Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC

New Home Forum Software / Firmware Development Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC

This topic contains 322 replies, has 54 voices, and was last updated by  Victor 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 323 total)
  • Author

Didier
    Participant

Yes i have done this too on back of a mirror, it is really really nice, better with diagonal engraving !!

Thomas
    Participant

Good afternoon, Guys!

I registered this afternoon after searching (and finding) a little program to convert pictures into laser engraving pictures. Tried this program with my WinPCNC (it´s in Germany a well known controller software for cnc machines) and after a few problems and manual modifications it wor^ks! Great job, Guys! Now my question: is it possible to change the M comand structure from M0353 (f.e. for 53%) to M03 S53? The reason is, that WinPCNC cannot understand the comand M0353, but M03 S53. After exchanging all comand with the new structure, the gcode worked perfectly.

Is there any possibility or is there a pp somewhere hidden in the programcode?

Thanks for Your answer since I am not familar with software programming.

Kind regards,
    Thomas

Thomas
    Participant

I´m so sorry!!!!!

The problem was in front of the pc…

I added M03 manually into the box and did not use M03 S as will be shown, when You click it….

Once again, great work, Guys!!!

Thomas
    Participant

Hey, Guys!

Is there any possibility to get the 0.4 stable version source code?

I want to personalize it a little bit.

Thanks a lot!

Regrads,
    Thomas

Btw. First results were good!

Jason
    Participant

I seen some people talking about using it with the K40 chinese laser cutter.
    How well does this software work with the 2.8w laser?

Ryan
    Keymaster

This is a little more ready to go for the 2.8W and other diode based lasers. The k40 takes some work to use this.

Leo69
    Participant

The original author designed it for use with a 2 watt diode laser. Any diode laser in the 1 to 5 watt range should work fine.

Leo69
    Participant

I’m sorry to say that revision control went awry on this:( I’ll try to dig it up for you when I get back to my PC.

Leo69
    Participant

Looks really good.What laser are you using?

Thomas
    Participant

Thanks, Leo! For both answers.

This is a 1 watts single mod diode built as tool for my Stepcraft CNC router.

Jason
    Participant

Cool… I cannot wait to try it out when my new Mega board comes in.

Leo69
    Participant

I’m not having much luck finding the source code for the decimal patched version. The GitHub link in the very first post will get you a fairly recent version but there will be some decimal formatting bugs if you live in an area that uses commas to separate decimals.

Alvin
    Participant

for those having decimal problems, would changing your OS locale to US when using image2code solve your gcode problems?

Leo69
    Participant

That should work and the v.4 version posted a little ways back corrected the problem.

Andrew
    Participant

Hey Leo, been a min since I posted in here. Do you know if the diagonal print function works or even been set up in the latest version of Image2gcode? I still use the original version of the software because I can print diagonally, which seems to not only give me better end results but also bypasses a catch in either the stepper, rail, or bearing. I really haven’t messed to much with the laser for a while now because I wanted to build a CNC. Good to see your still working on the image2gcode code and active in this forum.

Andrew

Leo69
    Participant

@andrew Please try the version linked here https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/image2gcode-free-raster-image-laser-engraving-software-modified-for-mpcnc/page/6/#post-15455

All of the decimal formatting bugs should be fixed in this version. I wasn’t aware that diagonal wasn’t working for anyone. I use it exclusively and haven’t had any problems.

Andrew
    Participant

@Leo,

I have been running the first version of the code because I was only able to print diagonally. Later Bryan released a version that eliminated the print time by half via excluding lighter or white area of print, much like vector images. When he released this version he stated specifically that diagonal print had not yet been coded. Things got crazy busy with summer and never heard any different from him. You would have to go back to like page 2 or something of this forum to see that conversation. Thanks for getting back with me. I also saw where noname member had been getting some great results using a similar setup to mine.

Leo69
    Participant

I think I’ll get around to it one of these days but not a priority for me though.sorry

Hung
    Participant

I created file NC by Image2Gcode v1.1. after that I load by sender v1.1 but it have error and Arduino card have beep
    please watch image ….

