Grand plans for an update… not so much. *LR2 Released*

New Home Forum LowRider Hardware Development – LowRider Grand plans for an update… not so much. *LR2 Released*

Tagged: 

This topic contains 418 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by  Joe 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 271 through 300 (of 419 total)
  • Author

David Walling
    Participant

I really like the redesign. If I ever have room, I’ll build one!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

What LCD holder do you have printed there? Also i like that mount do you happen to have either STLs or a link to those? Sorry for all the questions i just really like that design.

That is the standard LCD clip for my case zip tied to the Z stepper. I need to make it a proper part but had to wait until it was built to see what seemed best. I am not a fan of those ribbons moving around during a cut so it might still end up somewhere different.

Mitch
    Participant

Got ya. Originally i was going to place my Ramps board and Pi under the table with a mount off one end of the table for the LCD. Either way this is looking good. I have ordered my SS parts and i am printing components right now.

Neil
    Participant

the second these things leave beta state im in! Thank you all for your continued ‘testing’. I will be looking forward to this build the second I am done with my homebrew beer all electric brew in a bag control panel!

Too many projects not enough time.

Awesome work as always Ryan!

Neil

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hmm, been cutting all morning something is fishy.

Seems super sturdy all the way up at 90mm Z it isn’t bad at all. I can draw a giant square 2’x4′ and the diagonals are as perfect as I can measure with a tape. tested that twice, first thing this morning and then just before I took lunch after all the cuts.

For some reason the 611 plates are coming out parallelogram. That suggests it is moving, or I happen to be cutting on a weird spot, but I did move it. Even the first holes I punch in the corners first are off so it isn’t a cutting force thing.

I have a test to try, I need to run to the hardware store though. I need to move the table out from the wall so I can get all the way around. If my 2x is twisted it could kick it over by pushing out the Z rails at the bottom on one side….Hard to put into words. I will check after I ship today’s orders.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Sounds like you need my hack tracks. 😀

Cutting in foam really helped my debugging. Just in case you’re not doing that already.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I actually thought a lot about that. That keeps the stuff away from the wheels and the Z screws, also keeps it tracking straight…if it is installed straight. I would prefer that be optional though.

Barry
    Participant

A couple lines on my last cut were off a tad.  Got to looking and when it travels in the X positive direction, the vac hose will start to rest on the belt, which causes it to move.  I need to fix that.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well my assistant didn’t tighten a belt after making some final adjustments….Good help these days is hard to find.

I think I need a proper pen mount if I want to check square by marking near the boundary corners. The hex on the pencil started causing me issues, and reading a mark that long by myself with a tape got frustrating. I was a little off square and needed to tighten up the X belt after setting the distance between the sides. It is close but I would like to do better.

In foam, how accurate can you really read the corner…632×631 diagonals.

In 1/4″ Baltic Birch full DOC 9mm/s .25mm finishing pass full depth at 11mm/s, diagonals are 263.5mmx262.5mm. CAD says 263.33mm, I swear I did not check CAD until I measured several times and typed it here.

“Short” in the same direction.  I know it might not seem like much but I think I am still not square, and I need to repeat the cut a few more times to verify. Heffe could be right, I am not sure if the steppers only engage at a full step or not.

PS, I don’t have an assistant.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Heffe could be right, I am not sure if the steppers only engage at a full step or not.

If you’ve got 16 microsteps/step, and 100 microsteps/mm, that’s 0.01mm/microstep, and you could miss up to 15 of them, so you could be off by at most 0.15mm due to that, per side. It’s an error, but not a big one. Dual endstops could get closer than that, I think, but it’s probably more paranoia than actual perfection.

I suppose it could be even a little worse if the drivers always started with the same coil energized. That could add one full step of error to that (so another 0.16mm).

w.r.t. a pen mount, can you attach an MPCNC mount where the dust port goes or something like that? Where do you install the LASER?

Neil
    Participant

Dedication… your off a nut hair and still working towards perfection! I actually miss troubleshooting issues on a new build. I guess I need to join in on the beta fun sooner than later. My 3d printer has been collecting dust for the past few months.

Neil

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

I went to lowes looking for wood and even their premium wood was all twisted and horrible. I guess ill order some online.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Double post…

Ryan
    Keymaster

Heffe, it is just one of those things what do they do? I can’t really blame anything on it but it is stuck in my head now. It seems like I have made a crazy assumption to think they start exactly where you have them, how would they know? Or maybe instead of using a movement as a way to lock them, maybe energizing them can somehow lock them in better? Minor issue I hope/assume. But it will make all the machines better. Easy enough to test, a dial indicator and a stepper.

Neil, I know I know but I just assume If I can’t get a really consistent good cut how will I be able to help anyone…and as frustrating as it is I do enjoy it. I think I will start releasing parts and making instructions now it is close enough, I am confident it is better than the first version.

Tacos, The crappy boards never used to bother me. I wanted more and cheaper. I have a few lumber places around now and I pick with a much more critical eye. Dam CNC’s are making me take accuracy to a whole new level, and it doesn’t seem like a good thing.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Yeah, i would mind it so much but this is for my plates. If the board is twisted then its going to be hard to get the machine to run cut strait.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Easy enough to test, a dial indicator and a stepper.

