Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC

New Home Forum Software Development Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC

This topic contains 310 replies, has 49 voices, and was last updated by  Fabio 2 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 271 through 300 (of 311 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

I would scale it with an image editing program first to the dimensions you want.

Mike Carr
    Participant

Ok I must be really missing something, I set the size in Preview to 3 x 2.94 inches

When I load that it still looks weird, if I adjust the output dimensions it makes it all blurry again

Will this really print out 100 inches ?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Try a different image editing program. Is that a MAC?

Mike Carr
    Participant

Yes sir

Ryan
    Keymaster

Dang it could  just be a MAC thing. Most here are on windows or linux. MAC isn’t super maker friendly.

Mike Carr
    Participant

Am also running Windows 10 in Parallels, what image editing software do you recommend? Paint.net? Gimp?

Mike Carr
    Participant

Should I even mess with output size ? Every time I do the image gets blurry

I opened Paint.NET, resized the image to what I wanted

Then open in Image2code, still, only 100 inches displays correctly

John
    Participant

I am using Marlin and was wondering if you could ditch the parens you use in the generated gcode?  Parens are taken as errors so this is an error (Generated by 3dpBurner Image2Gcode v1.0)
    (@Sep/22/2017 03:40:14)

Now if you want to add comments like that to the gcode just put a semi colon at the start of the comment so in this case before each line as such ;(Generated by 3dpBurner Image2Gcode v1.0)
    ;(@Sep/22/2017 03:40:14)

edit: Another real error is a dangling F for feedrate as there needs to be a G1 Fxxxx to set a global feedrate (or set it per axis but no need for that for this).

G28 X Y
    G90

G21

F600

G0 Y112.05; Move to top left corner and begin box

The above is some of the code and see that F600?  It is a flat out error so the feed rate is never ever set.

Consider these a very simple request and really easy to implement so more can use this software and I thank you for the continued work on this.

edit:  I just found something else that is an error “G1 X0 G1 Y0” that extra G1 is an error and it should be G1 Xx Yx and in this case would be G1 X0 Y0.  I think a button added for these changes would be nice and make it so it has a broader user base.

John
    Participant

For anyone who needs the change to the G1 command (only really need it when using diagonal) load up notepad++ (in windows) and hit ctrl-h.  Check the regex radial button so it turns black (it is at the bottom of the search box we opened with ctrl-h) and in the search put this exactly (G. X.*?) G.( Y.*?)   Mind you the spaces.  In the replace with put this $1$2 and the gcode file will be Marlin ready.  While in the notepad++ don’t forget the other two things and just do those by hand.  I have a 19meg gcode file and this takes a dang long time on even a Ryzen 1600 OC’d (I was wondering if it had crashed honestly) so I hope the author implements the changes I mentioned.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Regex can do anything. It can even do magic, if you’re a wizard. 🙂

Other places that regex works are with atom (the editor), sed (part of Unix), Python, perl. If you want command line tools like sed, awk, grep in windows, I can say that mobixterm and cygwin both work very well.

Notepad++ is good, but I would also look at atom.

John
    Participant

Regex is the black arts and I wish to stay away from cygwin.

I just looked at the atom page and will try it and I sure hope it can do regex (looks very similar to notepad++) and if it does faster than notepad++ as I just ran into a 64m gcode file and no way would I want to mess with that.  I could see 10 mins easily I bet.

I just tried Atom and no thanks it crashed on the same search with the same file that notepad++ had no issues with.  Not sure why though.

btw, I take it that this project for Image2Gcode is a dead project?

RussB
    Participant

Yes, shame there have been no recent posts/updates to this program. I ‘just’ started into laser engraving/etching 2 weeks ago and stumbled unto this software. Personally, from what I’ve seen output wise,it does a great job 🙂 I’ll keep using it until someone suggests something else thats free/low cost as this is just a hobby for me. Thought I’d make a module for my 3D printer to laser etch.

To the original programmer kudos!!!!!

Cheers,

RussB

James Donnelly
    Participant

Anyone here know if going to a 32 bit board like a smoothie would increase the engraving speed over a RAMPS setup?

