Grand plans for an update… not so much. *LR2 Released*

New Home Forum LowRider Hardware Development – LowRider Grand plans for an update… not so much. *LR2 Released*

Tagged: 

This topic contains 387 replies, has 40 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 2 hours, 32 minutes ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 388 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

I think you have to turn around at least one set of the screws holding the Y stepper or you will rub the belt…it is a bummer…we might have to change that.

My bad, you have it correct.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Is barry’s list correct? I’m about to slice all the xz parts.

Barry
    Participant

My bamboo is only 8mm thick, so not half inch.  I figured I’d give it a shot, if it breaks, I’ll use something else.

Is barry’s list correct? I’m about to slice all the xz parts.

So far it has been!   😆

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have what I believe to be the correct info and BOM in the previous post here.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

The color combo for this build.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

What kind of wood are you going for? I found that rockler down the road from me has Baltic birch, if I can’t find some of Barry’s Bamboo.

I used to be pretty adamant about making it look easy and inexpensive to build. After building the Red toolbox MPCNC build I have way more pride in the machine. It did cost more but including the really stupidly expensive toolbox it came out cheaper than most the other CNC kits….And that was all the bells and whistles I could come up with. I am super excited to make this build just as nice. I realize I need to hurry up and finish at least one version to get some testing going to get the kits back on sale but I feel strongly about putting a few extra dollars to make this look nice, even if that means rebuilding it in a few weeks to do that..

I found that you can get Santa Cruz SlimeBall wheels in 60mm, You know I am doing that….

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I found that rockler down the road from me has Baltic birch, if I can’t find some of Barry’s Bamboo.

I love milling BB. It reminds me of sugar cookie dough.

Rockler might be on the expensive side, although I don’t think BB is cheap anywhere. I can get 12mmx60″x60″ for about $45 (IIRC) from a local builder supply place. I think that price is right. I spent $110 for a 12mm and an 18mm sheet, and they cut it down the middle to fit in my car, which is why I go there and not the hardwood place. I thought it was 45, and 60 + tax.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have an Ashby lumber near by, it was closed yesterday, and golden state lumber but I don’t think they had it. Rockler isn’t bad, since it is a small piece. http://www.rockler.com/baltic-birch-plywood-24-inch-x-30-inch

Rockler also has some awesome tools, crazy expensive by I do love to window shop….for ideas.

Mitch
    Participant

I realize I need to hurry up and finish at least one version to get some testing going to get the kits back on sale but I feel strongly about putting a few extra dollars to make this look nice, even if that means rebuilding it in a few weeks to do that..

I just put in my request for a set of stainless cut parts. Rebuild does not include redesign does it? I don’t really want to do this again if i can help it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It might, you really should wait until we all try it first.

Mitch
    Participant

Okay i will email him and put this on hold. I will wait to see what you guys have for feedback. I wish someone around here cut something other than metal….. Oh well beggars cannot be choosers.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I can tell you I have a lead around here. As soon as I get mine built I will go visit and see if we can work out a deal for some WaterJet parts and see what sort of cost for each material.

Barry
    Participant

You can waterjet plywood…

Ryan
    Keymaster

If I pay for waterjetting it ain’t gunna be plywood.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

If I pay for waterjetting it ain’t gunna be plywood.

MDF?

I can’t imagine waterjetting anything like plywood would end up with anything but a soggy mess.

Mitch
    Participant

Laser is cheap the material is expensive. If i do mild steel it would be cheap but i would hate to tare it all apart to put stainless back in later.lol. Unfortunately steel is about all the shop is comfortable cutting.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

I made a router template for myself. With holes big enough to insert drill guides in. Was going to print them, and then cut the real parts on the LR and then take it all apart to install the wooden plates. Sounded like a lot of work. So now, I’ll just print this guide and do it by hand. Assemble one time.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well, the template idea might be slightly faster. I am not convinced though. I think using the CNC is pretty solid and generally I only need to clean up the edges where I leave a tab. The router was impossible not to burn in spots and made a hell of a mess.

#CNC4LIFE

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Have you ever tried a router table? You can make better dust collection, at least.

Jay Bates makes a tiny router table for what looks like a DeWalt 611.

But I’m also happy if you use your cnc more. You just have to fight the urge to redesign it every few hours.

Barry
    Participant

Have you ever tried a router table? You can make better dust collection, at least.

Jay Bates makes a tiny router table for what looks like a DeWalt 611.

But I’m also happy if you use your cnc more. You just have to fight the urge to redesign it every few hours.

