Laser engraving – not really getting great results

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Laser engraving – not really getting great results

This topic contains 295 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Jamie 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 271 through 296 (of 296 total)
  • Author

Kelly D
    Participant

I was only ever using the gcode files that were posted in this thread so as to eliminate variables. I’m not sure what resolution they were set up at off hand. Are you using those files?

IamSandX
    Participant

I did use the gcode files that David posted, and they were fine. I was just experimenting with the settings others were using.

Victor
    Participant

Hi, Kelly D

I had the same problems with a piece plywood. On the same sheet, but on different places the results were very different. Now I get the best results on hardwood and cardboard. And on cardboard I can get an interesting effect if I engrave with smaller laser power. The surface becomes lighter 🙂

Sean
    Participant

Just wanted to Thank everyone for this post! I was wracking my brain trying to figure it out, I am so thankful for the work you guys put in on this!

Mark Ostrom
    Participant

TEN PAGES of posts is a LOT to weed through if you an ignorant s[l]ob like me… Can I simply ask what the final summary was? I’m going to try to use my Rambo with Marlin v2.0…Dual Endstop version FW with an Endurance 10W+ Laser… did you guys ever figure out the Marlin changes, and can anyone summarize them in idiot format? (simple, no acronyms or abbreviations) Has anyone compiled the code and offered it for sale?

I’m really quite ADHD so I’m as lost as hell but happily hard headed enough not to quit! I’ve been lurking on these pages for a couple of days now… still in the dark.

—Thanks in advance. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kelly D
    Participant

Hahaha….you know, when I first came to V1 I remember seeing two threads. Jeffe’s MP3DP build thread and Dui’s Made in China thread. They had multiple pages and I was like “Wow, these cat’s must be super active…I hope I get a long thread going one day.”

And now I feel bad for the pain you are experiencing because I too felt it trying to make my way through those other two threads. I got my setup to the point where I finally had a hallelujah (post #88402) and then my life got crazy busy (went out of town for a ten day carve). Thing is, when I left the whole crew kept at it, digging deeper and deeper into stuff I can only nod my head over and pretend like I’m still in the conversation.

Check post #88406 for the answer and then refer back to post #88349/50 and #88353

Remember, this is on the miniRambo without dual endstops so your setup may yet need to be different. I don’t know. I assumed all things would be the same but just 20 minutes ago discovered that with dual endstops set up there is no moving of axis in the negative direction with the LCD controls (I was so scared I messed something up in the wiring!). I don’t know if that’s a RAMBO thing or an endstop thing.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Aaryn
    Participant

Sorry Mark.  I thought the link to this bug fix was more clear.  Give me a minute. I’ll see what I can do to make this easier.

Aaryn
    Participant

Okay, here it is as simple as I can make it.  If you want to apply this bug fix to a working copy of Marlin 2.0 firmware use the attached zip file.  in other words you will need to have downloaded one of Ryan’s copies of the correct firmware for your control board.

extract the marlin.cpp file from this zip file and use it to replace the marlin.cpp in you copy.  this file will be located in the following location.

RootFolderwithBoardName/Marlin/Src/Marlin.cpp

compile and upload like normal.

Attachments:
    1. Marlin.zip
    2 users thanked author for this post.

Mark Ostrom
    Participant

Wow… Service above the call of duty, Thanks Aaryn!

I had to buy a Pololu AVR Boot loader to get the original DE firmware loaded so this should be easy. So many posts, contradicting each other or correcting each other etc.. I could not find the ‘final solution’!

I will try this tonight. Thanks again, I owe you!

Mark

Timothy
    Participant

Wow, looks like I got in here as actvity is picking back up. I went through this entire thread. I’m only at the basic assembly of the MPCNC itself so far. What got me interesed was a buddy of mine got a glowforge, than someone on the 3d printing FB group brought up the  MPCNC…went down the rabbit hole….2 days later had 4 of my FDMs printing all my parts off. I’m so stoked.

Does any of this apply at all to say the TenHIGH 40w laser? I would not think so but I have no clue whatsoever…I only know I want that laser but if its actually overkill for what I need I will gladly use something with less wattage.

Anyhow, wanted to say hi as this is my 1st post and to thank all of the contributors!

KlemenPetrovcic
    Participant

Hi. A while ago I bought this 2W diode laser, which seems to have the same diode type as the one Leo used.

I just want to confirm the steps, which I should take:

• I already have marlin v2 installed on Ramps 1.6
    • I must merge the code from the posted fix
    • I must follow Leos tutorial (remapping to pin 44)

That should, roughly, be it. Right?

Ryan
    Keymaster

You should check to make sure that is still the right pin since that is a board not designed by the ramps 1.4 designer.

Kyle
    Participant

I’d like to just confirm that I was having a similar issue and aayrns fix solved my problem too. Thanks a ton guys.  I would have never guessed something like that could cause my problems.  I soent Soo much time messing with lightburn settings trying to overcome this.

Mark Ostrom
    Participant

Hey Guys… it’s been a few months now I have one final question. After replacing Marlin.cpp and re-compiling the firmware, which of the fan ports are you using for the laser? Is it “45” as in a previous post from Ryan or Fan 2 from another post? I’m using the Rambo 1.3 board. I can always get out my meter or my oscope and test but thought I’d ask here for a simple answer. Sorry, mental lapsing is appropriate for my … um, what were we talking about? 😉 LOL

PSS SORRY THIS POSTED 3 TIMES…. couldn’t get it to respond got an error several times. Admin can delete any two he wants to.

