geneb's build (finally!)

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC geneb's build (finally!)

This topic contains 122 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Gene buckle 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 123 total)
  • Author

Gene buckle
    Participant

So after well over a year of poor project management, I’ve finally gotten past the “part collection” stage of my MPCNC build. \o/

I originally wanted to be able to swap out the “core” of the machine in order to route wood or plasma cut metal.  In the end I decided to scrap that idea – too much hassle to get to the goal, and not enough payoff. 😉

The revised machine design is going to be built for a roughly 24×24 work area.  The frame of the machine will be separate from the working area in order to provide a bit more flexibility.

Attached is a photo of the frame design.  It’s made from 2x4s that will be cut down to 3-1/4″ x 1-7/16″ and 2x6s cut down to 5-1/4″ x 1-7/16″. This will help ensure that the framework is as straight as possible.  The legs will be simple 4x4s with no squaring ops done.

The cutting area will be a torsion box that’s 24 x 24 x 5-11/16.  The odd height will allow for a 3/4″ thick spoil-board.  The tortion box will be built with an open interior structure in order to allow for airflow.  Once built, I’ll cut a vacuum plenum and t-track slots into the top surface.  The plenum will be multi-zone, although I haven’t decided if I’ll go with four large zones or a mixture of larger and smaller zones.  The drawing for this hasn’t been done yet, but I know how it’ll look in my head. 😉

I’ve got all the dimensional lumber and sheet goods for this thing, so hopefully I’ll be able to start cutting wood soon. 😀

g.

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

I can’t wait to see this Beast come together. I am sure it has been stewing around in your head for a while!

Barry
    Participant

‘Bout time!  ?

Gene buckle
    Participant

Ok, here’s the vacuum plenum:

vac-plenum

Here’s the torsion box:

torsion-box

I’m going to try to avoid using my ShopBot for any of this. 😉  The torsion box holes won’t look like that – I’ll use a hole saw to cut the ends and a jigsaw to cut out the center.  I should probably run a roundover bit on the edges as well.

g.

Gene buckle
    Participant

Here’s what it looks like “together”:

full-table-and-torsion-box-assembly
    quarter-view-of-the-table
    I need to work out what the torsion box is going to rest on, but I don’t expect that to be much of an issue.

The hole at the back of the torsion box is the vacuum source, typically a shop vac.

g.

Barry
    Participant

Cool!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Before you get to crazy with it, remember it is off centered in work area.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Gene buckle
    Participant

What do you mean by “off centered”?

tnx.

g.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Closer to a corner, for me the way I always build mine, the work area is skewed to the lower left corner.

Gene buckle
    Participant

So basically, the “best practice” here would be to not set the torsion box in place until after the rest of the machine is built?  The idea being that once the machine is built, I’ll know where 0,0 is for 100% certainty and can fix the torsion box in place at that time?

tnx.

g.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Exactly.

If you are using a dewalt 660 I can get you a dimension if that helps.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Or you could just make it too big.

David Walling
    Participant

Or like I did and make it too small… but somehow in only one dimension… stupid maths.

Gene buckle
    Participant

I’m using a 400W spindle.  I’ll just go ahead and build out the framework and go from there.  I’ve got a deck to build before that though. 🙁

g.

Gene buckle
    Participant

I’m FINALLY getting to cut parts for the machine base!

side-components

Two 2×6’s cut down to 5.25″ wide and four 2×4’s cut down to 3.25″ wide.  They’ll be pocket-screwed and glued together to form the side frames that you see in the renderings I posted above.  They’re 60″ long.

We’ll see how much I get done tomorrow. 😀

g.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You have more patience than anyone I know. Knowing this machine has held you interest over these last few years does make me feel good!

Gene buckle
    Participant

It’s not so much “patience” as “project overload” and tiny fragments of time to work on things.  I’m sticking with the 4×4 build area and I’ll figure something out for the axis supports.

You’ve got a great, usable design in the MPCNC Ryan.  It’s something to be proud of for sure.

g.

Barry
    Participant

Hey Ryan, think he’ll have it done by MRRF?  ???

Gene buckle
    Participant

Don’t hold your breath. 😉

g.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Barry
    Participant

hahahahahahaha

Gene buckle
    Participant

Prototype for the new 60″ x 4″ MPCNC:

two-rails-built

😀

g.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh dang, you are not messing around Gene….Barry I think you got to him!

Gene buckle
    Participant

Hrm….

just-resting

The 2×6 between the two rails is 36″ wide.  I cut it based on the wrong assembly drawing. 😀  I’d have cut the other ones (55.375″), but the power switch on my dust collector sh*t the bed on me.

g.

Attachments:

Barry
    Participant

Hrm….

just-resting

The 2×6 between the two rails is 36″ wide. I cut it based on the wrong assembly drawing. ? I’d have cut the other ones (55.375″), but the power switch on my dust collector sh*t the bed on me.

g.

Just twist the wires together, it works for telco guys…

Gene buckle
    Participant

table-completed

*drops mic*

🙂

g.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes!!!

I see some room in that dream shop for my tent and a blow up mattress, can’t wait to move in. Don’t worry I can sleep through any noise you might make.

Gene buckle
    Participant

If you can sleep through the two vacuum motors I use for the ShopBot, you’re either deaf or dead. 🙂

g.

Ryan
    Keymaster

What? I can’t hear you? Sorry I spend a lot of time around loud tools, and my younger days were full of sub-woofers, my hearing is gone.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

What?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.