Let's try this again!

New Home Forum LowRider Your Builds – LowRider Let's try this again!

This topic contains 132 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Something is wrong with that vid I can only give it one thumbs up..? Ha so so awesome.

Barry
    Participant

What’s really funny, is what it would be cutting if it had a smaller end mill, and in quarter inch plywood, is the hole for an electrical box cutting template. I cut it at the right height off the bottom of a piece of plywood so that when we’re running network cable somewhere I can use a rotozip to cut the holes for the low voltage boxes and face plates. Problem is I forgot I needed to import it in pixels, not millimeters, so it waaaay too small, but it was just a test anyway, also showed me I had the x backwards so the first time it crashed into the side.

Barry
    Participant

Jeffeb3
    Participant

@Barry, you have so much space… Great progress. I am still a weekend away from “finishing” at least.

Barry
    Participant

WOOT!

Then one axis quit for some reason…. It’s okay though. It wasn’t cutting all the way through.

Barry
    Participant

Added some T-nuts to the table. Spaced a foot apart except where internal structure is in the way. Posted some photos to the gallery.

Barry
    Participant

Okay, I have a problem. For the 3rd time now I’m getting disconnects. The first two times I was running from the sd card. Thought the first time I lost an axis, so I checked all the wiring and zip tied the connectors together. They were taped before. Second time it did it, still from the sd card, so I redid the gcode. Third time I’m trying from my laptop and it’s done it again. Laptop this time said it disconnected. The first two times it just started cutting random directions, this time it just stopped, still ruined the cut, since it reset my zeros. I have the ramps running off a ups, and the router and shop vac running before the ups, so they shouldn’t be inducing any funkyness to the ramps. I can run the whole code without anything running and it finishes no problem. Any ideas?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I think I need to update to the new bugfix for you. I have it running and a lot of things have been fixed finally.

Barry
    Participant

Cool!

Ryan
    Keymaster

The “set home offsets” works again. That is a big one.

Barry
    Participant

Can someone do a sanity check on my gcode? Made it about 10 minutes into the cut and the ramps rebooted.

Attachments:
    1. All-Plates.zip

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’ll run it when I get back from the post office. Mpcnc or lowrider?

Barry
    Participant

Lowrider.

Ryan
    Keymaster

running it now

Ryan
    Keymaster

so far so good with 13min to go.

Ryan
    Keymaster

All good. using the firmware from the assembly page.

Barry
    Participant

Hmm, I’ll reflash and see how it goes. Thanks!

Barry
    Participant

Reflashing didn’t help. It quit along one axis again. Just swapped it with the Z axis driver, we’ll see what that does.

Barry
    Participant

Nope, did it again. Stops moving on the Y axis. Can’t move it on Y after stopping the cut. Disconnect, reconnect, still no movement on Y. Unplug ramps and usb and it works after power up. Bad ramps?

Ryan
    Keymaster

From an lcd? Im not sure about the ramps, we can swap it out if you want to send it in.

Barry
    Participant

It does it from either lcd or over usb.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

It sounds very similar to the problem I had with my shop vac and ground loop.

Can you try to run the CNC using a 12V car battery, using the SD card to read the Gcode?
    That would exclude any possibilities of electric noise.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Oh, by the way, the drivers don’t really like that kind of bug. Mine had partially fried but were still somewhat functional. For some reason they were pumping a huge amount of current, which ended up in frying the 5V regulator of the Mega.
    One symptom of that was the screen contrast getting progressively lower and lower, until I ended up with the magic expensive smoke.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The drivers have the ability to error out. It sounds like something isn’t good with that driver, but you swapped it. Is it hot? I would think if it was over the set current limit, it would just skip steps.

Maybe it’s a motor? Are they hot?

I agree that it could be something wrong with 12V power. You can always blame power.

Do you have another mega or ramps you can put in there? I guess I’m leaning away from the Arduino though.

Also, does it fail without the bit, with the router and shop vac off?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Just read this again.

Disconnect, reconnect, still no movement on Y. Unplug ramps and usb and it works after power up. Bad ramps?

Probably not a motor then.

You are also power cycling the drivers when you disconnect the ramps.

Does Marlin reset on a reconnect USB? Maybe try a reset without unplugging the ramps. If that fixed it, then it could be software.

The other check would be disabling the motors through Marlin, and then pulling the driver to reset the driver. Sure sounds like the driver is getting into a bad state.

Barry
    Participant

I’m running the ramps stack off a ups, the vac and router aren’t on the ups. I do have another set, it’s on my mpcnc, I could swap them and see if that fixes the issue.

Bill
    Participant

Sounds to me like it’s an end stop problem. The RAMPS is triggering the end stop spuriously. I’d look really close at the soldering job for the Y end stop.

Barry
    Participant

Just swapped out the ramps, moved the drivers over from the other lowrider ramps. Get the same problem. With this gcode, I’m drilling all the holes and slots first, then the smaller panels, then the larger panels. This time it made it to the first small panel, then stopped moving along the Y axis again. I’ve made it past them in the past, but the first time it started cutting only along the X about half way through the first diagonal cut for the first side piece. The next 2 times it’s made it to the big square frame, then this time the smaller panel. The only thing left is the arduino. That’s what I’ll swap now.

Barry
    Participant

Whoops, killed my old arduino…. Won’t power up. Ah, well, I’ll be about 5 miles from Microcenter tomorrow.

Holy shit! They’re TEN whole dollars at Microcenter! I’m going to go broke! 😀 Think I’ll get a couple, just in case. I stuck my meter on the bad one and am only getting 1.5-ish volts on the 3.3 and 5vdc pins on the bottom of the ramps board. On the working board I get the correct voltage, so something on the arduino board cooked off. It is a chinese clone, so who knows.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m guessing you’ll be a lot closer than 5 miles…

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.