Max feed rate for steppers.

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Max feed rate for steppers.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dave S 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dave S
    Participant

Howdy.  Wondering a couple things.  Is there a firmware limit on max feed rate?   Or a physical limit on the steppers / overall machine build?   I’m running the standard kit from V1 with a full rambo with dual endstops.    I’m cutting PVC foam board (Azec) and it seems like I need to go fast to avoid melting.  I pushed it to 150 ipm (64 mm/s) and it seems to work ok, but I think wants to go faster.

Ryan
    Keymaster

What type of endmill? Single flute is what you should be using, each flute doubles the speed you need to go.

Is there a firmware limit on max feed rate? Or a physical limit on the steppers / overall machine build?

Yes, Both. the firmware is set at 100-120 XY, Z is 10-30. At those speeds you have very little torque left. You can either cut deeper , lower your RPM, change endmills, or change to larger pulleys.

Dave S
    Participant

Understood.    The FW limit must be why the speed increases I tried didn’t really feel like a big boost.    I was using a single flute upcut as well as a solid 90 deg v-bit.    I’ll bring down the speed of my router too and see if it cleans it up some more.   Thanks for being quick to respond!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.