Let's try this again!

New Home Forum LowRider Your Builds – LowRider Let's try this again!

This topic contains 132 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 133 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

There’s a wiki? I didn’t see that info anywhere! Ha Ha.

There’s an information theory lesson in here somewhere. I just have to find it.

I can see the benefit of having a picture, and step by step instructions, and a FAQ section being useful, but having three places with the instructions is just more maintenance.

No matter what you do though, people will always ask questions, if they have the patience to wait for an answer, and don’t have the time (or willingness) to read the docs that are prepared.

It, of course, sucks for you unless your goal in life is great customer service.

Barry
    Participant

We get the same thing over at XDA Devs. The information that is needed is usually in the first post, but the question gets asked at least every 20 posts or so. A lot of times, it gets answered, but sometimes you’ll see a “read the OP” reply, then 5 or 6 posts about XDA not being “noob friendly”.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I used to be pretty die hard XDA. Then it became a case of diminishing returns, the time vs the bugs. I needed something that always worked, I lost the free time to set everything up all the time.

I think here it to me/us it is the same question getting asked all the time, they just don’t know what to call it so it gets asked a lot. When we get them sorted out is is just the same ol’ issues, usually just missing some nuance in the instructions. Luckily here no matter how irritated I get by have to milk out all the details, usually we get them working and they are very appreciative. It’s the ones that get an attitude, and bought all sorts of random parts and expect us all to dedicate a ton of time helping with non standard things.

Don’t get me wrong I love non standard ideas, it is just better for the more experienced to try and push the envelope. You would not believe how many emails I get telling me I should fill the tubes with something to improve rigidity.

chris893
    Participant

As mentioned above, stickies that get closed are usually great sources of info and put people in a position to ask a more informed question. They are better if useful content gets added to them (keeping them current) that is first approved by the admin or moderators.

I think redirecting everyone to the sites assembly page and then the forum is the way to go and if a specific thread can be referenced, even better.

Also, some sort of troubleshooting guide either on the main site or here that gives possible scenarios or different names for the same problem may help.

Just my $.02

Ryan
    Keymaster

If questions get asked often in the same way in the forums I put them in the FAQ’s, if it is about assembly I try and update the instructions. examples would be square gantry issues were handled with an instruction update, and endstops, tolerances, shipping ect, are in the faq’s, then things like size questions got there own page, linked in multiple places.

It is extremely difficult to just keep adding pages. We update things all the time. The more pages the more links I have to keep track of. Just this morning an instruction manual from a year and half ago was linked in the forums..I have no idea how or where it was found.

I feel forum stickies are not the solution because if I was providing all the right information the forums would not even be necessary.

chris893
    Participant

I had never seen the FAQ before searching it just now. There is a lot of good stuff under the information tab. I always went to the instructions first then the forum for info if I couldn’t get what I needed from the instructions. I never really noticed the information tab until now.

By the way, thanks for putting so much work into this. I’m a happy owner of a mpcnc and I’m looking forward to both a lowrider and a mp3dp. I’ll post a build thread once my parts are finished printing. Good timing too as I was just about to attempt a 4×8 plus sized mpcnc. Glad I have another option now

Ryan
    Keymaster

I figured I should move the FAQ to the main menu. I think that just solidified it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I just put the standoffs on thingiverse. you will need 12 small ones and 4 big ones.
    You can print these with very minimal infill, like 10%.

Barry
    Participant

Z Lead nut holders printed!

Next part could lead to tears…

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Right after I put them up I realized the logo was sideways on the standoffs, so I switched them but didn’t rev the part, nothing else changed just cosmetic. in case yours is the first version.

Barry
    Participant

I just downloaded them about a half hour ago, I think I got the new version. One of the points point do the end with a hole? I’m actually printing the 4 big ones right now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

yup that’s the newer ones.

Barry
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

Almost all the parts are up now, 1 left and it’s mirror. Which I will do in a few minutes, and 1 more dxf.

I still need to edit the lcd case and the ramps case. I am sure some people will not like my choice for these but I can only do so much and they are easily swapped for anything else.

I need to catch up on the assembly drawings, and get the bom and stuff up. I think I am going to take a half day today but we will see how far I get after the days orders.

helifriz
    Participant

Yeah awesome.. Let us know when you have a hardware bundle, and I will order it ASAP.

Barry
    Participant

chris893
    Participant

Looking good! What type of wood is that?

Barry
    Participant

The crappy birch plywood they sell at Lowes. Only 2 batches of parts left to print! Have the mirrored YZ roller printing now, then the cone shaped skate wheel thingy after that.

Ryan
    Keymaster

That cone thing is my least favorite part, I want to make something different.

Barry
    Participant

Woot Woot!!
    https://goo.gl/photos/nqPk8QyMXUqtyPaWA

Went to the hardware store and picked up longer bolts. I’ve not found 1.75″ bolts anywhere, so I just got 2″. If they’re too long, well that’s why they invented cutoff wheels!

Ryan
    Keymaster

2″ should be fine. I figured everyone would use different thickness plates so I tried to be mindful of long bolts.

chris893
    Participant

Barry checkout boltdepot.com for the less common stuff.

Your build is looking good!

Barry
    Participant

Woot! Parts ordered!! Ryan, we need to be able to order longer bits of belt from the store!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Awesome… Your timing is pretty good. The wiring harnesses should be here monday. I’ll send you one so you might not ship until tuesday. As for the belts, order what you need and I cut it in one length. But i will put up a LowRider option as well. Thanks!

Barry
    Participant

About how much would I need to be able to cut a full sheet of plywood?

Ryan
    Keymaster

3 miles

Barry
    Participant

Hahahahaahhahahaha

Ryan
    Keymaster

HAHAHA, sorry, I’m looking.

I updated my cost BOM but Not the parts list, my bad.

I have 8 meters written down. Let me double check

Ryan
    Keymaster

That sounds about right 5 feet wide 9 feet long times 2=23 feet plus some extra

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’ll throw it in don’t worry,

Well maybe worry I tend to forget things…but I have made a note.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.