Keeping paint from sticking to PLA

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Keeping paint from sticking to PLA

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bill 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

David Walling
    Participant

This is kinda the opposite of what all the tutorials on the web focus on…

I recently 3d printed a paint pallet. I plan on using it with acrylic paints to teach my son how to build plastic models.

I don’t want the acrylic to stick to the pallet, so I’m trying to figure out what to use. I’m thinking I can just polish the plastic using a car wax/polish.

Any other ideas from my friends on the forum?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  David Walling.

Barry
    Participant

Print a pallet mold, then cast in silicone.  Actually, wonder if acrylic paint sticks to flex seal?

David Walling
    Participant

Oh! That’s a good idea. I have some of that in a can somewhere. I can test it on something.

Barry
    Participant

Another thing to try if that doesn’t work. “Paint” the trays with a thin layer of clear silicone caulk.  Hell, we could be overthinking this and a few layers of polyurethane would work.  🤷‍♂️

David Walling
    Participant

It looks like I could spray it with a clear acrylic varnish. Once it’s dry, it’s supposed to be super hard and impervious to other liquids.

I have a couple of things to try now. Probably won’t be until this weekend before I can get to any of them.

I’ve already printed a paint tray that I designed:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3829566

GTKplusplus
    Participant

Acrylic pretty much always sticks to acrylic. Maybe not particularly well, but it does. So just a varnish wouldn’t do. However, if you get it extremely smooth you wouldn’t even need it. But we are talking almost mirror polished (if it were metal).

I think the silicone idea is the easiest and quickest. Either casting or just covering the pallet with it.

David Walling
    Participant

The casting in silicone keeps popping up. I’ve never done this. Does someone have a good tutorial on how to turn my 3d print into silicone?

David Walling
    Participant

Oh. I guess I just need to recreate my paint pallet as a negative. Then pour the silicone over it. Instead of the silicone being a mold, it will end up being my finished part.

1 user thanked author for this post.

David Walling
    Participant

Hopefully I don’t disappoint anyone… My wife reminded me that paint pallets are 5 for $1 at the dollar store…

Maybe I’ll get around to testing something in the future.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Bill
    Participant

Tell her that the dollar store just isn’t as much FUN! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.