Mark Ostrom
    Participant

Hey Guys… it’s been a few months now I have one final question. After replacing Marlin.cpp and re-compiling the firmware, which of the fan ports are you using for the laser? Is it “45” as in a previous post from Ryan or Fan 2 from another post? (see enclosed image) I’m using the Rambo 1.3 board. I can always get out my meter or my oscope and test but thought I’d ask here for a simple answer. Sorry, mental lapsing is appropriate for my … um, what were we talking about? 😉 LOL I’m trying to hook up my Endurance 10W+ laser which uses 3.5-12V for ttl.

Mark Ostrom
    Participant

Hey Guys… it’s been a few months now I have one final question. After replacing Marlin.cpp and re-compiling the firmware, which of the fan ports are you using for the laser? Is it “45” as in a previous post from Ryan or Fan 2 from another post? I’m using the Rambo 1.3 board. I can always get out my meter or my oscope and test but thought I’d ask here for a simple answer. Sorry, mental lapsing is appropriate for my … um, what were we talking about? 😉 LOL I’m trying to hook up my Endurance 10W+ laser which uses 3.5-12V for ttl.

Rick Henderson
    Participant

Sorry….made this post without realizing I was in the wrong place….

Jeremy Johnson
    Participant

Hey Guys… it’s been a few months now I have one final question. After replacing Marlin.cpp and re-compiling the firmware, which of the fan ports are you using for the laser? Is it “45” as in a previous post from Ryan or Fan 2 from another post? I’m using the Rambo 1.3 board. I can always get out my meter or my oscope and test but thought I’d ask here for a simple answer. Sorry, mental lapsing is appropriate for my … um, what were we talking about? 😉 LOL I’m trying to hook up my Endurance 10W+ laser which uses 3.5-12V for ttl.

Hey, Mark.  Did you ever get an answer to this question?  I’m also starting to setup my laser module and I’m confused like you.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

Mark Ostrom
    Participant

Jeremy…

No, guess people have moved on… I’m going to try setting it up then testing with my computer and a VOM meter to see which pins go high when I type commands into the RAMBO via my computer and Pronterface. If you get any more info share it and I will too! 🙂 It kind of looks like they had further troubles but the thread is so long I can’t follow it.

Kelly D
    Participant

Hey guys. Sorry for not chiming in sooner. I’ve been reading the posts but you’re working with a different board and laser than I am so I don’t know anything I can tell you from my setup would have any value. I hope to be in the shop tomorrow and can try to look (I’ve hard-boxed the electronics on my setup so not sure what I’m going to be able to see with ease).

Ryan
    Keymaster

Giving advice on laser is extremely difficult unless someone has the same exact one. If your board can handle 12V for the signal you can just use the fan port, this is explained on the laser page, if it needs 5v all boards have at least one available pin laid out on there setup pages. Not too many people want to make guesses as with lasers it usually results in instant wasted money if it is wrong.

Mark Ostrom
    Participant

So George Formitchev answered me that the TTL input on their 10W+ Laser can handle 3.5-24 volts with no problem, so 12v will be a breeze! 🙂 Just an FYI!

Emil Andersson
    Participant

Hi guys

I read through this thread when I installed this 5W laser https://us.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-450nm-5W-Laser-Engraving-Module-Blue-Light-With-TTL-Modulation-wp-Usa-1337358.html?akmClientCountry=SE&rmmds=myorder

I got it to work just fine with the marlin 2.0 with LCD

Now to the funny part, I’m helping a friend to install same laser and the laser it self works just fine but we have issues with the firmware. I uses LCD  “#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER” on my MPCNC .

He have a different LCD so we just changed the configuration.h back to the stock LCD as it is in the default firmware “#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER” and it goes south.

I tried either comment out lines as suggested in the thread abowe or using the reworked(what I used on my machine) “malin.ccp” by @Aaryn in post

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/laser-engraving-not-really-getting-great-results/page/10/#post-94989

The laser works but the problem is that the speed change a lot during engraving or vector cutting. With vector cutting, it’s really obvious how it goes fast when it’s cutting straight lines but slow down and struggle making arcs for example. Another really strange thing is that the content in the menu tree is different by just changing the marlin.ccp file. saving settings to EEPROM disappears for example.

We plan to find one LCD like mine and running the configuration.h set to “#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER”, just to confirm that it works fine with that configuration.

Any suggestion on something for us to try? Any other details you need from me to help out?

In addition, I had a similar issue trying the dual end stop firmware on my MPCNC (the speed changed depending on feature the vector cutting was cutting, lines or arcs) so I went back to the firmware without dual end stop and it was all good, loving the laser. My guess at the time was that the processor struggled to control X and Y with two more channels but in this case on my friends machine, we just using a different LCD.

Regards,

Emil

Ryan
    Keymaster

Try turning off junction deviation, or doubling the values. I think the equations were changed at some point.

Emil Andersson
    Participant

Try turning off junction deviation, or doubling the values. I think the equations were changed at some point.

Thanks Ryan for your reply;  We will try both methods.

Changing the value of the Junction Deviation in the Arduino code is straight forward to me, but, to turning it off, should I just comment out the “#define JUNCTION_DEVIATION” line
    or all four lines

#define JUNCTION_DEVIATION
    #if ENABLED(JUNCTION_DEVIATION)
    #define JUNCTION_DEVIATION_MM 0.005 // (mm) Distance from real junction edge
    #endif

Regards,

Emil

Jamie
    Participant

If you disable junction deviation be sure to review your jerk settings. The eeprom values might not be initialized to good values and if jerk is zero (it was for me) you will still be going very slow on the curves.

Viewing 26 posts - 271 through 296 (of 296 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.