I’ve heard reports of a4 sheets taking hours to engrave.

Ryan
    Keymaster

A standalone laser engraver has very little moving mass so they will always be much faster. The MPCNC has a large moving mass and therefore we move it slower and with slower accelerations. If you watch a standalone etch, you will not want to move your MPCNC that fast.

It isn’t an electronics thing.

James Donnelly
    Participant

When I do raster engraving of some of my 2 colour decal images, I feel I am seeing the mechanically optimised speeds for the device.

It only takes a few minutes to complete a fairly large image.  My device has no PWM so the burden is moving the steppers and turning the beam on and off.

I have heard that RAMPS converted machines which are able to do PWM power control are much slower than this (when engraving 8 bit), with more than one voice stating there is a processing bottleneck in the Arduino.

So it seems to me to be electronic not mechanical.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m not clear on what that means.

If you are having bottlenecks try using the usb instead of sd card. I will be uploading a project today that doesn’t work on an SD card as the commands come too fast to work on the lcd.

The machine can move 120mm/s x and y until you hit that limit the issue is elsewhere.

John
    Participant

Marlin is a turd for speed whereas GRBL is so fast my 3d printer can’t keep up.  Marlin via USB maxes out at around 60mm/s for me and on SD card around 90mm/s.  Now Grbl-mega (same exact hardware of Mega 2560 + Ramps 1.4) my physical hardware can’t keep up and after tweaking acceleration and feedrate I physically max out at 148mm/s over USB.  I had it doing 300mm/s but it was throwing things off of my wobbly table and while lasering it would make some weird sounds due to my laser having no real weight so I do 145mm/s as that machines physical limitation but it is not due to software.

Once I get in the mood I am changing the entire X axis so my speed will probably go up but a Prusa I3’s weakest point is that X carriage and I can’t do anything about that.

Hi to all, I’m new to the forum and I starting using a laser with my MPCNC.

The Image2Gcode software is very interesting, but looking at the generated gcode that’s something odd.

I’m using the version 1.1 and the beginning of the gcode (after the header) looks like:

(Header end)

G90

G21

F3000

G0 Y37,2524; Move to top left corner and begin box
    G92 X0 Y37,2524

M106 S5
    G0 X60
    G0 Y0
    G0 X0

G0 X0 Y37.26
    G1
    M106 S0

The red rows seems wrong. The first two rows have a comma instead of the decimal point and the last red row has a G1 command without any parameters.

Maybe the comma is related to the local setting of my PC which uses the comma as decimal point, but all the following code is ok.

It’s also strange that if I change the Origin to Center then the decimal point is omitted:

G0 X-30 Y186262; Move to top left corner and begin box
    G92 X0 Y37,2524

Do you experienced the same behavior?

Is there an higher version of the software that v1.1?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Are you using the one that was modified for the MPCNC, found here on the site?

Yes, I’m using the software downloaded from this thread.

The version 1.0 from the first page gave me numbers without the decimal point and version 1.1 at page 8 gave me what I’ve written above.

It’s not a big issue, luckily I found it and I can quickly correct it manually. But the MPCNC will not be happy if I forget to do so.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Shoot I recently moved computers I have no idea what version I had been using. I don’t think I know enough about programming to dive into this stuff to make an updated version. I mostly only even vector etch with inkscape.

hans
    Participant

I’m having an issue with burning letters with image2gcode. The letters in the image are filled, like in pic one. The letters that are burned are only outlines, like pic 2. I don’t understand why letters would be treated any differently than the rest of the image, but they appear to be, since the rest of the image is filled appropriately. I think I must be missing a setting somewhere but I sure can’t find it…does anyone have a tip for me?

Thanks!

Kevin
    Participant

Finally got my laser setup going and had a few things I ran across.

This software only seems to work well for me with the 1st two versions from page 1. (.01 and .02 I think) have odd issues with any of the other ones that got modded after leo’s original. Wish I could seems like some cool additions but not without issue. But even still this program does what I need it to.

