Left side of machine

This topic contains 30 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  J Smith 1 year ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Kelly D
    Participant

Could I trouble someone to either take a photo of the side rail where the stepper motor is from the top down, or tell me if I were to make a decorative change to the shape of the XZ frame up at the top corner there (see arrow) would I run the risk of interference with the stepper if the Z axis reaches all the way to the top there?MP3DP_SideRail

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

The ZX piece does not go any higher than the bottom of the top corner bracket.

Kelly D
    Participant

Just to be sure….here?MP3DP_SideRail2

…and now the cat’s outta the bag officially ; ) I got my shipping notice this morning. Looking foreword to another box full of fun from you Ryan!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I took a pic of mine, but it’s got my custom cable mgmt on it. So I can’t go up that high anyway.

If it helps, the stepper is about 5mm to the left of the frame and it’s about 5mm below the top of the ZX part. It looks like the ZX part is also about 5mm in front of the frame. The screw on the bottom of the top corner bracket looks like it’s going to miss and the ZX part will top out when the smooth rod is all used up.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Yeah, that pic is pretty useless 🙂

Kelly D
    Participant

I’ve just seen enough mentions by Ryan about “you have a CNC machine – have fun with it” or something to that effect as far as cutting the flat parts for the MP3DP. I don’t want to disappoint. Haha. But it doesn’t matter how pretty it looks if the axis can’t go their full distance. (How do you pluralize axis as in “axe-ease”…..is it still ‘axis’ or should it be ‘axes’?)

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I think it’s axes. And I don’t care a bit about Z. I’ve never printed over half my total height…

But I do hope you go a little nuts on the design. There’s no reason it has to be symmetrical. So if you were thinking a ling kong theme, just make him climb the other side 🙂

Kelly D
    Participant

I think it’s axes. And I don’t care a bit about Z. I’ve never printed over half my total height…

But I do hope you go a little nuts on the design. There’s no reason it has to be symmetrical. So if you were thinking a ling kong theme, just make him climb the other side ?

Okay….killer idea you got there…….I won’t steal it….but you better claim the rights. Remember that mountain climber hiker game on the Price is Right? That could be done too….but I won’t. Oh man – so many ideas flowing now! hahahahahaha

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You can use the idea, but I get 10% of your prints. I already have my theme all settled:

I happen to be sitting here tuning my other printer while my kids sleep. 🙂 Living the Dream.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Now I am excited to see what you have up your sleeve. I like custom!

Kelly D
    Participant

It looks like the 3d printed bits are set for a specific width of material – is that the 3/8″ material as stated in the info online here? Trying to get an idea of how much material I can cut away without the whole unit getting floppy on me.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The frame components were designed for 3/8″ material, the bed support is still good for 1/4″ (the lighter the better for the bed). All the parts can safely go above a little thicker than 1/2″ and as thin as you want for those of you with access to high tech materials. Material thickness will determine some screw lengths

Kelly D
    Participant

You think with 3/8″ MDF I can safely “air it out” this much?

Attachments:
    1. Y_Frame_mmKD.pdf

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, if you use the Heffe plate.

Kelly D
    Participant

Heffe plate?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Optional bottom

Kelly D
    Participant

Ah. Gotcha. Yes. Was definitely in the plans. Thanks! Going to pick up the MDF today.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I think I’m the only one not using the Heffe plate :). I have plans to make a nice electronics enclosure in the bottom, and the top would be that plate, but… busy. Oh irony.

Kelly D
    Participant

I saw somewhere – I think on Thingiverse an LED square rim light mount. I assume this pulls power off the board somewhere? If I were to want to add LED lighting to my printer where might I pull power? Same place as the print head ring light on Thingiverse?

I’ve ordered the mini Rambo.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The extruder has a fan that’s constantly on. It’s powered by 12V. So if you can use 12V, it’s already there at the extruder. IIRC the ring LED was going at an automotive store, and was 12V. It sure would help, I’m frequently squinting at mine, sometimes pulling out the phone light to see better 🙂

Kelly D
    Participant

I’d be looking for power at the top of the unit (where your mountain tops are) and at the bottom under the bed. But now that you’ve mentioned it I bet there’s good value in having light right at the print head too.

I’ll find out what voltages I’ll need.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

12VDC is very common. Many of the LED offerings, even at home depot at 12V power supplies and LEDs. The power supply for the printer is 12VDC and it should have plenty of extra power for some LEDs.

Kelly D
    Participant

Okay, I had to opt for ply because our local HD didn’t have 3/8 MDF but that’s okay. Before I start the MPCNC though I want to confirm – I imported all of the files in MM (into Illustrator and then into Estlcam) so is all good to go if my Estlcam grid check says the front and back base pieces are about 25cm in length?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes

J Smith
    Participant

Okay, I had to opt for ply because our local HD didn’t have 3/8 MDF but that’s okay. Before I start the MPCNC though I want to confirm – I imported all of the files in MM (into Illustrator and then into Estlcam) so is all good to go if my Estlcam grid check says the front and back base pieces are about 25cm in length?

Which HD did you go to, the one in Sherwood Park? Isn’t this what you were looking for?
    https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.38-x-49-x-97-carb-ii–e1-pb.1000172050.html

50 In Stock at SHERWOOD PARK Aisle 19, Bay 022

Kelly D
    Participant

No – that stuff is pretty weak inside. I was looking for the more solid MDF but didn’t see it there. But yes – the Sherwood Park HD. Man those guys have a lot of my money. Hahaha

J Smith
    Participant

You can use the idea, but I get 10% of your prints. I already have my theme all settled:

I happen to be sitting here tuning my other printer while my kids sleep. ? Living the Dream.

I like your LCD case, is it on Thingiverse? I don’t remember seeing it.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I like your LCD case, is it on Thingiverse? I don’t remember seeing it.

It is lost to the ages. There was another LCD mount, for the 3-line lcd That had this bottom piece, the interconnecting parts and I tinkercadded (or something) that with another LCD case to make this. Unfortunately, it was 18 months or so ago, amd I never posted the files.

I’m not doing anything, I’ll try to find them…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Oh man. You’re not going to believe how I found that… You need some parts from here:

https://pinshape.com/items/24766-3d-printed-pivot-lcd-case-for-smart-controller-lcd-screen

And I got the Case_Back.stl from here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1259148/files

And I modified the Case_Front (attached).

Apparently, I used sketchup ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jeffeb3
    Participant

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3172532

Now I can print one in Black/Red! The gray/pink was from my original MPCNC.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.