Help Please – How do I connect a 15w laser to the RAMBo Dual 1.4 board

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Help Please – How do I connect a 15w laser to the RAMBo Dual 1.4 board

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bryan 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

WilliamM
    Participant

I got a 15w laser and I have been trying my best to figure out how tie it into the board.  I am extremely new to all of this.  And not fully up to times on all the jargon.  I saw under the firmware section that pins 45, 31, and 23 are available on MX2.  How exactly is this done and are there additional components that I need to purchase to accomplish this?  Or can it even be done? This is the laser purchased from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Module-Heatsink-Cooling-Focusing-Ensfouy/dp/B07H5PKMHQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550588590&sr=8-4&keywords=15w+blue+laser

Aaryn
    Participant

Hello William,

First off I would like to talk about safety.  If your laser came with the blue green glasses like in the picture on amazon I would suggest you don’t trust the safety of your eyes to those.  There is a great video explaining eye protection from lasers on Ryan’s main laser page.  The link is at the bottom of this post.

Next I would like to state that I also have a 15 Watt laser and I wish I had bought a 2 or 3 watt instead.  The 15 watt laser uses more power to kick out more heat but most of the time it also doesn’t focus that heat into a small enough point to make it worth it.  It just spreads that extra heat out over a larger area so the extra power is wasted making a bigger dot.  With lasers you want a small focus dot.  If you are engraving images you want small dot to get fine details.  If you are carving or cutting you want a small dot to get the most cutting power.  Next i noticed that this model doesn’t have a focusing lens.  it says it is just permanently focused at 13 mm.  That seems really close to the lens to me.  Smoke may rise up and permanently coat or damage your lens.  Also that means that your laser has a very sharp focusing V shape.  So if you are trying to cut through something that is lets say 5 mm thick.  The dot on the surface might be 0.1 mm wide but at the bottom of the 5 mm thick material it may be about 0.3 mm wide.  Not great for cutting.  If they meant to say 13 cm that would be a lot better.  I say all of this so you know what to look for soon.  You may want to return that laser and get another.  Might even save yourself some money and have a better experience.

Ok.  Onto what you asked about.  I don’t have a RAMBO but Ryan’s laser page linked below has everything you need.  Click on the Rambo picture and it will show you the pins.  Since your laser says it uses the 5 volt TTL follow that set of instructions.

EDIT:  One more thought.  15 Watt laser means you need to be using thicker, darker safety glasses.  Please watch the full video at the top of Ryan’s laser page.

Lasers

WilliamM
    Participant

Thank you very much for the heads up on all of that.  Will definitely use your suggestion on the 2W.  Thank you as well for the advice on the laser protection that was provided in that kit.  I have been completely excited about getting started into all of this.  Just keep running into one road block after the other.

Aaryn
    Participant

Oh HECK YEAH!  I danced around the house like a kid for a few days when I got my laser up and running.  It took me about 4 weeks to shop, order, wait, test, fail, return, shop, order, wait, test, ask for help, research links from help, setup and test, before I got mine working.

At the time I knew 15 Watts was overkill but I also knew I was going to be using this laser to cut Kaizen foam.  If just needs to be melted.  So for me the 15 watt is actually a good thing because the foam doesn’t give me a smooth surface to focus the beam when it is cutting.  It just catches all of the 15 watts of heat into a small enough area that it melts.  Not precise but close enough for me.

Bryan
    Participant

I bought a 15W laser off ebay, similar to the amazon link. I was also warned that the actual point of the laser would be considerable larger than a 2W. I also have a 4W. In testing the the 15 W I am able to cut through 6 mm plywood on a consistent basis. Never had much luck with the 4W getting through plywood, but maybe with what I know now I may go back and try to cut through plywood with the 4W. With 15W laser you need to do multiply passes as well as lower the z axis on each pass.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.