Heath's Projects

New Home Forum Things You Have Made Heath's Projects

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Heath 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Heath
    Participant

First two projects using the MPCNC.

This is a hot glue gun holder for my youngest daughter.  She loves crafting with her hot glue gun, but the plywood block she sets it on has become a mess.  I was throwing this together for her in the shop yesterday (scrap red oak) and needed to make a recess for the tile, but my chisels were in desperate need of sharpening.  Instead of taking the time to sharpen them, I instead took the time to make the file to cut it out with the CNC.  Horses are her main love, so I also added that decoration.  With all the computer work, the test cuts, and final cutting time, this 30 minute project turned into an all day project, but it was a day well spent learning.

20181222_200206

My oldest daughter has a new obsession with a South Korean boy band called BST.  This is artwork related to a series of album covers or something.  1/4″ MDF spray painted black.

20181222_200427

4 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Those are some cool projects, and use all of the CNC basics. Cool!

Racerflea
    Participant

Man those look great heath! Soon your gonna need a new tab on your website!

Heath
    Participant

So I’m a big nerd, geek, kid, whatever.  I just made this little wall hanger display thingy to accompany my GI Joe collection.  Super simple project.  I referenced a vintage card back for a Cobra soldier and drew it up in Inkscape (importing the actual Cobra emblem from elsewhere).  The basic shape was a simple cut on 1/4″ MDF with the MPCNC, then paint (the most difficult part of the process), then the letters and Cobra emblem done with my wife’s vinyl cutter.  The lettering is not an exact match, but close enough I think.  The original was probably hand drawn, but I was using text on a path.

Just for the experience, I added a tool change to the operation, making the first cut with a 1/8″ bit, then the finishing pass with a 1/16″ bit.  I need to make some adjustments to the tool change gcode in Estlcam, or just abandon that process and make each tool its own gcode file.  It’s all part of the learning process.

CardedFigure
    Cobra-Enemy-01
    Cobra-Enemy-03

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I had some GIJoe’s as a youngster. That brings back some memories!

Heath
    Participant

What was supposed to be a Christmas present for my wife almost ended up being a Valentine’s gift instead. Inkscape again to make the shapes and the text. The text was engraved first, then the shapes cut out from a piece of cedar. Then pocketed the same shapes on a seasoned piece of, I think, pine. The cedar parts were painted black, then the paint sanded off leaving the paint in the recessed letters. Then they were coated with spray on poly.

IMG_24012019_194239_1080_x_525_pixel
    IMG_24012019_194256_1080_x_525_pixel

The design idea came from a project I think I may have seen here, but I can’t find the original that influenced this.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

WOW!!! You see this everyone, quick make one for that special someone.

The is an awesome use of contrasting colors and textures. Looks great.

1 user thanked author for this post.

mulze32
    Participant

Heath, how did you go about painting the MDF and seal the edges on the sign? It all looks great btw.

Heath
    Participant

I used spray paint.  A base coat of white and two coats of yellow.  The only sanding was some quick sanding with 320 grit Abranet mesh after the first yellow coat.  I didn’t seal the edges.  It was a rushed paint job, but I shared pics in a Joe FB group and have some orders for more, so I’ll take my time on those and do it right.  I’ll seal the edges with glue and properly sand.

mulze32
    Participant

I used spray paint. A base coat of white and two coats of yellow. The only sanding was some quick sanding with 320 grit Abranet mesh after the first yellow coat. I didn’t seal the edges. It was a rushed paint job, but I shared pics in a Joe FB group and have some orders for more, so I’ll take my time on those and do it right. I’ll seal the edges with glue and properly sand.

Great thank you very much! That is very useful.

Heath
    Participant

Cobra-Enemy-01

Did I price this too low?  I advertised it today in one of the larger GI Joe buy/sell/trade Facebook groups for $20 plus shipping, and I’ve got about 15 orders now.  That was a lot more orders than I expected!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sounds like it. Time is probably your largest cost. I would say fill as many as you can and up the price to compensate you properly for your time. Doing things in batches can really make you efficient though!

David Walling
    Participant

WOW!!! You see this everyone, quick make one for that special someone.

The is an awesome use of contrasting colors and textures. Looks great.

I was just debating if I could call in sick tomorrow to knock something like this out 🙂

Ryan
    Keymaster

I was just debating if I could call in sick tomorrow to knock something like this out ?

Duh!!!! There is no way this would not score some serious points!

Heath
    Participant

I’ll even share my SVG…

Attachments:
    1. Me-Us-You.zip
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.