I’m also pretty sure they skip steps in whole chunks, if that makes you feel better. It’s open loop, so when you skip a step, it probably goes two full steps.

I went to lowes looking for wood and even their premium wood was all twisted and horrible. I guess ill order some online.

There are a ton of local hardwood shops. They get the best stuff. It’s worth the effort to find one, especially if you’re planning on milling real hardwoods. One here in Denver has a “board of the month” where they have a discount on a specific type.

Hardwood shops sell the most of roughsawn lumber, which requires at least a planer to clean up, but they will sell some s4s stuff at a premium.

Also, any hardwood has some twist in it. Engineered boards won’t. I think it would be cool to find some LAM beams or similar to make a table out of. That would be square AF (as frogs). You’d have to go to a local building supply store to find those in small quantities.

Allison D
    Participant

Hey Ryan, Thank you for the amazing work on this!  I’m going to start printing parts for a build of your beta once you have the new Beta 2 come out. Do you think you will have those done fairly soon?

Hopefully I’ll have a finished unit by mid-late August.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HARD WORK AND TESTING!

Allison.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Yeah i was thinking about using 2020 extrusion but the longest i can find is 96 inches. I think the calculator calls for 115ish. Then i did a test with the wheel in the grove and it likes to climb out of the grove. But my test was not very scientific or at all.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

IMHO, the perfect material is going to be baltic birch plywood (except maybe some type of metal, but I’m a woodworker, dammit).

I would choose 1/2″ or maybe 3/8″ if it made some screws fit better. 1/2″ would be super flat at these 12″ish sizes.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Do you think you will have those done fairly soon?

As soon as I have an LCD mount. The current files (linked in this thread) seem ready to me. Probably put parts on Thingiverse in the next day or two. The hard part is I want to use the z rail hole to mount the lcd…but everyone gets different ID rails. So I might use the Stepper instead.

Then i did a test with the wheel in the grove and it likes to climb out of the grove.

It is almost like over constraining it. Works great if everything is perfect but if you are off the slightest bit in any way it is off drastically. I wanted to make this work on the back of a angle with two bearings but that makes the error multiply if it is slightly cocked. To make your system work you would want one wheel in the groove and the other side on a flat surface. One groove does all the work, no need for two.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Allison D
    Participant

Okey dokes- thanks.  Looks like a “Let’s spend 3 weeks printing” is going to happen.  Looking forward to it though.  New fun!

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Its like work knew i needed this. I wonder what size v wheel they use. 20180727_080037

Mitch
    Participant

Its like work knew i needed this. I wonder what size v wheel they use.

That thing is BUILT. Smallest V wheels i am seeing that might fit that is 3″ irons good for 450Lbs per wheel which might be a tad overkill.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#v-groove-wheels/=1dw8isd

Unless you go with something below which is going to be quite expensive vs skate wheels.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#v-groove-wheels/=1dw8j9k

If they have a second one of those i could come pick it up…. Had to try.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Can you just use a longer bolt and two hockey wheels?

Also, wow.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

That thing is BUILT. Smallest V wheels i am seeing that might fit that is 3″ irons good for 450Lbs per wheel which might be a tad overkill.

Unless you go with something below which is going to be quite expensive vs skate wheels.

They have like 10 of these things. Not only is it built. But its an aircraft tool that holds molds. So its going to be as strait as something can get.

Mitch
    Participant

They have like 10 of these things. Not only is it built. But its an aircraft tool that holds molds. So its going to be as strait as something can get.

Not trying to overstep my bounds here but if they are getting rid of a few of them i would be interested. Depending on location i would be in for one. How wide are they?

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Not sure 5 feet? But i doubt they are getting rid of any of them. Their bond shop is a big money maker. And these tools work with every mold they make. I only posted it because i was thinking about how perfect it would be. And to give me design ideas for mine.

If they where to get rid of one Im not sure how you’d even get on home. It looks longer than a tow truck bed.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

If they where to get rid of one Im not sure how you’d even get on home. It looks longer than a tow truck bed.

1) looks like its got a hitch, so that would be fun! 🙂

2) If you’re building something like a torsion box, you need a flat surface to copy. Might not be the worst place to build one, taking long coffee breaks to glue and nail more pieces in.

Mitch
    Participant

Not sure 5 feet? But i doubt they are getting rid of any of them. Their bond shop is a big money maker. And these tools work with every mold they make. I only posted it because i was thinking about how perfect it would be. And to give me design ideas for mine.

Darn i really thought they were getting rid of them. I have a 22′ trailer and a cummins to pull it home. Either way those would be perfect for the lowrider. I still have to decide how i am going to build my table. My final parts will be printed today. Now waiting for my plates to get done and if time allows polished.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Sorry if i got your hopes up. That wasnt my intention. Only want to show how nice it would be.

Viewing 30 posts - 271 through 300 (of 419 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.