How I squared my xy axis

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC How I squared my xy axis

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Matthias
    Participant

To get my xy as square as I possibly can, I used a simple jig, which consists of

• A) a rectangular piece of particleboard (I checked that the corners are exactly 90°)
    • B) a strip of wood screwed to part A from the side.
    • C) A tupperware container, a book or anything that allows A) to rest on while beeing parallel to the ground plane.

It turned out, xy axis was was not square. The angle was about 90.2°.

• I tried loosening the A bolts, but they already were loose.
    • I tried tightening the B Bolt. Did not help.

I thought that this might happen because I am using M4 bolts instead of the recommended M3.5. My bolts are a bit thicker than what many people are using. This gives a bit more tension to the A bearings. Of course, since all my bolts are M4, this effect should be the same everwhere and should cancel out.

The following method worked for me:

• I reduced the diameter of one of my A bolts, just where the bolt touches the ball bearing.
    • I did this by simply inseting the bolt into the chuck of my drill press, and then holding a file to the spinning bolt
    • I reduced the diameter of the bolt in this area by about 0.2mm
    • I aso marked the head of this bolt with a fret saw to identify it later when necessary

Now my xy is square.

I hope this helps someone who has the same problem, or someone has some feedback for me (was this the right thing to do?) Anyway, I is a huge fun project for me and I learn al lot!

Best Regards
    Mat

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rek Lamchef
    Participant
    • I tried loosening the A bolts, but they already were loose.
    • I tried tightening the B Bolt. Did not help.

I thought that this might happen because I am using M4 bolts instead of the recommended M3.5. My bolts are a bit thicker than what many people are using. This gives a bit more tension to the A bearings. Of course, since all my bolts are M4, this effect should be the same everwhere and should cancel out.

I built a terribly unsquare MPCNC but what are the “A bolts” and the “A bearings”?

I think my x/y piece is unsquare so I’ve been heating it up with a heat gun and trying to bend it in the right direction because it is more than one  degree out of square apparently.

I’m so desperate right now, trying to do a job with it, that i’m about to just skew my .dxf in the opposite direction. 😀

you never need precision till you do!

Deek
    Participant

what are the “A bolts” and the “A bearings”?

Check the middle assembly instructions page https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/middle/ there are three types of Tension Bolts – A, B and C

• Tension Bolts A – Control X and Y Rail tension, slight effect on the squareness. More on this at the end.
    • These should be left extremely loose, just tight enough to engage the nylock on the lock nuts.

As I was building mine I missed that the tension bolts were cleverly labeled “A” “B” “C” so Ryan could easily identify which were which and what they do.

It may be worth dissembling and reassembling the middle assembly, I hear that can improve squareness.  It’s probably a mix of breaking in the parts and we just get smarter the second time assembling!

Also if you printed them yourself, check your printer with a large calibration print cube.  Again I hear that an out of calibration printer can cause issues especially with the middle assembly.  Something is up, if you have to heat parts to bend them

Good luck!

Matthias
    Participant

I labeled my bolts to rememer which is which.

Matthias
    Participant

I labeled my bolts to remember which is which.

Jamie
    Participant

I’ve got mine labeled the same way with tape like that.

It got me to thinking, I’m printing a new set, (sorta bored waiting for parts) why not do this

marked_xy_j_burly

marked_xyz_j_burly

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Good idea!

Jamie
    Participant

Gratuitous photo

xy_burly_marked

(The “A” is marked on the opposite side as well.)

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hmmmmm, if the parts end up looking anything like this on the next version…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.