Grblgru, Lowrider 2, virtual simulation, 5 axis

New Home Forum LowRider Hardware Development – LowRider Grblgru, Lowrider 2, virtual simulation, 5 axis

This topic contains 38 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Whoa! Mind blown! Did you start with a round blank or di the cnc also carve the curves?

What 4th axis is this? Did you post about your machine in “your builds? I want to know more :D.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

@vicious1 definitely needs to add that to the gallery. Post a pic of the finished one too please.

Barry
    Participant

Neat!!

JeffH
    Participant

Thanks. I started with a bowl I had already turned as a test piece. It’s aspen which isn’t the greatest for milling since it’s so soft so some detail is lost. I’ll try one today with birch which is better. I could have done the entire outside from a round blank with a few roughing passes but it is Much quicker to turn these on a proper wood Lathe.

This could have been done with Mach3 but I wanted to get Grbl into the act for a variety of reasons: free software, widely available, inexpensive components, etc. Grblgru is on board with that.

My 4th axis is simply a Nema23 directly driving a standard scroll chuck right off my Lathe. I drilled a 1” x 8tpi bolt for an 8mm shaft, tack welded it, ran it through a couple of skateboard bearings set in plywood. I had planned just to do a finish pass on the pieces I use so with a small step over and a 1/8” ball nose bit I don’t need much holding power in the axis. If I find there are problems I can always find a metal geared 4th axis. I was milling inadvertently as deep as 6mm or so with that bit and it was pretty good so a 3 mm pass was no problem. I was already thinking of a 5th axis when I made it so the chuck angle is adjustable. I’ll attach a picture of it.

On my MPCNC I plan to use a small geared Nema17 direct drive 4th axis similarly made. 5.18 to 1 gearing. I can easily run that off a RAMPS board and  Dvr8825 driver.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

😯

JeffH
    Participant

Ryan might be pleased to know that Grblgru has posted a new video to YouTube titled ‘Grblgru How to use Advanced GCode’.

The first part of the video features the MPCNC with a 4th axis (running with GRBL Mega 5X on an Arduino Mega 2560 with a RAMPS card).

Both the Lowrider and MPCNC are available in his program as simulations as well as many others. They are modeled with and without a 4th axis.

You don’t need a machine to use them either. Grblgru can be used as a purely virtual program, or GCode generator, GCode sender, and machine controller. He continues to refine his features particularly for the use of a 4th axis. All for free. There are still some great deals out there in the wide world.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Do you have a link to the video?

JeffH
    Participant

You can find the video at:

1 user thanked author for this post.
    doc

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is awesome. I need to add this to the control page.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.