Psst.  Hey Jeff.  That is a router table.  Needs dust collection though. 😁

Also, remember kids, keep your nuts contained!

Ryan
    Keymaster

CNC for the clear win…

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wait….I had a table and a router….that isn’t a router table? Messing with ya, the hardware store across the street has a big router and table on sale right now for $100. Figured I would try this out first, glad I did. Not worth it. I would rather spend the money a vac bigger than my little 2 gal shop vac. I am still going to add that to the LR2 table so I can round over edges quickly.

I have my rubber bands in the same ice cream containers!

That BB mills great, zero tear out. 4mmDOC, 11mm/s, 20000RPM, single flute. I did get a little chatter so I will keep tweaking the parameters.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

So i got some more parts printed. A few didn’t survive the power outage.. looks like I wont beable to print my template today… i also forgot to grab the drill bushings today..

When you tired to route them how much stock did you try to lop off with the router? My idea has me cutting just out side the line with a band saw and then using the router to bring it to final shape.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I didnt even see that. Thanks for not rubbing my nose in my mistake. 😀

Barry
    Participant

I have my rubber bands in the same ice cream containers!

They have a new flavor, Cold Brewed Coffee.  It’s GUUUUUUD!

Ryan
    Keymaster

MMMM coffee Ice Cream is usually pretty good. Trying to avoid it now Or I will have to buy all new shirts, water must be getting hotter here all my shirts are a bit too small all the sudden.

I did dig all the way through the material in one go with the flush cut bit, if I had to use the bandsaw first then the Router…too long. Tweak the settings a bit more and I will be happy. The second one I fully CNC routed, and it went really fast and I only spent 3 minutes sanding it and no burnt edges to try and sand out.

I didnt even see that. Thanks for not rubbing my nose in my mistake. 😀

You know we love you still. You are allowed one mistake a year….before you tarnish your reputation.

Mike
    Participant

I would rather spend the money a vac bigger than my little 2 gal shop vac.

I recently picked this up at HD along with a 5 gallon bucket. I was going to try and build my own Thien baffle with two buckets, but for $40 and just snapping on the bucket, it was a pretty easy choice. It does a really good job of separating out the dust, I cut some high density foam on a CAM test with it attached, and it even captured the lightweight foam. I figured the foam would just take a shortcut right into the shop vac hose, but it actually circled around and fell into the bucket. Best features are that you don’t have to clean your filter nearly as often, and the vacuum never loses suction because the vac container doesn’t fill up (unless you forget to empty the 5 gal bucket).

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I bought the harbor freight big-ass dust collector and it works great, but I haven’t quite figured out a simple way to add a cyclone or how to hose up my shop. If you’re going to be running a tool most of the day, I think it’s worth some time investing in a good DC (I don’t run it most of the day). It seems like anything with the word “dust collection” is better for this kind of stuff than the “vac” stuff.

It has a motor, directly attached to a fan, which is the first place the air/dust goes, so I’m paranoid about big chips, then it pushes into a big (huge) bag, the dust settles to the bottom, and the air gets “filtered” out the top.

I’m thinking I’d rather have the hose connect to a separator (there are a few designs out there already) and then go to the motor (so no worries about chips) and then just vent the rest outside. I don’t think many people will mind a few fine particles of dust in my back yard. Dilution is the solution to pollution! It sort of depends on how good the separator is. It should be way smaller without those two giant bags.

Than I want to make some ducts for the table saw, my eventual workbench, maybe a few smaller hoses for things like the drill press or other benchtop tools, and a floor sweep. I think I’m going to have to quit my job to get all this stuff done. Or get divorced, with joint custody… Maybe not worth it. I’ll just spread the work out over the next 6 years.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I think I saw you post that before, I actually went and looked for it yesterday. I couldn’t find it at my Home Depot. I didn’t last long though my HD broadcasts there phone ringing over the whole store and it drives me insane, it never stops for long…”hardware line 10″….then more ringing.

I can’t believe there isn’t some sort of integrated system yet. I saw some shop vacs with bags, but that would get expensive unless they are reusable. My little vac is so small the hose port points right at the filter so it immediately losses suction. There is a vac that was linked here last year, I need to decide if a new vac or that bucket lid is a better investment.

Hope to build my LR table today.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The shop at my last job had a floor sweep….game changer! Sweeping actually got done because it was not a big deal. There where gates everywhere, another cool one was a sanding table that was hooked into the same HF dust system.

Viewing 30 posts - 151 through 180 (of 388 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.