Leo69
    Participant

The sender software you’re using was developed by Villamany for GRBL based laser engraver running on Arduino Uno board. We’ve modified that software to run on Mega2560/Marlin based hardware. You’re not providing enough information about your hardware for me to even guess what the problem is.What exactly is the error message? What firmware and hardware do you use? What command activates your laser? I recommend posting your question on the 3dpburner site for a quicker response.

Hung
    Participant

Tks Leo69!
    I use Arduino UNO with firmware GRBL(grbl_v0_9i_atmega328p_16mhz_115200)

Leo69
    Participant

If you’re running Grbl and 3dpsender then you should be using Villamanys version of the software instead of what you’re using now.

Try the version on his download page

http://3dpburner.blogspot.com/p/files.html

Hung
    Participant

ok.I loaded the GCODE file but i have a error when sending file… (G1X0G1Y177.66>error gcode ID:24)

Attachments:

Leo69
    Participant

As I mentioned before, the sender software that you’re using is not supported here.No one on this forum uses it because it is created specifically for the 3dpburner laser engraver/Grbl. The version of image2gcode that’s hosted here is modified to run on Marlin firmware and not Grbl. If you’re running Grbl then I recommend going to the 3dpburner site that I linked earlier for support.

Rand
    Participant

Leo – I am struggling to get “3dpBurner-Image2Gcode-MPCNC-Mod.zip” to work. I keep getting a full memory error. I am using a MPcnc machine with repetier/marlin software just as Ryan burns it B16-32 full firmware. I can operate three axes on my printer from repetier manual and from the screen. I cannot get any g-code file to transmit to the printer from Tinkercad / Easel / Estlcam I am doing something wrong globally because I don’t understand the concept. I have made a second machine and want to use it just for routing and with a laser. What is the easiest drawing package, g-code generator and machine operator that would work with Ryan’s firmware? Do you have time to layout a step by step test drawing to see if I can get my machine to move? My first MPCNC printer works great for 3D printing but my second one gets hung up looking for the temperature sensor and not having a hot end. I have a 100K resistor but that doesn’t seem to make a difference. What is the easiest path for me to learn? Thank you for your help
    Rand

Leo69
    Participant

Sorry but I don’t use repetier so I don’t know what causes that type of error. So you have Marlin firmware and a full graphic LCD? Have you tried copying gcode to SD card and running that way? If that works then you must have some type of communication problem between the host software and the Mega board. Maybe some repetier users will chime in and we can try to figure this out. Regardless, image2gcode is probably not the problem if you can’t run gcode from Estlcam either.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Rand, After assembly and testing this is what I consider the first step. https://www.v1engineering.com/estlcam-basics/

use estlcam to make the gcode, then use the lcd or repetier to run it on the machine.

David
    Participant

…Hey Leo,

I didn’t know if you could help me try to figure something out. I haven’t fired up the 2.8w laser in a while that I put together based on your guide. Anyways.. I’ve been messing with Image2Gcode again and for some reason my laser etchings are smearing when I do a 8 bit image. Please look at my attachment so see what I’m talking about. It’s almost as if the laser is not turning off fast enough and adds extra lines when it’s passing diagonally. Any ideas? It doesn’t happen when I use Inkscape etches but as you know Inkscape doesn’t travel across the x/y axis like Image2Gcode does. I’m trying to rule out if this is a laser/driver issue or software issue. My MPCNC prints 3d prints perfect btw……………

Attachments:

Bryan Maple
    Participant

Hey Gang,

I’ve been following this thread for a bit, and now jumping into the water. I’ve got a question that I hope someone will be able to help out on.

The starting point, origin, of when I want to print, I’m having trouble with. I have figured out where the “center” of my print area is based upon the offset of my laser on my build (X95, Y113). What I would like for it to do is to zero both X and Y, then based upon the center of my print bed, be able to move to its beginning position and be able to start printing. . I’ve created some markings on my print bed to help me center the object I want to “print” onto. I know I’m not explaining this well, hopefully you understand what I’m wanting to do and can let me know if this is even possible, and if so what I would need to do.

So – zero X and Y, then based upon the center of my print area, be able to print reasonable centered onto an object that I place in the center of that print area.

Does that make sense?

Martin DB
    Participant

David, I have a similar issue…. This is my post

Image2gcode engraving – how to improve it

Do you have solved it?

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 323 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.