Secondly that blurry issue Mike has after a resize, can be remedied by adjusting the resol(ution) to a lower number to regain the sharpness. (under the keep aspect checkbox) Try setting to .01 after resizing and see if that helps.

Based on the profile settings the modded version had I set my speed to 3k ms and it seems to be working decently though the speed definitely is not near max. 4″ image engrave took 40 mins.

For what its worth.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thanks for that Kevin. I haven’t pulled out my laser in a while. Sounds like I need to make some updated laser instructions.

Josef
    Participant

First of all, thanks to Bryan (Uthayne) and Leo-69 for this software.

I recently finished my DIY laser engraver / cutter and today I thought I would try some engraving of pictures. After some google searching and trying another free image to gcode converter without much luck, I found Image2Gcode. I  downloaded the latest version and generated some gcode using a picture I found on the web. I must say, the software is very easy to use and seemed to be exactly what I needed.

Unfortunately i ran into the same problem that hans ran into. Looks like the software is switching the laser off for really dark areas instead of switching it to full power.

I downloaded the code from github and found what I believe to be the issue. There is a check on line 818 and 865 in Form1.cs that should not be there.

Bryan or Leo-69 if you are still monitoring this forum, I created a fork on Github with my proposed change. First time I used Github, so not sure i did it right ;).

I attached the original image (Original.bmp) and a Before.jpg that shows what the engraving looked like before the change and an After.jpg that shows what it looks like after the change. The “before” image is cut off below the yes because i stopped the machine when it became apparent that there was something wrong. The “after” image is 50% the size of the before image, so lacks some detail, but the dark areas are dark as they should be.

Thanks

Josef

• This reply was modified 1 day, 7 hours ago by  Ryan.

Josef
    Participant

I submitted a post earlier tonight and then tried to edit it. When I hit “Submit”, my post disappeared. I tried re-submitting several times with no luck. Kept on getting a message that I’m trying to submit a duplicate post, so below is a modified version of my original post. My apologies if my originals all show up above this one :).

———————————————————————-

First of all, thanks to Bryan (Uthayne) and Leo-69 for this software.

I recently finished my DIY laser engraver / cutter and today I thought I would try some engraving of pictures. After some google searching and trying another free image to gcode converter without much luck, I found Image2Gcode. I  downloaded the latest version and generated some gcode using a picture I found on the web. I must say, the software is very easy to use and seemed to be exactly what I needed.

Unfortunately i ran into the same problem that hans ran into. Looks like the software is switching the laser off for really dark areas instead of switching it to full power.

I downloaded the code from github and found what I believe to be the issue. There is a check on line 818 and 865 in Form1.cs that should not be there.

Bryan or Leo-69 if you are still monitoring this forum, I created a fork on Github with my proposed change. First time I used Github, so not sure i did it right ;).

I attached the original image (Original1.bmp) and a Before1.jpg that shows what the engraving looked like before the change and an After1.jpg that shows what it looks like after the change. The “before” image is cut off below the yes because i stopped the machine when it became apparent that there was something wrong. The “after” image is 50% the size of the before image, so lacks some detail, but the dark areas are dark as they should be.

Thanks

Josef

2 users thanked author for this post.

Josef
    Participant

Please note that the problem described above should only occur if you use the “Horizontal Scanning” engraving pattern. If you use the “Diagonal Scanning” option, it should not happen.

Josef

hans
    Participant

Definitely interested in giving this a try…

Josef
    Participant

Hans,

There is a patched version of the executable in the attached zip file.

Please give it a try to see if it fixes your problem.

Fabio
    Participant

Ciao a tutti sono nuovo stavo cercando informazioni e aiuti  vorrei arrivare ad avere una risoluzione in scala di grigi superiore a 8 bit  posseggo una macchina aitocostruita con laser da 2.5w ramps 1.4 mega2560 display, ho letto che qualcuno è riuscito tra 10 15 e 16 bit di pwm, vorrei poter impostare anche io il pwm su timer a 16 bit ma non so come fare ho provato ma risultati zero, se qualcuno può spiegare o avete un firmware già pronto vi ringrazio tantissimo

Viewing 30 posts - 271 through 300 (of 311 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.