If it ain't broke – FIX it…

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic If it ain't broke – FIX it…

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  David Walling 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Jeff
    Participant

How many of you are like me?  You get your machine (LR2, MP3DP, whatever) working great and then decide, I can make it work even better… and then… the rabbit hole of despair where the enemy of Good is Perfect.  Ug, I just spent this morning going down that rabbit hole again, and I chased a few squirrels for good measure.  I “think” I have my MP3DP back to where it was, running a print now to find out…

3 users thanked author for this post.

Brandon
    Participant

I tore my perfectly working MPCNC apart in October to reprint almost all the parts and the new burly parts as well. I still don’t have it working today!!! What was I thinking?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jeff
    Participant

I tore my perfectly working MPCNC apart in October to reprint almost all the parts and the new burly parts as well. I still don’t have it working today!!! What was I thinking?

Yup, that’s something I would do as well…  Can’t leave well enough alone.  Except, now I really do have problem with my MP3DP – it won’t print circles properly.  lol.  chasing that one now.

Ryan
    Keymaster

When that happens to me, I revise parts, test a few of them, release them, then spend the next two months updating the site, shop, and instructions. Then answer a million new questions, panic that I made some sort of mistake.

Yup, I think we all do it.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Jeff
    Participant

When that happens to me, I revise parts, test a few of them, release them, then spend the next two months updating the site, shop, and instructions. Then answer a million new questions, panic that I made some sort of mistake.

Yup, I think we all do it.

Definitely more of an issue on your end considering we are all using your parts!

MegaDad3D
    Participant

I was watching some Frank Howarth videos and thinking about how to do the vertically aligned cuts he does on his CNC. I’m thinking of making another machine so that I can have one that is optimized for vertical cuts. Being able to make such an inexpensive machine allows this kind of thinking, where you have multiple CNC machines optimized for different tasks.

As of this morning, I’m thinking of making a low-rider next, then modifying the base of my current MPCNC to allow for vertical cuts.

Ask me again tomorrow and the plan could change…

I’m pretty sure that I’m going to build the next one before I break anything that’s currently working, though. 🙂

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I was watching some Frank Howarth videos and thinking about how to do the vertically aligned cuts he does on his CNC. I’m thinking of making another machine so that I can have one that is optimized for vertical cuts. Being able to make such an inexpensive machine allows this kind of thinking, where you have multiple CNC machines optimized for different tasks.

Bed goes up…

I have wanted one of those for a while. I don’t think I would need anything but 90, and anything else could.just be shims. I have also not used the enormous size of the LR, so maybe I should switch to a smaller LR or even make another MPCNC… Hmmm.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

That’s how improvements and discoveries are made. If we were just satisfied with whatever we had already we wouldn’t be the specie who evolves by continuously inventing stuff. We’d just lay down on our dam drinking beers and doing drugs, like beavers.

I think I’ve taken my MPCNC apart more than 50 times aready, most of the time it ended up better than its previous iteration, with more functionalities or improved reliability. That’s what’s fun about it in my opinion, you almost get to create your own machine at some point.

Jeff
    Participant

Good insight Dui!  I didn’t think about it like that.

David Walling
    Participant

I’m more of a ‘house of cards’ type of engineer. Once I have something working good enough, I don’t touch the thing unless I absolutely have to, but if one small thing goes wrong with part of it, it’s likely to explode.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.