Lowrider Firmware vs MPCNC?

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Lowrider Firmware vs MPCNC?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Greg 4 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Greg
    Participant

Hi, I see there is another firmware thread but I’m trying not to hijack it..

I am having a go at putting dual Y endstops on my lowrider and it’s working really well.

However, I started from the MPCNC Rambo dual endstop firmware and I notice the Z acceleration seems like way more than my lowrider can handle. If the carriage is all the way over to the side near the motor it skips steps trying to lift it unless I turn down the accel (yes the carriage isn’t binding and falls freely when the steppers release).

So I’m wondering.. are there differences between the MPCNC firmware on github and what ships with the Lowrider MiniRambo? It’s horribly slow to recompile Marlin 2.0 for some reason so trial and error is taking  a long time.

Greg

BT
    Participant

For speeding up the compile, check the settings on your anti-virus software.  McAfee bogs my machine down immensely when compiling and I end up having to temporarily turn off the real-time predictive scanning.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

So I’m wondering.. are there differences between the MPCNC firmware on github and what ships with the Lowrider MiniRambo?

No, If you bought recently that is the same, it only changes as I update.

Donald Myers
    Participant

At this time the series Rambo 1.4 is sold out. Very new to this but excited to get started this may be an ignorant question but wanting to learn. So the Dual Firmware board version has firmware for end stops and can also be used as a series version board also? Sorry in the early stage of researching this subject.

Will the Rambo 1.4 be available soon. Thanks

Greg
    Participant

As configured, the mini rambo has one extra stepper driver so you can configure it to run the Z axis or the Y axis separately if you want.   The full rambo has 5 drivers so you can do X, two Ys, and two Z’s if you want although I’m thinking I just need the Y because I can shim the Z to be level with my surface and make some gcode to release the steppers and drop the gantry to the bottom to align the Z steppers.

I got my firmware to start compiling faster by installing platformIO and using that to build it instead of arduino. That along with a couple other tweaks like setting the build directory to a temp folder on my SSD drive and omitting the folder from virus checking like BT reccomended got my times down from 5 minutes to 15 seconds.

Still not sure why my Z stepper needs such low acceleration compared to before. Maybe I have a loose wire or something.  At least it will be easier to debug now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Boards are in house but shipping is really far behind so I am adding them in batches everyday as I catch up to try to avoid the  “where the hell is my stuff” emails.

Greg
    Participant

I did some more fiddling and I am pretty sure the acceleration is set incorrectly for the low rider in the firmware… it’s the same as the other axes and should be much lower like 25.   Most people don’t have a problem because the firmware was modified to reduce the feedrate when jogging with the control panel but if you use something like CNC.js to jog it will use a much faster feedrate, possibly causing problems if all the weight of the carriage is on one screw.  I made a fork here with that change, carried over some of the newer  2.0 bugfix updates, and also changed the pins file for the mini rambo to enable dual Y endstops.  Consider it beta but if anyone wants to play with it: https://github.com/Tailslide/Marlin/tree/Lowrider_MiniRambo_T8_16T_LCD_DualEndstop

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.