that the link Ryan posted is using Z-MAX and this post is using Z-MIN

Attachments:

Steve
    Participant

Once you get that working the gcode commands for Fan 1 (aka Laser) are;

M107 Fan 1/Laser off

and M106 S(some number from 0 to 255) Fan 1/Laser on at some variable power setting.

M106 S127

See gcode pdf

Casey
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the awesome help.  I’m getting ready to try it out as adviced.

Here is the link of the laser I purchased.  It may be overpriced and crap, but being in alaska, my options are pretty much limited to amazon prime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BS98YXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Aaron
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the awesome help. I’m getting ready to try it out as adviced.

Here is the link of the laser I purchased. It may be overpriced and crap, but being in alaska, my options are pretty much limited to amazon prime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BS98YXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

That’s a fair price. My laser is half that wattage and cost half as much. 5w could probably engrave pretty quick, or at least the same rate without working too hard.

Casey
    Participant

Success!

Thanks everyone for all the help.  It paid off big time.  The extension in inkscape made it a mirror image for some reason, but besides that, not bad for a very first test.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Steve
    Participant

What inkscape extensions are you using? I use J tech laser.

Word of warning the files dxf_input.py and dxf_input.inx that come with J tech differ from what ships with inkscape now. I had to reinstall the inkscape versions to get DXF files to import correctly.

Robert
    Participant

what is the out put voltage on fan port 1 ? do I need to connect a 12v to 5v converter for a 2.5 w laser or not?

Ryan
    Keymaster

That all depends on your laser and that is not enough information.

Have a look at the laser page on this site and see if that clears anything up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.