Laser cut stuff

New Home Forum Things You Have Made Laser cut stuff

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jason Dentler 8 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Jason Dentler
    Participant

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Nice! How did you cut from the stl?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Awesome. The legs look cool from the side almost like they were cut from two angles.

dkj4linux
    Participant

One way… Tinkercad. These are flat, so import STL and export as SVG. Import into Inkscape… then use JTech laser plugin to create gcode.

Jason Dentler
    Participant

Yeah. I did essentially the same thing in fusion… Create a sketch from the plane and save as a dxf.

Jason Dentler
    Participant

Laser cut cardboard dice tower on my MPCNC

44333014_10155363556446324_5891083057087119360_o

Ryan
    Keymaster

Lasers!

Jason Dentler
    Participant

Desk organizer

IMG_20181105_065748

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jason Dentler
    Participant

Christmas gifts… Laser engraving a few of these Ikea soap dispensers.

IMG_20181217_201244

This was the spare I bought for testing the material. The real ones are centered properly.

2.8W jTech Photonics laser at 100% power, 300 mm/minute = 5mm / second

Ryan
    Keymaster

WOW, that looks like a tattoo. Maybe the way the finish burnt or something. I really like the looks of that.

Jason Dentler
    Participant

Thanks Ryan. It reminds me of Henna.

This is my first time working with bamboo. It feels like the black around the edges of the cut actually raised up a bit, and there’s a sticky residue splattered all around the engraving. I don’t know if this was finished & sealed, or if that’s just what happens with bamboo. The sticky residue washes off with a little soap, but the raised bits remain. I like it.

Barry
    Participant

Yea, that’s the acrylic burning.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I think commercial products usually use laquer to finish wood (ikea does things differently sometimes) so it might be super toxic.

Michael
    Participant

This is my first time working with bamboo. It feels like the black around the edges of the cut actually raised up a bit, and there’s a sticky residue splattered all around the engraving.

It could also be the natural sugars & starches in the bamboo caramalising from the heat of the laser.

We have bamboo flooring in our house and the company makes 4 different shades, from a natural blonde colour to a dark chestnut. They achieve this by effectively cooking or steaming the boards for different lengths of time to caramelise them. So there are no stains or dyes used, the colour is consistent all the way through & they can be sanded & refinished if needed. Lovely product.

http://www.bamboozle.com.au

Barry
    Participant

This is my first time working with bamboo. It feels like the black around the edges of the cut actually raised up a bit, and there’s a sticky residue splattered all around the engraving.

It could also be the natural sugars & starches in the bamboo caramalising from the heat of the laser.

We have bamboo flooring in our house and the company makes 4 different shades, from a natural blonde colour to a dark chestnut. They achieve this by effectively cooking or steaming the boards for different lengths of time to caramelise them. So there are no stains or dyes used, the colour is consistent all the way through & they can be sanded & refinished if needed. Lovely product.

http://www.bamboozle.com.au

We really want bamboo floors, but the price is holding us back.  Maybe after the windows, doors are replaced, and adding siding to the house, and the kitchen is replaced……….

Jason Dentler
    Participant

Cutting boards & soap dispensers were a big hit at Christmas yesterday.

Thanks for all the help getting my machine working well!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.