grbl, gcode sender, and control panel?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC grbl, gcode sender, and control panel?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Heath
    Participant

So I’m looking to make the switch from Marlin to grbl and I have some questions.

Am I understanding correctly that it needs an external gcode sender on a Pi, Laptop, or other computing device?  It can’t just execute gcode on an SD card in the LCD screen attached to the Arduino/Ramps, correct?

Using a Pi running cnc.js gives control via a web interface. But then you still need a 3rd device to access that web interface.  Is there any other alternative?  I don’t have a computer to dedicate to my shop and don’t really want to do that.  I’d rather something analogous to the LCD screen/SD card if running Marlin.  Is there an easy option for a touch screen or a non-touch LCD screen to use with a mouse and keyboard or other type of control?

Jamie
    Participant

What is it you hope to get from grbl that Marlin doesn’t do?  Not challenging your choice, just wondering.

Heath
    Participant

Mostly I just want to learn it. But I’m also hoping to get better results with the laser.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Aaron
    Participant

Grbl’s laser mode is quite useful, sort of like a linear advance but for laser power.

Try bcnc, I use it on the pi, great visualizer and even some cam generator plugins. Easy to switch laser mode on and off as well.

Heath
    Participant

Looking briefly at bcnc, it appears to have a Linux GUI that can be used with a monitor and keyboard/mouse attached to the Pi rather than just a web GUI that needs another computer to access.  Is that correct?  If so, that may be exactly what I want.

Aaron
    Participant

Correct. There’s also UGS which has a lighter resource requirement.

https://wiki.protoneer.co.nz/Raspberry_Pi_CNC_User_Interface_SD_Card_Image_V4.10

Here’s the image I used to use before, comes preloaded with bcnc/chilipeppr/ugs/cncjs, as well as firmware updater, grbl firmware updater, ssh enabled, and vnc servers already setup.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Aaron.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.