Lasers and Stuff

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Lasers and Stuff

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Walling 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

David Walling
    Participant

Trying to get the router on/off the MPCNC has not proved to be fun for me. I’ve been wanting to try out a laser, but kept shying away from ordering one mostly because of that.

Banggood has one of their laser engravers on sale for a price point I finally felt the need to jump on.

Just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to show up now. I’m not sure I like their software, so there’s a good chance I’ll be replacing their board with a better one so I can cut using a SD card or possibly an octoprint setup (if possible).

Karel
    Participant

I also did not like getting the router of my Z Axis. Therefor I have just build another Z-Axis with a laser on it. To swap, I swap the full access.

I actually swap controllers too. For CNC I have a mini Rambo controller and for the Laser I use a Arduino with a CNC shield running GBRL.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Karel.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

David Walling
    Participant

That’s pretty slick. I have a set of the 4 pin aircraft connectors, but haven’t installed them on anything.

The laser is a fixed height. I’m thinking I can build a cabinet to house both the laser and my 3d printer.

David Walling
    Participant

This thing has turned into a bit of a rabbit hole.

The new device is up and running. It’s working quite well, surprisingly.

The one thing I’ve done is flashed the stock firmware with the latest GRBL. I’ve since played with both LightBurn and LaserGRBL software. LaserGRBL is nice, but I find it’s support for svg isn’t all that good.

LightBurn can import SVG files much better.

Right now, I’m working on using the laser to etch some PCB boards for another project I’m working on. I’m using Eagle to design the board. Once designed, I’m exporting the gerber file. Then I use gerbv to open the gerber and convert it to a SVG.

LightBurn does a great job of importing the SVG, but all you get are the base line paths. I use the built-in ‘offset’ function to expand the paths to outlines and have it remove the original. So far this has been working really well for creating the paths. My next step is to spray paint some pcb boards and try to burn the paint off.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.