I made a keypad.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Brian 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Brian
    Participant

Hey everyone. I don’t post much here but wanted to share my latest addition. I made a keypad for controlling my MPCNC with a Pro Trinket and mechanical keyboard switches. Here is a link to the imgur album I made for it.

3D Printed CNC Keypad

I had some leftover key switches and thought this would be a cool way to combine my mechanical keyboard hobby and my CNC hobby. Most of the details are in the imgur album if you wanted to do this yourself. I’m using a Pi with Octoprint to control my MPCNC, and the android app Printoid allows for keyboard inputs. I basically wired up the Pro Trinket for the different inputs for each key. The only downside for right now is that there is a bug in Printoid Premium where A and D both move the X axis left. I emailed the developer and he says he’s repeated the issue and there will be a fix in the next app release. It kind of shows how many people are actually using keyboard commands with Printoid if I’m the one that found the bug, lol.

Thought I’d share it here on the forums in case anyone was interested!

3 users thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It kind of shows how many people are actually using keyboard commands with Printoid if I’m the one that found the bug, lol.

I have been using OctoRemote and I’ve been liking it. I just installed Printoid, and it works with the v1pi, if you set the port to 4080.

It just so happens I just finished a keyboard build, and I have some spare browns and an extra pro micro. I can only imagine the clicky clack of the blues moving the CNC machine around. Thanks for sharing.

I mentioned this in the reddit post you made, but what I like about this is that it uses the same serial port interface as octoprint, so it’s not going conflict with it.

Brian
    Participant

It kind of shows how many people are actually using keyboard commands with Printoid if I’m the one that found the bug, lol.

I have been using OctoRemote and I’ve been liking it. I just installed Printoid, and it works with the v1pi, if you set the port to 4080.

It just so happens I just finished a keyboard build, and I have some spare browns and an extra pro micro. I can only imagine the clicky clack of the blues moving the CNC machine around. Thanks for sharing.

I mentioned this in the reddit post you made, but what I like about this is that it uses the same serial port interface as octoprint, so it’s not going conflict with it.

Ah yes, I remember seeing that comment now. Didn’t realize it was you!

Uh, yeah, I totally meant to use the same serial port interface as octoprint… lol

The blues make it fun to use the keypad. I saw the Octoremote plugin but didn’t want to mess with a full size arduino or any extra wiring. Now I’m just patiently waiting for the dev to update the app. I have custom keycaps (with symbols) to print in the meantime I suppose.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.