How do I just cut out one section of wood?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC How do I just cut out one section of wood?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Justin
    Participant

I am wanting to cut 5mm out of only the grayed area (I made it gray in paint, not Estlcam).  The only options I’ve found is to cut the inside/outside of the red line or cut out out everything that is inside of the red line including the UK text.  So how do I just cut the grayed out area down to 5mm?

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

You are looking to do a pocket with an island. Hover over the options and see if it is clear to you how it is done. The outer line is your pocket boundary and the next inner line is your island. Hard to explain, once you do it it once it should be pretty clear.

Justin
    Participant

Thanks!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry I couldn’t be more clear, it is a little convoluted to do so I don’t remember the steps exactly. Now that you know what it is called you can probably figure it out. If not I will be messing with estlcam later this evening and can do a step by step.

Justin
    Participant

Yeah man I’m sorry but would you mind going a little more in depth?  To make sure you understand what I’m asking I’m wanting the red outline to cut all the way through the wood, the grey part to all be cut down to 5mm, and the rest remain untouched.

Justin
    Participant

I’ve been searching for how to do this all day but for some reason cannot find an answer.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Cut inside pocket, hover over the tools they have instructions. Christians channel on youtube has videos as well. Pretty sure the fire sign has a pocket island in it.

I am working on the firmware compile issues right now.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Johnny
    Participant

Justin – Can you post the file you are importing into Estlcam? Ill pull it up when I get home and see if something strange is going on.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Justin
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

Before I try it for you. I just tested it.

• Select the “Part” tool.
    • Click the inner most path.
    • Then select the the “hole” tool.
    • Click the outer most path, do not click on anything else.
    • Then click on “Island” in the hole properties menu that pops up.

If you still have an issue I will try your file.

Justin
    Participant

I think I get it now.  I’m going to cut the file and see if it works.  Thanks so much for your help.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh….I can’t wait.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The file I was working on the last 2 nights came out amazing, so much so I am making firmware edits to make it better!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.