Howdy All! New Build in Calgary, Canada!

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC Howdy All! New Build in Calgary, Canada!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

David
    Participant

Hi all!

I figured since I’ve been lurking and actually started a build I should introduce myself.  I’m David, I found out and got super excited about MPCNC because of Tom’s video series (despite his very haphazard approach to his build and the drama he started).

I’ve got all the outer parts printed nearly I just have the the motor mounts and the X/Y carriage to print before I can start the build.

I’m planning a slightly larger than suggested build with a 24″X x 12″Y x 4″Z work area.  I’ve got mid-span printed as well for the X axis.

I already have a DW660 however I need a 1/4” collet for it.  I’m looking forward to getting this thing together!

-David

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The 660 should come with an 1/8″ and 1/4″, at least both mine did. That size is fine, but a 4″ Z is pretty tall, you might want to cut that down and just accommodate taller things with an adjustable table.

Bryan
    Participant

I built a 36″ x 36″ here in Calgary. Bought the pipe from Metal Supermarket here in town. Have run it for over a year and never did see the need for mid-span supports. It is pretty solid, don’t over think things. I built a remote pendant which was well worth it.

David
    Participant

Ryan:  I’ve seen you mention the 3″ vs 4″ Z a couple times.  What makes the 4″ too high?  I’m worried that with bit length, material height, and wasteboard combined 3″ won’t be enough Z travel.  That said this is my first CNC router so I admitedly don’t have a true frame of reference.

Bryan: Would it be possible to see your machine sometime that is convenient for you? If it’s not too much trouble I’d love to see one in action and hear your experience building as well as the ups and downs of the what it does well and struggles with.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you are worried about tall projects and materials you need to make the table accommodate them not the machine. 1/8″ endmills are 3/4″ so much over 1.5″ is a waste.

Your wasteboard should not be a factor in your build height it should be at table level or lower. If you take that to the extreme why build a 6″ machine to have a 3″ wasteboard. You get a much better machine with a short build height. Tables are easy to adjust if needed.

David
    Participant

It’s taking form!

I’ll be printing the last piece tonight (a lower xyz piece).  Bearings come in Sunday and hardware shopping this weekend.  With any luck I’ll have a frame to square up sometime next week!

2 users thanked author for this post.

David
    Participant

Bearings and fasteners arrived!  Did some work on the center carriage today.  Good news is it looks like a thing now!  Bad news is that I cracked the outside of the xyz on one side trying to do up the bolt :/

I can’t feel ANY tilt or twist flex in the Z when I pull on it hard.  I’m tempted to put it together and know that if I run into problems it’s going to be the first thing I fix.

David
    Participant

More work this weekend on the frame!  Since this picture was taken I got the frame screwed down and roughly squared up.  I need to buy a dial indicator at some point in order to do a better job.  I really wish I could afford to buy all of the everything in one go.  I’ll DEFINITELY be making a donation to Ryan’s “keep a roof over my head” fund as soon as possible!  Thank you for making this project as accessible as you have Ryan.  I could never take this on if the only option was a completely closed source kit.

No real assembly issues so far on this end.  The next big step will be waiting you the steppers and doing some plotting when the boat arrives from China.

Currently reading up on feeds and speeds and trying to understand it all.  I’m so looking forward to hopefully making some Christmas gifts on it!

IMG_20191003_202144

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.