Greenpower Car using LowRiderv2

New Home Forum Things You Have Made Greenpower Car using LowRiderv2

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Greg 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Sam Littlewood
    Participant

My son has been building an electric car for the Greenpower Formula 24+ series (Standard motor and batteries – rest is custom, within regulations).

The LowriderV2 has been an absolute star : cutting the plywood chassis, and then slabs of insulation foam for the body plug.

The only slight issue was one of the Z steppers getting out of sorts and diving into the foam. Those do the hardest work – don’t skimp on the spec, and keep the threaded rods clean.

CAD/CAM was all Fusion 360.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tim
    Participant

This is awesome! You cut the foam a couple sheets at a time and glued them up then sanded?

Sam Littlewood
    Participant

Yup,  we cut 27 layers of 100mm EP70 foam. Most layers were 3 or 4  simple contours, depending on gradient(so it does like separate layers). The nose and tail had additional parallel passes to get the right curves. Main trick was to have an initial contour pass that cut away as much waste as possible.

Gentle sanding to shape, a coat of household acrylic primer, then lightweight filler. Finished with a layer of glass (using epoxy resin to avoid melting foam) , followed by more filling and sanding (mostly wet).

Finally laid up and vacuum bagged.

Mostly went OK, biggest snafu was not keeping underside open to let air in when we did bagged main body – so had creases in styrofoam (resulting in rather more filling and sanding than we anticipated).

Ryan
    Keymaster

OMG!!!! I love it!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That is really neat! Great project. I hope to do things like this with my kids someday.

Greg
    Participant

So cool… what a great experience to have with your kid.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.