Let's try this again!

New Home Forum LowRider Your Builds – LowRider Let's try this again!

This topic contains 132 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 133 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

Got the beginning of the Lowrider started! CNC’d the platform out of quarter inch plywood, and bolted the plastic parts on. Need to get more bearings, I only have two left though…
    https://goo.gl/photos/nqPk8QyMXUqtyPaWA

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is how thick I have my cut piece as well. It might be nice to be a little thicker, you’ll have to let me know what you think.

The whole center section was kinda built to just be temporary but it seems to work fine so I’ll leave it as is for V1.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You might want to order that 1/8″ collet for the 611. It took a few weeks for it to even ship, but it is totally worth it.

Barry
    Participant

Good to know! Thanks!

Barry
    Participant

Wonder if a piece of quarter or 3/8th acrylic would work?

Ryan
    Keymaster

3/8 would be perfect and just sink the screw heads…

Peter Grace
    Participant

Is the design available somewhere now and I’m just being dense, or is Barry doing a private alpha test?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Peter Grace
    Participant

awww yiss

Peter Grace
    Participant

Let me know how I can help. At the moment I’m looking at that mounting plate and trying to figure out how I’ll mount my kress spindle to it. That’s a problem I have time to solve, however!

Awesome work!

Barry
    Participant

@peter
    Something like this would probably work.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1611593

Needs screw mount holes, and some way to attach a vac hose, but it’s a start.

Barry
    Participant

Got the YZ mounts printed. Going to have to pick up some filament!

Barry
    Participant

Hey Ryan, just to make sure I have this right. We need the following for the Z;

2X YZ mounts
    2X corner x
    2X corner xm
    2X corner z
    2X corner zm
    4X full spacer

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, 99% sure that’s right. I have the table belt mount holder things ready to put up.

I’m using my ramps case on this as well, but I think I want to modify it so the lvd wires can come out of the side so people don;t have to buy an lcd extender kit. So if you have long lcd wires you might as well print one of those. If not give me some time to put up a modified version.

I had plans of mounting all the electronics between the plates, but I really like being able to easily get at the ramps and move the screen around.

The biggest hold up right now is the lcd mount. I use my lcd case but it needs a holster and that holster will need mounting holes in the side plate. After I get out today’s orders I’ll slam a redbull and see if I can finish this thing off.

Barry
    Participant

Barry
    Participant

And the belt holders are done! Going to have to start ordering hardware soon!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Either your printers are fast or I am releasing things too slow….
    Alright I will get some more up after I get something to eat. Lots of printing on the side parts…

Barry
    Participant

Printer is probably fast. Printing .3mm layers at 50mm/s. 4 perimeters, 50% infill.

Ryan
    Keymaster

putting up the hose supports right now. Figured out what I am going to do for the electronics so I can finalize the sides now.

Barry
    Participant

Hmm, wonder who that 1 download so far is?? 🙂

Also, 2 of these right?

Ryan
    Keymaster

HAHA, I’ll get you with a very large set of parts soon…..

yes 2, I use 1.5″ aluminum angle with these in case you want to go grab some.

Barry
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

dang, that is fast. No wonder you are keeping up with me…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

@Barry, it’s not a competition, because I would lose ?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Ha, just realized all my X parts are labeled Y….Dang it. If they get revised I’ll rename them, other than that I’ll leave the goof…too much work to change it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

AAAAAnnnndddd I wasn’t paying attention and I have some M3X20 and Some M3X25 screws in the assembly. Could have easily made them all the same. It’s the little things that make me less than a pro.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You are as pro as anyone. You should be making these kinds of mistakes during creation, and they should be caught in peer review. You can’t be generating and editing at the same time.

While you’re at it, there is a 6/32 labelled 6/23 I’m the z assembly.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry for taking so long guys.

The freaking emails are just insane lately, I’ve been at it for 4 hours straight and they just keep coming. By the time I get done with emails and shipping I’m pretty burnt out. I have to start treating them differently I guess. FB, G+, PM’s, Emails, Forums, it’s too much. I have to be a little more upfront with the new guys I think. I can’t trouble shoot in all forms of social media. The FB group is the worst, the same questions over and over, The worst part is some peoples answers they are just so horribly wrong I feel I have to monitor it closely.

Unless you guys have another suggestion I think I will just stick mainly to the forums and any other new getting started questions I will just send a cut and paste response to please use the forum and answer the sticky?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It all comes down to solving problems in the public, and making it easier to find the existing solution than asking it again. Good forums heavily use the search and stickies, but I’ve never liked them as much as a good front-to-back explanation. Some things that help forums are getting good guides stickied, and then close the topic, so people don’t add bad information to them.

What about a wiki? You can choose to moderate it all yourself, but that can be a lot of work, but letting the community edit it could produce some pretty nice documentation. Different perspectives can lead to better explanations. I don’t know how easy it is for you to generate the “info” pages you have, maybe that’s just better than a wiki? I hope I’m not just suggesting a ton more work, but really a good wiki could be the “manual” and “normal troubleshooting” with the forums being the “development” and “edge case troubleshooting” and “Check this out”.

If you do make something cookie cutter, to respond to people, the one piece of advice I’d give you is, think about where they are coming from. They may not have searched, or they may have been searching for hours, give them the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to find the right info, but they just didn’t get the right link. Since it’s cookie cutter, you only have to do the massaging once…

w.r.t. time management, you could sort of try to think of it as percentages. If troubleshooting is taking 50% of your time/energy, that’s probably not the right allocation. But 0% isn’t right either. I haven’t visited the FB group (I dislike FB a lot), but maybe cut yourself to an hour or less, and answer the interesting questions, and quickly send the rest to your existing documentation. You don’t want to cut off FB altogether if it’s generating business.

I’m still printing though, I haven’t made any CNC cuts yet, and I’m still on the corners/spacers. I bought my steel and aluminum angle though. I just got my router from amazon yesterday too. I’m committed!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have the wiki, no one has added anything. As far as I know it is open.

Documentation is hard every person likes it differently. I had all the information only listed once, as in it was on one short page. I tried to break everything up. Now I am listing as much info on each page but in my opinion it makes it so much worse. Every page is getting much larger with more links, but I still get the “I didn’t see that info anywhere” response. All the info is usually in at least 3 places. It is getting to the point that some pages are so dense no one bothers to look at them.

If you see the early pages I had a “are your steppers spinning the wrong way” page. It had one picture and a sentence, “flip this plug over” I preferred that. Now I have to put that on every page that mentions the steppers. And I still get emails and forums questions about it.

But yes, a time allocation is due. and the canned response of “please post this in the trouble shooting forum and answer these questions”.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.