Let's try this again!

New Home Forum LowRider Your Builds – LowRider Let's try this again!

This topic contains 132 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 133 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

26 feet it is then!

Barry
    Participant

Oops, already ordered… No worries.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I thought you were making some kind of would chuck wood joke. I had to read that 3 times.

Autox3D
    Participant

OOOHHHH that looks SWEET!!!!!

Btw, you can use a cheap k40 at 30 watts to cut 12mm acrylic. one pass at 1mm second.

I used mine to make a big 4×8 foot open builds machine last year. It will work, however I ended up laminating it to metal plate really boosted it. You can make the entire thing from acrylic, then use the router to cut the stiff plates from aluminum and then add into the machine if you dont have access to a metal cutting laser/waterjet/cnc plasma/cnc router already

Barry
    Participant

Dude! Dig the vicious stamps on the box!?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Typing!?! You have a new box of toys and you are typing….man…

Barry
    Participant

I have a new box of toys and puppies that poop on the floor the first time you look away from them. I did put together the sides, just temp since I found I don’t have the small metric screws for the steppers. Was rolling it back and forth over my kitchen counter edge. Gave me an idea for temp belt attach points. Quick grip style clamps with belt attach points. Still need to order pipes, but the funds for that are a few weeks out now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You’ve got puppies and a new box of toys…man life’s good!

Take your time, don’t let the puppies chew on your wheels, no more red ones left!

Barry
    Participant

Stopped by Menards on the way home. Miscounted the 3x25mm screws, so I’m short 2… Got one side complete though. Also mounted the steppers in the z assembly.

Ryan
    Keymaster

So far so good? Have I made any obvious mistakes?

Kinda nervous now that you are getting close.

Barry
    Participant

None that I’ve seen yet. I’ve got all the bearings installed on all the parts except the top 4 on the carriage. I forgot to get the 1.75″ bolts from the barn and don’t want to wake up the pups. As far as I can tell, all your pics are correct.

Barry
    Participant

What do you guys think? Using those plastic stand offs you get with tv wall mounts to space out the display frame. Might remix it to be deeper, might not, not sure yet.
    https://goo.gl/photos/PwtEjY7TC3SDCg4q7
    https://goo.gl/photos/mEGuEfJYZdYddPEb7

Barry
    Participant

https://goo.gl/photos/6eiCzHQsVak7a4KZ7
    Think we can go a bit longer for the z tubes. Maybe 16 inches?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Seems pretty stable on mine, not exactly sure how high it can go though.

Barry
    Participant

Hey, quick question, what’s the dimensions flat to flat on the tube insert for the aluminum angle holders? Mine are wicked loose. I’ve got 16mm.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah they are really sloppy in there, mine kinda moves around to keep the hose in the track. That is why that part is an alpha, I think loose is better in this case but I am not sure. Keeping the hose and wires riding in it isn’t easy.

Barry
    Participant

Gotcha. Thought I imported it wrong or something.

Barry
    Participant

Okay, I’m going to try building the table with steel studs, and skin it with quarter inch hardboard. That should keep it fairly light, and the studs won’t warp, ever. If my math is right(hold onto your butts) I’m pretty sure I can build a 5 by 9 foot table with 5 10 foot studs and 5 4X8 sheets of hardboard. I’ll make the table fit onto a set of my shop notes saw horses.

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah sounds right. I got away with 4 sheets.

I chose to put the studs across the x (shorter axis with the steel rails). that way if the table sags or anything it shouldn’t matter as much. The wheels and material will/should follow the curve, If you do it the other way you might end up with a high or low spot….Hope that makes sense and my logic is sound.

Can’t wait to see what you think when yours is on the move! You can be honest if it has issues I appreciate honest feedback good or bad.

I hope to do some more cutting on mine tomorrow, maybe another printer frame and some LowRider parts for the store. Fingers crossed.

Barry
    Participant

Started the table. Put up a couple pics in the gallery.
    https://goo.gl/photos/nqPk8QyMXUqtyPaWA

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That looks pretty nice. I worked on my table a little today. What thickness are the studs, and what are you using for the skin? I think I’m going to use 3/16″ hardboard from home depot, which is about $15/sheet. I should have enough room for some 3/4 spoil to screw down the workpieces. I don’t know how else I’m going to clamp anything down.

Barry
    Participant

They’re 2 1/2″ studs. Going to skin it with 1/4″ hardboard from Menards. All the stuff at my local Lowe’s was crap. Cracks, missing corners, huge dents in the sides. Still deciding if I want to glue and screw the hardboard down. Hopefully it will be warmer tomorrow. Woke up to snow on the ground this morning!

Barry
    Participant

Table box is done. Note to self. Don’t ever use steel studs for framing every again! Not sure how well this is going to work.

Barry
    Participant

IT MOVES!!!!!

Ryan
    Keymaster

YES!! I love it

Barry
    Participant

Still need to get the router and tidy up the wires. If it was cutting, it would be cutting parts for that spherical greenhouse, probably waaay too fast. I think I set estlcam to run at 300 mm/s, but that still looked too slow for a demo, so I had it running at 200%.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh yeah!!!!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Isn’t it just amazing that Ryan can send you the coordinates of some triangles, and this Beast gets created, created almost exactly the way it was created by Ryan? Reminds me of theovie “Contact”…

That is just freaking sweet. Congrats!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m not sure I could ever put into words the feeling I get when I see another one of the machines. So awesome, never ever gets old.

Everytime, I swear, I think “that looks just like my design” for just a split second, and then instantly I look for any mistakes. Every single time I see a build or make or whatever I can’t help but smile. Thanks guys!

Barry
    Participant

Woo!!
    Still need a spoil board, and some aluminum channel. Maybe another vac hose so I don’t have to remove the one on my other cnc…

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.