mechanical keyboard

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic mechanical keyboard

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Has anyone carved the body for mechanical keyboard? I’m thinking of making an ergodox or ergodox mini and I would love to make it from something nice with the Low Rider. If anyone has tips, I’d appreciate it. I have built a Planck and I use a pok3r now.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Guessing from the crickets, you haven’t :).

I decided to buy the iris pcb from here:

Iris Keyboard – PCBs for Split Ergonomic Keyboard

I also bought a simple case, but I hope to build at least the bottom part from wood on the cnc. It kind of depends on if I want to raise it up at an angle. The pcb doesn’t seem to be open source :(, but the case is and the software is. I ordered a box of switches and stuff from ali, do hopefully I’ll be able to work on it during Christmas break.

As someone who writes on a keyboard at a linux workstation, I’m pretty sure I’ll get the value back. At least that’s what I’m telling myself. I’m already thinking about the next one…

I do have a little bit of the hand and finger pain starting, but it’s probably as much to do with typing on a smart phone as at my desk.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is a lot of soldering, it does look like a really cool project though.

Bill
    Participant

And they provide STL files for the keyboard case. Now all you need is the keys themselves.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m trying to make a case out of maple, and I am trying to do the simplest thing if just see if my scale is right. So I 2D printed an outline. Apparently, I suck at 2D printing. This is after using 5 programs total to convert formats…

2018-12-23-12.22.40

It looks fine in the print preview, so maybe it’s my printer/post script thing? I think it’s funny that I’ve somehow gotten worse at things like email and printing. Maybe I’ll just print the first two layers on my printer :).

Ryan
    Keymaster

Printing a PDF should work, as long as you are sure to set your printer to “actual size”. At least that is the only way I have ever printed true scale.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It looks like it’s close to the right size, and it actually is a pdf. It’s definitely odd though.

Attachments:
    1. Iris_v1.pdf

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’ll figure it out. I am trying to do this quickly, between taking shoes away from Alice “tastes everything” the daughter. I’ll have better luck after they go to bed.

BT
    Participant

What did you use to design it?  It does look odd, with some almost doubled lines and zig zags in various places.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I downloaded the .ai (illustrator file), opened it in inkscape, saved as dxf, imported into onshape. Offset the edges and extended the wrist rest, saved as dxf, opened in librecad, printed to pdf, loaded to google drive, opened on the phone, then printed it…

I think the error was in libredcad printing to pdf. I think it thinks the paper is 8.5x11mm.

I’m probably going to trace/redraw the original in onshape because it’s super slow with all the data in the original file. But I still need a bulletproof way to print it how it will be carved.

I am not really asking for help, I just thought it was funny.

BT
    Participant

I just had a typical male response, doubly so since I’m an engineer too: See problem…try to fix problem…fix problem wrong way.  My wife has told me many times to practice the bucket method and just listen.  Apparently, just because someone is talking about a problem does not mean they want me to fix it.

Anyway, sounds like you have many hours of fun ahead of you.  Good luck!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

FTR, forums are an appropriate place for support. No offense taken. I have redrawn it and when I set the scale to 1:1 in librecad and set the paper size to the mm size of a letter, it printed with fine resolution, but still about 5% off in size. I added a rectangle and that was the wrong size too, so it’s definitely my printing. I think I’ll probably have to open the windows vm and try that.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I found a printer that I could use to reliably print 1:1.

IMG_20190107_154359

IMG_20190107_155127

IMG_20190107_155745

I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to try this. That was really fun to watch, easy to do, and it worked very well.

I’m really liking this keyboard. I have the keymap almost perfect, and my hands are starting to find keys faster than my head. I want to carve that wrist rest out of a common, but nice hardwood. Like maple or cherry.

BT

Ryan
    Keymaster

That looks pretty cool. It would take a lot of swear words for my hunt and peck method to get used to it, but maybe it would fix my “teh” and “can;t” habit…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m hoping having it split, and having the modifiers from my pinkies to my thumbs will make me feel better after being at my keyboard all day. I have a pretty keyboard centric workflow and desktop environment.

Bill
    Participant

How many passes does it take that pen to build up those keys? 🙂

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I always only use one pass!

David Walling
    Participant

I tried out a Microsoft natural keyboard years ago. I haven’t used anything else since.

The pinky buttons land in just about a perfect spot for me.

The more DIY keyboards look pretty slick. I’ve always wanted to try making a wooden keyboard.

I know the feeling about the ‘bucket’ thing… One of my wife’s bigger complaints is that I can’t always ‘just listen’ to something without trying to figure out a way to fix it. I’m an engineer. I fix things for a living. In the shop, if I can’t fix something, I get a bigger hammer… in life, if I can’t fix something, I get a bigger hammer….

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I know the feeling about the ‘bucket’ thing… One of my wife’s bigger complaints is that I can’t always ‘just listen’ to something without trying to figure out a way to fix it. I’m an engineer. I fix things for a living. In the shop, if I can’t fix something, I get a bigger hammer… in life, if I can’t fix something, I get a bigger hammer….

Yeah, when sometimes when you try to suggest a solution, they only think you’re not empathizing, and try harder to convince you it sucks, which makes them even more angry about it… People make the worst computers, so illogical!

Barry
    Participant

How long can that connector cable be?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

How long can that connector cable be?

Pretty long. It’s just got 5V, GND and either UART or I2C. I would think with 5V digital signals, it could be very long. Maybe not Ethernet cable long, but certainly video cable long, like 10m?

Why?

Barry
    Participant

Thinking one on each arm of a chair.  Cable would have to wrap around the back.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Thinking one on each arm of a chair. Cable would have to wrap around the back.

I might actually try that. For my office chair.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.