Laser Trouble shooting

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Laser Trouble shooting

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Erwin Vigilia 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Bryan
    Participant

I am running a 15 W laser from ebay with Lightburn software.  Trying to cut through 6mm birch plywood.  I am able to cut test circle, d=20mm, no problem.  Hold the laser at constant height an do 24 passes @ 400mm/min.   When I try to cut out bigger shapes, ie Moose head mount, with the exact same settings it does not get through the wood.  I even run the same cut again over the original cut for 24 passes and drop the laser 2mm, still does not work.  Laser is focused, everything is working great.  It almost seems that there is a buildup of burnt wood that the laser cannot get through. Any suggestions would help.  I have tried using multiple passes and dropping the laser 0.25mm per pass, I seem to get better results if I hold the laser at constant height with multiple passes.  Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

Barry
    Participant

You probably need some air assist going.  Something like a ball inflation needle with the tip cut off.  You don’t need crazy pressure, just a steady flow of air.

Bryan
    Participant

I do have a centrifugal fan blowing air on the cut.  May have to increase the flow.

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

I do have a centrifugal fan blowing air on the cut. May have to increase the flow.

Close but not quite Barry’s suggestion – the needle inflator will direct a stream or jet of air to blast particulates out of the laser’s way if, indeed, the leftover ash is causing the problem. But you’d need to hose in some compressed air, not as convenient as a fan.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.