Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC

New Home Forum Software / Firmware Development Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC

This topic contains 338 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by  Aaryn 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 331 through 339 (of 339 total)
  • Author

Silvio Franco
    Participant

Thanks, Aaryn. I will try this setting.

Thanks, Victor for the program. I think I need to learn more about how to use the variables.

Victor
    Participant

I will summarize the problem. The more recent versions of Marlin the code that updates the settings for the fan was changed. The change caused it to delay the fan updates. Since many of us use the fan to control our lasers that change causes the laser to turn on and off to early or too late. As you can see in your photo and in the photos in the other Thread BT pointed you to.

Here is the offending code. It is located in the Marlin.cpp file.

// Limit check_axes_activity frequency to 10Hz

static millis_t next_check_axes_ms = 0;

if (ELAPSED(ms, next_check_axes_ms)) {

planner.check_axes_activity();

next_check_axes_ms = ms + 100UL;

}

To fix the problem it needs to be changed to this.

// Limit check_axes_activity frequency to 10Hz

//static millis_t next_check_axes_ms = 0;

//if (ELAPSED(ms, next_check_axes_ms)) {

planner.check_axes_activity(); //< THIS IS THE ONLY LINE OF CODE YOU LEAVE UNCOMMENTED

// next_check_axes_ms = ms + 100UL;

//}

Now I would like to step back for a moment. In your post you said there is a problem with program that Victor made. I took one look at your picture and I saw the Jagged hard edges and told you about this firmware bug. I believe you may have been talking about a different problem. So let’s discuss the other problem. I am going to call it the grey area between the dark areas. That is not from the firmware bug. Most likely that is from the image you are using. It might have some “off white” color in those areas that the program is picking up saying should be grey. If I am correct then you should be able to play with the White offset setting in the Image To Gcode tool Victor made. Try setting it to something like 210. That might make all your grey area go away.

Hi, Aaryn!

I have Marlin 1.1.9 installed and I do not have this problem. I can not even find this piece of code in entire Marlin firmware. But this problem you describe appears if I use M3-M5 commands to control laser.

Silvio, you can just click on this image area with left mouse button to set the white offset. The blue-colored area will not be engraved.

Easton
    Participant

I have Marlin 1.1.9 installed and I do not have this problem.

I know it’s a little off topic, but could you point me towards where the MPCNC Marlin 1.1.9 download link is? I recently upgraded to 2.0, and would love to downgrade again, but can’t seem to find the link anywhere.

Victor
    Participant

I have Marlin 1.1.9 installed and I do not have this problem.

I know it’s a little off topic, but could you point me towards where the MPCNC Marlin 1.1.9 download link is? I recently upgraded to 2.0, and would love to downgrade again, but can’t seem to find the link anywhere.

Hi, Easton

I downloaded it from original Marlin web site, but I have a 3D printer and do not know if it will work on MPCNC.

Aaryn
    Participant

There are some differences in settings for a 3D printer and an MPCNC.  Mostly acceleration settings etc.  but I would suggest you use the preconfigured firmware Ryan has setup.  Or download a clean copy from the. Main github branch and use a compare or diff tool to copy Ryan’s suggested settings.

Firmware

Aaryn
    Participant

The M3 and M5 bug is sadly similar but different.  It exists on marlin versions 1.9 through 2.x currently.  It is a known issue and they even say it would be best to use M106 instead.  Sadly Ryan found the bug with the m106 I mentioned as well.

John
    Participant

Isn’t Lightburn better than this, and faster, but costs money?

Easton
    Participant

There are some differences in settings for a 3D printer and an MPCNC. Mostly acceleration settings etc. but I would suggest you use the preconfigured firmware Ryan has setup. Or download a clean copy from the. Main github branch and use a compare or diff tool to copy Ryan’s suggested settings.

Firmware

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” title=”“Firmware” — V1 Engineering” src=”https://www.v1engineering.com/marlin-firmware/embed/#?secret=TBlNXJRi3P” width=”600″ height=”388″ frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no” sandbox=”allow-scripts” data-secret=”TBlNXJRi3P” data-mce-fragment=”1″></iframe>

I’d definitely prefer to use Ryan’s, and I was using his pre-2.0 configuration that was working great for me, but I decided to update, regretted it, and would like to go back down. Only problem is that the pre-2.0 MPCNC Marlin firmware is nowhere to be found. Is there not a backup somewhere?

Aaryn
    Participant

Isn’t Lightburn better than this, and faster, but costs money?

I haven’t used it but from what I understand yes.  I has more features and is a good product.  It will not solve the firmware issues though.

I’d definitely prefer to use Ryan’s, and I was using his pre-2.0 configuration that was working great for me, but I decided to update, regretted it, and would like to go back down. Only problem is that the pre-2.0 MPCNC Marlin firmware is nowhere to be found. Is there not a backup somewhere?

Understood.  I don’t know if they are available anymore.  That is why I have two copies of the firmware I use.  Version 1.1.5 and the latest.  When I want something stable without new features I roll back.  But I made that version by doing what I described earlier.  Download Ryan’s and a clean copy from the main branch.  Then use a compare tool to Copy the settings I want from the configuration.h and configuration_adv.h files that Ryan setup.  I use notepad ++ with the compare plugin but there are several other tools that work as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 331 through 339 (of 339 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.