Major changes headed my way…

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Major changes headed my way…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dkj4linux 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

dkj4linux
    Participant

First, I want to say thanks, Ryan, for giving the world such a neat set of machines… and a revolutionary MostlyPrinted construction method that has given me — and undoubtedly countless others — literally months/years of enjoyment and satisfaction. Trying to stay as “sharp” as I can, for as long as I can, I could not have asked for a better, or more fun, way to spend my time than building machines using the techniques you’ve given us. You have my sincerest gratitude and appreciation for your obvious talent, generosity, and tireless support.

And, FWIW I think the rest of you guys here on the forum are pretty OK, also… 😉

Something I never thought I’d do, I’m selling my place and moving to the San Antonio area. I’d originally intended to spend the remainder of my days here on my family’s plot of land in East Texas and, for now, I’m in reasonably good health and sound mind and can live alone and pretty independently. But, at 73 years old and with a family history of heart/dementia/Alzheimer’s issues, I can’t realistically expect that to continue for too many more years. It is inevitable that I’ll eventually need the increasing help/support of my kids… but jobs and family will never allow any of them to come and settle in rural East Texas, so I need to go to them. And, as It happens, there’s a perfect place available, right next door to my loving daughter and her family, that will allow me all the independence I still want/need now… but without the burden of owning/maintaining a place that’s gotten to be too much for me to handle alone. So NOW seems the perfect time to make the move and “down-size”… and not leave the burden of dealing with this place, and a lifetime’s accumulation of “junk”, after I’m gone. I’ll hopefully be completely moved by early October.

Thankfully, I’ve been fortunate enough to be in a position to “play” more than I “work” in my retirement… but, right now, I’m fighting what seems a losing battle, trying to “organize” [some of] my junk in preparation for my upcoming move/life-change. This is WORK! I do just a little at a time — until I’m sweating profusely and my heart is pounding and I’m huffing/puffing heavily — and then have to go sit down. What a mess!

Normally, messing with my machines is PLAY… doing to them what I want, when I want to do it. But, with time running short and needing to minimize the “bulk”, I’ve dismantled two of my earlier needle-cutting machines (a 4’x3′ MPCNC and a BuildYourCNC-inspired machine) so that I can pack the hardware and electrics. I can’t stand the thought of just trashing them…

20190811_115746

20190811_134135

20190814_071114

20190814_080330

20190814_081543

20190814_195551

20190814_195917

So, that’s the latest with me… more WORK at the moment than PLAY. I am still online during my rest breaks, however, and keeping up with the several forums in which I participate, so I’ll chime in if/when the spirit moves.

Later.

— David

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is kinda of exciting right?! I am not a fan of moving but getting to be closer to family (but you have a locked door between each other) is awesome.

I swear it sounds like you are saying you will need a new version to build when you get there?

dkj4linux
    Participant

That is kinda of exciting right?! I am not a fan of moving but getting to be closer to family (but you have a locked door between each other) is awesome.

I swear it sounds like you are saying you will need a new version to build when you get there?

It is exciting for sure, Ryan… but scary — and almost overwhelming — as well. Being near my daughter and grandkids again is certainly something I look forward to. But the thought of leaving my grandparent’s old homeplace and culling a lifetime’s accumulation of stuff/junk is a daunting task. It needs to be done, no doubt… and it’s better that I do it now, while I can, rather than leaving it to my kids to have to do after I’m gone.

Just easing along this morning, watching FedEx cup playoffs, I dismantled yet another machine (originally my CamSlider turned Phlatpinter-inspired needle cutter)… which indeed once carried a needle-cutter to cut my first 3-sheet DTFB vacuum pad…

20190818_104933

20190818_104912

20190818_104904

20190818_110422

20190818_111707

— David

dkj4linux
    Participant

And, another bites the dust… an MPCNC-inspired CoreXY laser engraver. I did a number of nice, accurate, engraved rulers with this one… and cut up tons of craft sticks

20190818_121618

20190818_121927

20190818_121942

20190818_132048

20190818_134039

— David

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Oh man. I’m right with you there. Those machines are full of heart. Thanks for posting these pictures. It’s a bittersweet record of these things. I have my first mpcnc in a similar situation, with the parts on shelves for me to look at, but even the tubes are still intact somewhere.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have most of my old gantry’s in a box, a little piece of each.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

I have the beta center assemblies hanging on the wall in my barn.  All of the lowrider v1 parts are in a bucket out there too.

dkj4linux
    Participant

Thanks, guys! Glad to know that I’m not the only one out there who can’t stand to unceremoniously trash a build I’ve poured considerable thought and energy into. Never quite thought of it as “full of heart”… but it really is, isn’t it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.